Options

Channel 5: Why is it the least watched main channel?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree with you on some points, but what documentaries on C5 are good?
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Channel 5 now have rights to BIG brother, can somebody give an estimate of how many viewers this will rake in?:rolleyes:

This will be a very interesting test to see if there will be a major drop in viewers from when it was on C4 . Of course if they make too many changes that will affect the number of viewers and they must have Davina.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davina has already said she will not be hosting the new series! I wonder how many viewers watched on C4, do u know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    250k? No way im thinking more like 2.2-3.2 million

No way will it get that many.
    Big Brother 11 was usually getting 2.2m-2.6m every night. That was an increase on Big Brother 10 though which had very bad ratings (i think it dipped to below 1m at one point), probably because it was the last ever series. How many of those viewers will stay with it to channel 5, and how many new people will even know about it when it returns, depends. I imagine 1m-1.5m, probably not much higher.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely agree. But you take a look at the majority of responses on this thread, and people are blaming the quality of the content. And they're either doing that through naivety or to try and be funny.

Never had any problem with the content- that I liked. ITV has just as much rubbish(for me) as Five. It's they way they went American in presenting the broadcasts. Surely a new channel needs to be building an audience, not driving away viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i actually get your point, i was thinking of some of the better ratings.
    I reckon 850k lowest
    and... 1.91m highest!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    250k? No way im thinking more like 2.2-3.2 million

TBH I meant about 2.5 million, about the same as they got on E4, if I remember rightly.

I think 250k was the live feed numbers.
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Never had any problem with the content- that I liked. ITV has just as much rubbish(for me) as Five. It's they way they went American in presenting the broadcasts. Surely a new channel needs to be building an audience, not driving away viewers?

American in what way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What ratings do you think kids morning show, Milkshake! gets?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Channel 5 has a high number of excellent quality documentaries, films and drama....

No they don’t. They’re the home of the freakshow/Hitler/shark documentaries, they’re one of the few broadcasters that STILL pans and scans widescreen films and I don’t call wall-to-wall CSI to be anything other than lazy, wallpaper drama scheduling. To put the icing on the cake when they do get great shows like Breaking Bad or Justified they’re shoved, out of sight and stuffed with ads on FiveUSA (or whatever they’ll be calling it next month) and even rushed out five nights a week post-midnight at Xmas as BB was.

This is a channel that thinks following an ex-Big Brother contestant around or filming Eddie Stobart trucks up and down the motorway constitutes worthwhile television. They’re shitpeddlers to the underclass. And they know it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great piece of opinion and I agree on some of the aspects.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    • Because it's newest
    • Because it doesn't have universal coverage
    • Because it's sh!t

;)
    Not sure the second one still applies anymore given that anyone can receive C5 with digital tv of any kind nowadays. As for your third point, maybe but its no worse than C4 right now imo. At least C5's schedule isn't stuffed with property programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American in what way?

One of many examples. This is probably the worst of the lot, along with the jumping kangaroo one. American broadcasts have these as well. Might as well watch at US pace than on Five.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAAojv-A5M
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davina has already said she will not be hosting the new series! I wonder how many viewers watched on C4, do u know?

I read the final show got over 4 million but the last series averaged over 2 million. BB used to get around 8 million at its peak.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23736985-channel-4-to-axe-big-brother-after-11th-series-next-year.do
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    One of many examples. This is probably the worse along with the jumping kangaroo. American broadcasts have these as well. Might as well watch at US pace than on Five.

In fairness, that is particularly bad, though not as bad as the time it went out in a documentary about a train crash. But they only started doing that in 2008, and the whole issue of their programmes rating relatively worse than other terrestrial channels was present well before this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh i was thinking around that.

What does everyone think about the axing of Live from Studio Five and the introduction of OK! TV?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five months of Big Borether could prove to be a poisoned chalice as viewers will get bored with it. I can foresee Channel 5 dropping it when the two year deal ends. I reckon ratings could fall well below a million. It might have been a better idea to bury this forgettable show forever but since the Daily Star, which relies on Big Bore for most of its news in the summer, owns Channel 5 I can see why it's been revived.
  • Options
    ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC it didn't have Nationwide reach when it first started. Has it now got 100% coverage with all the various means of reception. Maybe that had some effect on viewer numbers? Just a thought.

It's available for free on cable and satellite (as it has been since launch on cable and just after launch on satellite), but the key thing is it's available to everyone who has Freeview coverage. Their analogue terrestrial coverage is less than the other 4 channels, but that is becoming irrelevant as every month goes by as it will soon have the same analogue terrestrial coverage as the other 4 channels - 0%.

On the subject of why Channel 5's share is so poor - part of it is because of the fact that it's the 5th terrestrial channel (which I've never understood - how can I show get more viewers on BBC One than BBC Two? It's silly - surely a show is a show?) but it also doesn't have the same consistency of quality and/or popular programming as the other networks do.

Since I stopped watching The Gadget Show, I honestly can't think of the last time I watched Channel 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does everyone think about the axing of Live from Studio Five and the introduction of OK! TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Five months of Big Borether could prove to be a poisoned chalice as viewers will get bored with it. I can foresee Channel 5 dropping it when the two year deal ends. I reckon ratings could fall well below a million. It might have been a better idea to bury this forgettable show forever but since the Daily Star, which relies on Big Bore for most of its news in the summer, owns Channel 5 I can see why it's been revived.

I didn't know that :eek: I'm shocked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    It's available for free on cable and satellite (as it has been since launch on cable and just after launch on satellite), but the key thing is it's available to everyone who has Freeview coverage. Their analogue terrestrial coverage is less than the other 4 channels, but that is becoming irrelevant as every month goes by as it will soon have the same analogue terrestrial coverage as the other 4 channels - 0%.

On the subject of why Channel 5's share is so poor - part of it is because of the fact that it's the 5th terrestrial channel (which I've never understood - how can I show get more viewers on BBC One than BBC Two? It's silly - surely a show is a show?) but it also doesn't have the same consistency of quality and/or popular programming as the other networks do.

Since I stopped watching The Gadget Show, I honestly can't think of the last time I watched Channel 5.

What was the coverage when it first launched. That was the point I was making. Did it's xx% coverage affect it getting a larger audience and does that still carry over now, even if people can get it now.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think about the axing of Live from Studio Five and the introduction of OK! TV

Like there’s any difference between the two......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, does anyone know what ratings they both get lol?
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    They have a DOG, IPPs, credit squeezes and they split films with the news.
    Why does a DOG or IPP really bother you? It doesn't have any effect on me. Also, they're not the only one of the main five channels to do IPPs or credit squeezes. As for splitting films with the news, that's a bit harsh considering their late evening news bulletins are only about 5 minutes long if that. At least its better than what ITV used to do when they split films with an entire half-hour long news bulletin including the regional news.
    One of many examples. This is probably the worst of the lot, along with the jumping kangaroo one. American broadcasts have these as well. Might as well watch at US pace than on Five.

TV stations around the world do this sort of thing, not just the US. I think just like with the DOG issue, its just a case of Brits wanting to be different from the rest of the world just for the sake of it. The rest of the world has DOGs and IPPs therefore we mustn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Richard Desmond is the owner of C5 and the Daily Star .
    Some interesting news here about any forthcoming BB

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/0331/news/c5/channel-5-about-to-sign-200m-big-brother-deal