Copying from Sky HD box -Game Capture device?

Comments

• Big StevieBig Stevie Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

I wonder why the splitter does this, I assume its just coincidental?
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because it's a cheap Chinese made device and they see no need for hdcp!
    I'm sure that properly branded ones won't be as helpful as this one.
    It's quite well made for the price - metal box etc. until you open the box...
    Inside there are 3 ics - 2 square ones with loads of pins and one dual in-line package.
    One of the square ics has just HSO7 written on it, but the other one has the following:
    P13HDMI 412ADZBE 1335GG written on it.
    The dual in-line package has absolutely nothing on it!
    Soldering is not all that good but it works!
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Not all HDMI splitters do remove HDCP. I have four HDMI splitters of various makes and two of them do, two of them don't so beware.

As for capturing Sky (or any other programmes) it has to be done in real time which means your sky box and your laptop will be out of use all the time it's capturing (unless you've got a very fast laptop) and whilst the end product is very good if you sample at a sufficiently high bit rate, it all becomes a bit of a faff that simply buying the damn thing you're copying on disc saves a lot of bother, time and effort.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    Sadly the tv series I'm wanting to copy isn't availabke on DVD. And I've got about 50 episodes to copy over. It's going to ba a laborious task but I shall do it in stages.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Big Stevie wrote: »
    Sadly the tv series I'm wanting to copy isn't availabke on DVD. And I've got about 50 episodes to copy over. It's going to ba a laborious task but I shall do it in stages.

I notice you are considering canceling Sky to save some money, surely you are not investing in a Hauppage PVR and splitter just to copy a few episodes of a series off the Sky box?

You mention in your other thread you have been looking at a DVD recorder, well that will be able to copy your recordings off the Sky box on either DVD or to the HD, those recorders still available normally come with Freeview, something else you touched on.

What exactly are you wanting to achieve?
    Forum Member
    Whilst i am considering cancelling Sky later this year, Im still wanting to copy over the tv series regardless. And I will need to do so before any cancellation as I believe I will loose any recordings on the Sky box.

If I do go down the dvd recorder route then whilst this will allow me to copy to dvd, I understand I will loose the HD picture quality. I guess I could connect the Hauppauge to the dvd recorder 'HDMI out' and keep using it that way?

The tv series I want to copy will be worth the cost of the Hauppauge for me as its not available to purchase on DVD. The ability to store the series on an external hard drive and connect to my smart tv or PS3 will be extremely useful, and better than storing 30+ dvd's. that it may need.

In anycase, the Hauppauge may still get used by my son when PS4 gaming, or I could sell it and recoup some of the cost. Either way Im happy to buy one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course you can use it to record BBC, C4 and ITV free HD channels in HD from your "freesat from sky" box that it will become when you end your sky contract, as well as the other channels in SD.
    Forum Member
    Whilst i am considering cancelling Sky later this year, Im still wanting to copy over the tv series regardless. And I will need to do so before any cancellation as I believe I will loose any recordings on the Sky box.

If I do go down the dvd recorder route then whilst this will allow me to copy to dvd, I understand I will loose the HD picture quality. I guess I could connect the Hauppauge to the dvd recorder 'HDMI out' and keep using it that way?

The tv series I want to copy will be worth the cost of the Hauppauge for me as its not available to purchase on DVD. The ability to store the series on an external hard drive and connect to my smart tv or PS3 will be extremely useful, and better than storing 30+ dvd's. that it may need.

In anycase, the Hauppauge may still get used by my son when PS4 gaming, or I could sell it and recoup some of the cost. Either way Im happy to buy one.
    Yes you would lose HD copying to DVD, but then if you got it on DVD it would not be HD anyway.

50 episodes and no media release, I'm curious, what TV series is this?

External HDD is the way to go, definitely, it's so flexible and relatively cheap for large capacity drives.

