'Steal' is daft

square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
Forum Member
Don't like the steal twist in the battle rounds, because its inherently unfair.

You have better chance of staying in the competition if your battle is selected early on, with the coaches steals still in tact than if you come on at the end. There were acts last night who couldn't be 'stolen' through no fault of their own.

Surely your worthiness for staying in the competition should be on merit and not whether your battle was first or last.

If we have to have 'Steals' they should be after every battle has been sung. That's my view.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    There was someone on last night in Will's battle who could not be offered as a steal for anyone because Will was the only one left with a steal. Yet the next battle 'looser' was offered up for a steal because Will still had a steal left. HOW UNFAIR IS THAT!
    How unlucky is that - It was no fault of his own but just bad timing and an ill thought part of this game show.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Battle Round is general is inherently unfair, because so much hinges on who you're paired up against, what the song choice is, and what parts of the song you're given to sing. Also the judges don't have to give a coherent reason for who they're choosing (and they usually don't). You get Will picking people for "tactics", Jessie picking someone because she feels like she can coach them better (usually a get-out clause for when they've sung like shit but she wants to put them through anyway), Danny picking someone because he wants more diversity on his team, and Tom picking someone because they're Welsh. Then you get them all tutting and gasping and clutching their chests at one another for not picking people that they haven't given coherent reasons for wanting either.

Add in the fact that 80% of the duets end up sounding like cat-puke, I'm not sure the problem is the safety-net fiddle of the "Steal".
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just imagine if you auditioned and found some judges already had their quota....your chances of getting through are reduced. That's bad luck but if you get though then get your running order for the battle round and you are towards the end and all the steals have gone you would start to believe in conspiracy theories.

Seriously though I wonder if they do any thing to stop that happening , can anyone remember the order people got through and how it compared with when they had their battles?
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member

You have better chance of staying in the competition if your battle is selected early on, with the coaches steals still in tact than if you come on at the end. There were acts last night who couldn't be 'stolen' through no fault of their own.

Surely your worthiness for staying in the competition should be on merit and not whether your battle was first or last.

If we have to have 'Steals' they should be after every battle has been sung. That's my view.

I think the problem is that there is only the one steal as once you have used it you're full with two it gives more of a chance for everyone and you don't waste the steal. I think two steals should be offered but they're not mandatory

As for doing it at the end put simply it doesn't make for very exciting TV just like hearing everyone audition before deciding who you want on your team.

On the flip-side of your argument you could say you're at an unfair advantage being the last one as you're guaranteed a steal if the coaches haven't used them up which has happened in the US every time since the steals have been introduced.

I'm interested to know if the coaches know the performance order or just see the battles as they happen. You can be more strategic if you know the full list of battles.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that there is only the one steal as once you have used it you're full with two it gives more of a chance for everyone and you don't waste the steal. I think two steals should be offered but they're not mandatory

As for doing it at the end put simply it doesn't make for very exciting TV just like hearing everyone audition before deciding who you want on your team.

On the flip-side of your argument you could say you're at an unfair advantage being the last one as you're guaranteed a steal if the coaches haven't used them up which has happened in the US every time since the steals have been introduced.

I'm interested to know if the coaches know the performance order or just see the battles as they happen. You can be more strategic if you know the full list of battles.

I think this is a no win situation

It gets complicated but if you had 2 steals there is still no guarantee that the coaches wouldn't use them up early and still leave people with no one to steal them towards the end. It would also increase the numbers going forward and I think there are too many anyway.

To avoid that you could balance it by only taking 10 to the battle rounds instead of 12 but then people would be complaining that "great singers" didn't get picked in the blinds because the coaches filled their quota to early etc

As you say they need to create exciting TV so there has to be an element of jeopardy in the process

I've no idea if the coaches know the running order but I'm sure in their minds there are people they plan to steal if the opportunity arises
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I don't like the battle rounds. The idea of the steal is even worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the battle rounds. The idea of the steal is even worse.

