Need advice about what to do next

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have bought a flat and the place above has started a major alteration project.

We work from home and find the noise to be very stressful.

They are meant to be working only from 9am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday but they start early most days. They even worked all day one Saturday as well. These rules are in our block agreement.

They park badly in the car park which leaves few spaces and they don't display permits.

We have complained to our management agent but they do eff all about it.

When we did our alterations, we got it in the neck if we broke any rule, including one of our contractors getting clamped.

We are into our 8th week of this with no sign of it finishing yet.

I have stayed in hotels and used my son's place during the day when he is at work to get some relief during the week but now wondering whether to rent a place short term but that is easier said than done.

To complicate matters my mother is waiting to go into hospital but no date has come up yet. When she does, I can stay in her place and look after the cat.

Staying with my mum isn't an option. My husband can cope for a few hours but with everything going on at home, she can be rather challenging - she was when she was well. She is the sort that battles on and keeps things to herself. I am worried about her but verbally lashes out when you try to help. We are on hand if she needs us and will help when she goes into hospital. She doesn't agree with all the hype about Mother's Day either, so we don't bother with it.

I could go out an get a job instead to get me out of the house but feel too ill and stressed to think straight to get one. Same goes for looking for a property.

We understand people need to alter, as we did but it is the out of hours and lack of information from the owner - she sent us an email with info then changed it all and heard nothing from her since.

The other old/retired people in the block go out and visit friends, plus they are further away from the noise. They seem to cope OK.

Any constructive and sympathetic advice is welcome

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you contact your council's noise pollution department.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When working in such close proximity to other residents, Builders and their bosses (if they are employed privately or subcontracted) need to actin a considerate way, parking stacking, storing tools, materials equipment and keeping to times agreed for work to be carried out are very important.
    If I was adversely affected by issues like those you describe I would be asking the 'Boss' of the firm involved and the flat/house owner for a meeting to discuss the issues you have raised. If thas can't be done because the dispute had caused animosity between you and the builder,I suggest you contact Building control at your local council and aske them to mediate. It is after alltheir job to control building in their area.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should check with your local council to see if the contractors carrying out the work are a member of The Considerate Contractors scheme as if they are there are all kinds of regulations they need to comply with. I work for a contractor & this is definitely your best route so start with as if they are & they are breaching those regulations there are all kinds of sanctions that can be imposed.

If they aren't then I would ring their head office & explain the problem to them.
  • novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say she sent you an email (then changed it all etc.). This, to me, indicates that at least she's bothered to communicate. I would suggest you now take the initiative and find a way to bump into her as she is on her way into or out of her flat. Ask her to join you for a cup of tea/coffee and say you'd like to find out how things are going with the alterations because you're not finding it easy. Make sure you don't stamp, yell, sound aggressive ....

Just see if it's possible to have a reasonable conversation about how you've done things to cope with the noise and disruption and you had a couple of suggestions (e.g. being very strict about when they start and finish the work in the daytime) that maybe she'd be willing to adopt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    novice wrote: »
    You say she sent you an email (then changed it all etc.). This, to me, indicates that at least she's bothered to communicate. I would suggest you now take the initiative and find a way to bump into her as she is on her way into or out of her flat. Ask her to join you for a cup of tea/coffee and say you'd like to find out how things are going with the alterations because you're not finding it easy. Make sure you don't stamp, yell, sound aggressive ....

Just see if it's possible to have a reasonable conversation about how you've done things to cope with the noise and disruption and you had a couple of suggestions (e.g. being very strict about when they start and finish the work in the daytime) that maybe she'd be willing to adopt.

She doesn't live in the flat and abroad a lot with her work.

They are doing the place up to rent out, so won't live in the place.

She said she would post updates on the noticeboard but nothing has been posted since January.

I did run into the co-ordinator and explained it to him.

I felt he didn't really care as he is about to resign from the job as it is going on much longer than planned.

They started on time for a couple of days but reverted again this morning.

I don't feel I will get any support from our neighbours - they are stoical old women who just put up with it or visit people.

They say 'we had to put up with you doing your refurb'. We had to put up with another neighbour's refurb when we visited, we didn't live in our current home at that time. They also had to put up with our other neighbour's refurb, so this will be their third refurb they have had to endure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should check with your local council to see if the contractors carrying out the work are a member of The Considerate Contractors scheme as if they are there are all kinds of regulations they need to comply with. I work for a contractor & this is definitely your best route so start with as if they are & they are breaching those regulations there are all kinds of sanctions that can be imposed.

If they aren't then I would ring their head office & explain the problem to them.

There seem to be a load of individual companies visiting doing their various tasks.

They are very rude when we talk to them when we bump into them in the lift.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to email the owner

She isn't keeping her word to update us, we had to contact her

She said there was another 8 weeks to go

It has already been 9.

I'm not against improvements but when people don't consider who it affects, then it really psses me off!

I am considering moving out.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I suggest you contact your council's noise pollution department.

Take Keefy's advice. The council can fine and take them to court if they don't keep to the law. They are the responsible department. You can't complain if you don't complain to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you

I looked on their website

They are working to our town's rules but not our block's

We complain to the managing agents and they do eff all about it

When we started 5 minutes early, we got it in the neck from everyone, yet they get away with far more.

When I emailed the owner about them being too noisy, she denied they were doing it - basically calling me a liar.

Having a cup of tea would not make a noise like something was going to come through my ceiling!

My family are not advising me to goto the council, so the situation is causing tension between us as well!
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy some ear plugs, I use them when there is a thunder storm because I am frightened by the noise.