If you don't mind the initial outlay, the Hauppage will definitely come in useful which ever way you decide to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, put the programmes on a hard disk and use something like a wdtv to play it back. Maybe use a hard drive caddy with usb so in time a 2nd hard drive can be swapped over easily. Then a third....
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    50 episodes and no media release, I'm curious, what TV series is this?

I have 2-3 years worth of Gardening World recorded on my Sky box. I keep them on there as my mother likes to watch them when she babysits for us.
    Forum Member
    I have 2-3 years worth of Gardening World recorded on my Sky box. I keep them on there as my mother likes to watch them when she babysits for us.

Gardening is a very popular pastime, I'm genuinely surprised there's nothing of that series on disc. Good luck with the transfers....
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I have managed to do it using an El Gato Game Capture HD 60. I used to use a DVD recorder, but this has made it possible to record HD programmes too directly into MP4 format.

You need the "View HD HDMI Splitter" obtainable from Ebay, you can then record from the Sky box at either 720p or 1080i. I use a HDMI switcher to easily switch between the PS3 (because I actually do want to capture gameplay footage as well) and the non Sky satellite box I use for motorised satellite viewing, although that can record to a USB hard drive, I've used the El Gato to do videos of flicking through international satellite channels.

I'd probably recommend the El Gato Game Capture over Haupaugge as it's extremely stable and the reviews for Haupaugge indicate that you might get more problems. With the included Game Capture software it's very easy to edit a programme you've recorded to remove adverts etc. Files recorder are in MP4 format and would be ready to play on the PS3.

El Gato Game Capture HD 60 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60-for-Microsoft-Xbox-Sony-PlayStation-1080p-60-fps-Record-/191441656576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c92cfdb00

You can opt for the slightly cheaper HD 30 model, which can still record 1080p but is limited to 30 frames per second as opposed to 60. Although interleaved most Sky HD seems to be 50 frames per second, but perhaps it's really more like 25 due to it being 1080i (interlaced) rather than 1080p.

View HDMI splitter
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281177371728?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you record the series via a DVD recorder, you can rip the series to MP4 or Xvid or a similar format for playback on the PS3 using a programme like Im Too DVD Ripper or Handbrake (little bit harder to use but gives better options).
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    Not all HDMI splitters do remove HDCP. I have four HDMI splitters of various makes and two of them do, two of them don't so beware.

As for capturing Sky (or any other programmes) it has to be done in real time which means your sky box and your laptop will be out of use all the time it's capturing (unless you've got a very fast laptop) and whilst the end product is very good if you sample at a sufficiently high bit rate, it all becomes a bit of a faff that simply buying the damn thing you're copying on disc saves a lot of bother, time and effort.

Regards

Mark

That is true about HDMI splitters, I had the faff of having to take one back to Maplins as it didn't strip the HDCP, but the View HD one definitely does. I had bought the El Gato wanting to record the PS3, but I got the HD 60 model which didn't come with the PS3 component cable, so I had to get the HDMI splitter, but it was worth it because it's the only method that gives you true digital recording from the PS3, I then realised it could be useful to record from the Sky box too! And it's brilliant at capture too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMKUTm-RTs
    Forum Member
    That is true about HDMI splitters, I had the faff of having to take one back to Maplins as it didn't strip the HDCP, but the View HD one definitely does. I had bought the El Gato wanting to record the PS3, but I got the HD 60 model which didn't come with the PS3 component cable, so I had to get the HDMI splitter, but it was worth it because it's the only method that gives you true digital recording from the PS3, I then realised it could be useful to record from the Sky box too! And it's brilliant at capture too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMKUTm-RTs

Ive just been reading about the the Elgato HD60 and it does look good.

Im not sure how it compares to the Hauppauge HD PVR2 GE Plus. Apart from having a shorter name :D it appears that the HD60 is smaller, usb powered and records at 60fps.
    Forum Member
    I have managed to do it using an El Gato Game Capture HD 60. I used to use a DVD recorder, but this has made it possible to record HD programmes too directly into MP4 format.

