Godzilla - New Trailer

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    would it have hurt to make the title a little different from the fairly recent version?
    But why?

And such as?

Godzilla Rises? Godzilla Begins? Godzilla Stomps About a Bit?
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    The very first Godzilla movie ended with it being killed by a ray gun which reduced Godzilla to bones.

However, in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (this movie is a gas and should be made available on Region 2 in the UK) the creature is not killed and is last seen drifting away amongst the waves.

Currently, most of the Japanese/American versions of the original Godzilla movies, and there are a few, are Region 1 and can be bought from Amazon. It is annoying because a multi-region DVD player is required.

Eeh, no it didn't. In the first movie, Godzilla is killed with the oxygen destroyer in Tokyo Bay.
    Which Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla movie are you talking about? In all the earlier ones Mechagodzilla is destroyed with Godzilla unharmed. In the latter ones he's frozen with the Absolute Zero cannon but is then seen moving out to sea in the closing credits (Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla), and strapped to Mechagodzilla who then drops down into the depths of the ocean (Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S). In Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 (which is mistitled as its not a sequel to any of the earlier movies), Mechagodzilla/Garuda is destroyed after Godzilla is rejuvenated by Rodan's life force before we see him and the baby Godzilla leaving via the sea again.
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Did they ever kill Godzilla in the Japanese movies, all the ones I remember as a kid he always waded off into the sunset. I even remember one with a baby Godzilla, totally cute attacking another monster who was having a go at his Dad.

My memory might be rusty.

There are only two instances of Godzilla actually dying*. In the original he's killed by the oxygen destroyer in Tokyo Bay and in Godzilla vs Destroyah he suffers a nuclear meltdown and destroys himself which in turn mutates the baby Godzilla into a fully grown adult to take over.

* (Other than the 1998 US movie where he dies of course!)
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    Eeh, no it didn't. In the first movie, Godzilla is killed with the oxygen destroyer in Tokyo Bay.
    Which Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla movie are you talking about? In all the earlier ones Mechagodzilla is destroyed with Godzilla unharmed. In the latter ones he's frozen with the Absolute Zero cannon but is then seen moving out to sea in the closing credits (Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla), and strapped to Mechagodzilla who then drops down into the depths of the ocean (Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S). In Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 (which is mistitled as its not a sequel to any of the earlier movies), Mechagodzilla/Garuda is destroyed after Godzilla is rejuvenated by Rodan's life force before we see him and the baby Godzilla leaving via the sea again.

I am more than happy to be corrected over the Oxygen destroyer in the first Godzilla movie.

The Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla I watched recently via my android streamtv box. I think I have the title right, the ending showed Godzilla just swimming away from Tokyo.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »

I find it interesting that it takes place in Tokyo Bay. Although I've seen later films on TV, I don't think I have seen the first film because I didn't know it'd ever died or that it ended in Tokyo Bay.

For centuries, Tokyo Bay was a popular port but declined until during or after the war when it became a wasteland. During the 1950s, three young but ambitious land developers invested loads of money in the area as an attempt to turn it into an industrialised area.

This sparked a storm of criticisms and scepticism, which almost destroyed those guys' careers, but they persisted. One said, during a press conference to address the criticisms, "It'll one day save the world, you'll see." He was immediately condemned for being arrogant and cocky. In spite of this, Tokyo Bay went on to become the largest industrialised area in the country.

I wonder if the film used that guy's assurance as a basis of Godzilla's demise?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw the Asian trailer - Godzilla fights a flying monster! :o

Hopefully he gets to live at the end of this one then.
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I am more than happy to be corrected over the Oxygen destroyer in the first Godzilla movie.

The Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla I watched recently via my android streamtv box. I think I have the title right, the ending showed Godzilla just swimming away from Tokyo.

Well that could be almost any of them as that is what usually happens at the end of every Godzilla movie!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The embargo seems to have been lifed on Godzilla and reviews are pouring out.

DS gave it 3/5, Empire gave it 3/5 and the rest all seem to be mixed.

Good - seems to be the general film-making, epic action and Godzilla reveal. Basically all the Godzilla stuff is excellent.

Bad - anything to do with humans. Shoddy script with poor characters, characters underwritten, no character development and awful male lead which i was surprised to discover is actually Aaron Taylor Johnson and not Bryan Cranston as the trailers led me to believe.

I'm certainly going to watch it as i think it looks like a great monster movie but my expectations have now been lowered.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The embargo seems to have been lifed on Godzilla and reviews are pouring out.

DS gave it 3/5, Empire gave it 3/5 and the rest all seem to be mixed.

Good - seems to be the general film-making, epic action and Godzilla reveal. Basically all the Godzilla stuff is excellent.

Bad - anything to do with humans. Shoddy script with poor characters, characters underwritten, no character development and awful male lead which i was surprised to discover is actually Aaron Taylor Johnson and not Bryan Cranston as the trailers led me to believe.

I'm certainly going to watch it as i think it looks like a great monster movie but my expectations have now been lowered.

Yep, you summed up the general consensus so far. I predict about a mid 50s rating on rotten tomatoes. Quite disappointing seeing as the trailers looked promising and the 90s versions were so bad.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ Screendaily loved it, and they often offer the most sober of views.

IIRC, early BO predictions suggest a $600m hit, though word of mouth could push that up/down depending.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they remaking this yet again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been to see it at a movie screening, I'd give it a 7/10. Interesting plot and Bryan Cranston is great! I had a problem with how dark it all was though - it had to be to show the effect the monsters had on the power supply but it made it hard to see some of the action for me.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they remaking this yet again?

