People leaving Panel Shows....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
Forum Member
✭✭
Simon Amstell's departure from Never Mind the Buzzcocks got me thinking......if the current main hosts / panelists of the other panel shows left, who would you have as their replacements?

For me, it would be:

Q.I > Upon Stephan Fry leaving, have Griff Rhys Jones or Clive Anderson instead (if Alan Davies left I'm not sure who could replace him)

Have I Got News For You > I'd replace Paul Merton with Rory Bremner and Ian Hislop with Clive Anderson

Mock the Week > If Dara O' Briain left I'd replace him with David Mitchell

A Question of Sport > I've started to warm to this show recently, now that they have better guests and have replaced the other t**t with Phil Tufnell. However, I've never really liked Sue Barker as the host, somebody like Lee Mack would be better.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    For me, Clive Anderson is the only alternative QI presenter who would have the paternalistic quality needed, with the air of 'giver of knowledge'.

But David Mitchell and Rory McGrath both come across as knowing a lot.

Actually, I know some people hate him, but Giles Brandreth would slip right into Fry's role. It's got to be someone who's good at revealing the answers in a slightly smug way, not just someone who is good at getting the questions right. Brandreth out-Fry'd Stephen Fry when he was on the panel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Because it's invetiable that they will all leave their respective shows eventually.

It's sad, but the truth is that people these days are either too afraid of being "too well known" for something or get bored quickly, thus preventing them from being dedicated to things long-term. David Tennant on Doctor Who is an exception to this, but it still feels like he's only been around 5 minutes, but he's done longer than Jon Pertwee (who did just over 4 years) so it's quite a long tenure really (adds up to about 4 years and 8 months, so you can call it 5 years).

Back to comedy......Simon Amstell did four series of Buzzcocks, which was about 2 and a half years. Not long enough really, considering that Mark Lamarr hosted the show for 9 years.
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr, you seem to want all the replacements to be more conservative. So, here's my list:

QI: Jerry Sadowitz

HIGNFY: Jon Otway and Freddie Starr

Mock the Week: John Lydon

A Question of Sport: Annabel Chong
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    But John Lydon's very mainstream nowadays!

QI without Stephen Fry is hard to imagine but I think Clive would be good - on the other hand I love him as a panellist so that would be a shame. Love to see Griff on the panel one week (preferably on the same week as Clive and/or Rory.....)