You need the "View HD HDMI Splitter" obtainable from Ebay, you can then record from the Sky box at either 720p or 1080i. I use a HDMI switcher to easily switch between the PS3 (because I actually do want to capture gameplay footage as well) and the non Sky satellite box I use for motorised satellite viewing, although that can record to a USB hard drive, I've used the El Gato to do videos of flicking through international satellite channels.

I'd probably recommend the El Gato Game Capture over Haupaugge as it's extremely stable and the reviews for Haupaugge indicate that you might get more problems. With the included Game Capture software it's very easy to edit a programme you've recorded to remove adverts etc. Files recorder are in MP4 format and would be ready to play on the PS3.

El Gato Game Capture HD 60 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60-for-Microsoft-Xbox-Sony-PlayStation-1080p-60-fps-Record-/191441656576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c92cfdb00

Im close to buying the Elgato HD60, but I've read elsewhere that my 2012 macbook pro might not be powerful enough for the HD60 to work. Any thought please before I order either this of the Hauppauge, thanks :)
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im close to buying the Elgato HD60, but I've read elsewhere that my 2012 macbook pro might not be powerful enough for the HD60 to work. Any thought please before I order either this of the Hauppauge, thanks :)

Why not buy both and try for yourself, i know Amazon have a good returns procedure, and at worst, you'll have to pay the return carriage for the item you decide not to keep.
    Forum Member
    Ive taken the plunge and purchased the following..

Elgato HD60
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MIQ40JQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Neet Splitter box
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D9P1OW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

If I experience any problems with my macbook pro not powering the Elgato then I shall return it for the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus.

Once I've tried copying from my Sky box via my macbook I shall report back with my results. Thanks for all the help so far :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that the neet splitter won't do what you want. You can try it, but I suspect it won't do it.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have gone for this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C23X7Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    as can defo work on my youview box you see in my video on the last page.
  • Square Eyes 53Square Eyes 53 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Should have gone for this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C23X7Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    as can defo work on my youview box you see in my video on the last page.

Bought the one in your link and it does not remove HDCP from Sky+HD.
    Is yours still working and can you advise of connections in case I've made a mistake.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my sky box going to the input and the other devices in outputs 1 & 2 mine seems to work fine.
    Have you got yours plugged in to the power?

My set up is here with it all going.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Z-YINMBDw
    what sky box do you have seems to work OK with my 2tb one?
    Forum Member
    I have my sky box going to the input and the other devices in outputs 1 & 2 mine seems to work fine.
    Have you got yours plugged in to the power?

My set up is here with it all going.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Z-YINMBDw
    what sky box do you have seems to work OK with my 2tb one?

Thanks for the response.
    Plugged into power
    Sky 2tb here
    No laptop

Will have another try.
    Forum Member
    Amajeed2k5 wrote: »
    I've got a similar setup. Sky box connected to HDMI splitter, connected to HDFury (to remove HDCP) connected to Hauppage device. You can then use video capture software that should pick it up.

Could you please tell me in detail how these devices are connected.
    Forum Member
    I could explain mine

Sky HD box into the View HD HDMI splitter, then that into the El Gato HD 60, which allows recording in 1080i from Sky & various satellite channels. You could use the Haupaugge instead of the El Gato. I also have a HDMI splitter box now as well, so I can switch between the PS3, Sky HD, FTA Satellite receiver (for European TV) and VHS/Older Game Consoles which means they can be viewed on the TV or captured/viewed on the PC with El Gato Game Capture.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    Based on recommendations in this thread I have just bought a Hauppage PVR2 and this HDMI splitter. It all works fine so I am now going to extract sections of various music programmes from my Sky+ HD box. Thanks to everyone who posted with advice and recommendations. :)

What video bit rates do people recommend using to get a decent compromise between quality and file size?

The original programmes on the Sky+ box will presumably vary in video bit rates and I can see little point in using a higher bit rate than the original recording. Some are HD and some are SD. Some are recent HD recordings such as Later with Jools Holland and some are older lower quality recordings.

Any advice, comments or suggestions would be welcome.