So they can get it right this time. This is one of the rare times when a remake is justified.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like the best 'Godzilla' film has already been made and that was called Cloverfield.

Be interested to see this anyway although considering Gareth Edwards was directing I had higher hopes that it wouldn't be just action with little substance.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time review isn`t good either:

http://time.com/95212/godzilla-review-movie-bryan-cranston/
    Godzilla dawdles toward its Doomsday climax; the movie could win a prize for Least Stuff Happening in the First Two-Thirds of an Action Film. The title character looks imposing, in the CGI work of Peter Jackson’s Weta Digital sorcerers, but the movie is often so dark, using a palette of gray and brown, as if coasted in rust, that he’s hard to see. (The sound effects do most of the scary work.) And he gets little screen time. Godzilla isn’t even the main monster

Nor The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/11/godzilla-bryan-cranston-gareth-edwards-first-look-review
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this today, thought it was ok. Seemed like much of the story may had been a nod to or a throwback to the 1950's monster movies as it was very corny but mostly funny in places, many things I dont think you'd see with modern writing generally.

The effects were great, Godzilla looked fine and his fights were well done. I enjoyed it but it wasn't what I'd hoped for. I was wanting to love it as I did Rise of the Planet of the Apes a couple of years ago.

Glad I went to see it but to me it's a one watch movie so no blu ray in a few months.

Godzilla 6.5/10
    Cloverfield 8/10
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from it, was alright. Its just a solid summer blockbuster, big scale set pieces, amazing CGI etc etc Other than the monster the only other good thing was Bryan Cranston even though he was not at his best I thought.

The younger lead guy was just terrible, there was more emotion and reaction in just one of Godzilla's tail whips than him.

Give it a solid 3/5
    Call me crazy but Cloverfield is by far still the best modern monster movie to beat.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Cloverfield is a fantastic film.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    Just back from it, was alright. Its just a solid summer blockbuster, big scale set pieces, amazing CGI etc etc Other than the monster the only other good thing was Bryan Cranston even though he was not at his best I thought.

The younger lead guy was just terrible, there was more emotion and reaction in just one of Godzilla's tail whips than him.

Give it a solid 3/5
    Call me crazy but Cloverfield is by far still the best modern monster movie to beat.

Cloverfield is my favourite monster movie, hoped this would top it but the story was too lame. I'm glad I've seen it but it was only just worth the money at the cinema.
    I have a feeling I'll be in the minority by not loving this, like I was for Gravity, the new James Bond movies and Batman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Personally I thought it was a nice build up, you get to know the main characters, and you're getting excited about the monster reveal. Then shortly after the first monster awakens the movie switches it's focus to different characters and for me it lost something. Aaron Taylor Johnson could have been replaced with a cardboard cut out he was so dull. :yawn:

The CGI and stuff was great and the action scenes pretty good, but I couldn't give a monkeys about the outcome because none of the humans seemed to matter in the story, it was all about the monster fights.

But then I take it that's what Godzilla is all about.

5/10
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure what to make of this. Some fantastic destruction scenes and Godzilla is fine, but for me some of the acting wasn't brilliant. Some of the actors seemed to have the same expression all the way through which started to be funny and irritating all at the same time.
    Cinema was about a quarter full for the 8pm 3D showing, and nobody made a sound throughout nor gave much reaction at the end. Just about summed up the experience really.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else have issues with the sound especially during the dialogue scenes, maybe it was just the cinema I was in.

The film was ok but dreadful character development which is a real shame because there were some terrific character actors in the film.

Aaron Johnson was pretty bad but I love him in Kickass so I blame the scriptwriter for that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else have issues with the sound especially during the dialogue scenes, maybe it was just the cinema I was in.

The film was ok but dreadful character development which is a real shame because there were some terrific character actors in the film.

Aaron Johnson was pretty bad but I love him in Kickass so I blame the scriptwriter for that

You blame the screenwriter for an actor's supposed bad performance?!

That's a new one!

Surely the actor is to blame as well as the director who, y'know, actually directs the actor?!?!?!
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    You blame the screenwriter for an actor's supposed bad performance?!

That's a new one!

Surely the actor is to blame as well as the director who, y'know, actually directs the actor?!?!?!

Well these actors are usually good, and a Director who's last film was really good, the problem really was badly written characters, not developed enough
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'm not really sure what to make of this remake. The opening sequence was good, and the rare parts with Godzilla on screen were awesome, and I mean jaw-droppingly awesome, but the rest got a bit dull at times... Mainly when Aaron Taylor Johnson was on screen. I just didn't care at all about him or his family. I don't know whether to criticise him or the person who wrote his character, probably the latter. It's a great shame the film didn't have more Bryan Cranston because I liked him and his character. What I probably disliked most was how
    the film kept teasing us with the Muto monsters and Godzilla looking like they were about to square off or reek some havoc before cutting to a news broadcast recounting the event I wanted to see, but I kind of understood as it was mainly told from the humans' perspective (until the final fight)

Like some other posters here I really liked Cloverfield, so naturally I went in comparing this film to that one. I think it probably just fell short. Where Cloverfield is an 8 I'd probably say this was a 7. It felt weird bemoaning the lack of action to my friend when the last film we saw together was Man of Steel, and I walked out then bemoaning the excessive amount of action!