It's awkward and over-complicated. And of course unfair for most of the reasons above.
    Monkseal wrote: »
    and Tom picking someone because they're Welsh.

Good one :)
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like the idea of the steal. However, what I don't like is the way they go about it.

I know I'm forever comparing to the US Voice but they really have their format nailed down. The way they introduced the steal in the UK is so awkward and silly. The contestant says a plea, then stands in silence as the coaches look in different directions because they aren't gonna steal them. It's worse when it's only one coach allowed to steal. They just stare at eachother for 5 long drawn out seconds. At least in the US Voice they don't do any pleas. The loser of the battle pretty much just thanks their coach and if someone wants to steal them they hit their button, if not they leave the ring. They don't make it a big deal as they have been doing in our version
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of the steal. However, what I don't like is the way they go about it.

I know I'm forever comparing to the US Voice but they really have their format nailed down. The way they introduced the steal in the UK is so awkward and silly. The contestant says a plea, then stands in silence as the coaches look in different directions because they aren't gonna steal them. It's worse when it's only one coach allowed to steal. They just stare at eachother for 5 long drawn out seconds. At least in the US Voice they don't do any pleas. The loser of the battle pretty much just thanks their coach and if someone wants to steal them they hit their button, if not they leave the ring. They don't make it a big deal as they have been doing in our version

It must be so humiliating for them to stand there trying to act as if it's all fine. The US way seems much better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think they should do the battles and eliminate, and then bring everyone back who was eliminated and the judges should then choose who to steal!!!
  • Grace250Grace250 Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    I think they should do the battles and eliminate, and then bring everyone back who was eliminated and the judges should then choose who to steal!!!

Completely agree with this - I'd much prefer the steals to be done at the end, when the judges know exactly who hasn't got through and can then pick their favourites.

Entertainment wise, if it was done this way I think it would be even better if they could only have ONE chance to steal, so if there was a really popular act that 3 judges wanted to steal, the act would choose their new mentor and the other 2 mentors who lost out wouldn't get to steal another act because they already tried to use their steal.

BUT that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the steal at the end, because some really great acts will miss out :o
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where it has gone wrong is by being manipulated by the coach. I am looking at Will in particular for this.

An alternative is for each coach to pick the steals they would like from the other teams ranked first to last before the battles start. These to be sealed away until the end. Then each coach gets to steal their highest ranked rejected person. If there is a tie the rejectee chooses and the losing coach gets the next one down their list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Where it has gone wrong is by being manipulated by the coach. I am looking at Will in particular for this.

An alternative is for each coach to pick the steals they would like from the other teams ranked first to last before the battles start. These to be sealed away until the end. Then each coach gets to steal their highest ranked rejected person. If there is a tie the rejectee chooses and the losing coach gets the next one down their list.

But wouldn't that mean they were choosing on the strength of the blind audition rather than how the artist has improved --- or not --- and their performance in the battle rounds ??
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    But wouldn't that mean they were choosing on the strength of the blind audition rather than how the artist has improved --- or not --- and their performance in the battle rounds ??

That is the big flaw in my idea. :cool:

Another idea is that each coach gets a ranking pad to pont the losers at the end of each battle round. With only those getting a sufficient number of points up for grabs at the end.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the steel round. There are too many contestants in each team. They don't need more - they need fewer. It has taken ages to get to the live rounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I don't like the steel round. There are too many contestants in each team. They don't need more - they need fewer. It has taken ages to get to the live rounds.

That's one of my issues with the show -- they should only have 6 or 8 per team going through from the Blind Auditions.

That would also make the mentors more discerning about who they turn around for and cut out the Will tactics :)
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good idea that, makes it more fairer.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The idea of the steal is to give each judge 7 rather than 6

1 goes through and the the other 6 battle for 2 places.:)
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have just brought all the eliminated contestants on at the end of the battle rounds and then allowed each judge to pick one to bring back in their team.