Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of my job, I've worked with quite a few celebs and they fall into various categories: (I won't list everyone, I'd be here all day!)

All round nice people:
    Gordon Ramsey
    Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall
    David Attenborough
    Gary Barlow
    Ant & Dec
    Brad Pitt
    Hugh Jackman
    Dara O'Briain

Complete bumholes to work with, but lovely with the public:
    Cat Deely
    Rowan Atkinson
    John Barrowman

Completely lovely to work with (as long as you're a certain level in the production) but don't like being bothered by the public:
    David Suchet
    Stephen Daldry (Director of Billy Elliot)
    Judi Dench

Complete bumholes full stop:
    Angelina Jolie
    Samantha Bond (Miss Moneypenny in the Pierce Brosnan's Bonds)
    Cilla Black
    Tess Daly
    Lead singer from the Brand New Heavies - not even worth me googling her name!
    why are they bumholes? what did they do :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Shane McGowan of the Pogues once. I asked him for his autograph, and he drew me a pr1ck.

That is very cute and self deprecating, imo. Good on him and a celeb fact I'm actually pleased to know.
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we all forgot Mr Saturday Night Bruce Forsyth.

My mother's friend works at a famous hotel in Britain, she said Autograph hunters were dismissed by Brucie but Terry Wogan also stayed and was the opposite. Very warm, lovely and happy to speak to fans.

brrrr You get nothing for an autograph, not in this game! brrrrr
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Cilla Black again, how many times have I seen her name when discussing what celebrities are really like
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Been to a Buffy/Angel convention then? I'm thrilled that you say that Amy Acker is lovely, I'd love to meet her. If only I could meet someone as nice as Fred Burkle I'd marry her in an instant.

I'd love to have the Denisofs and Anthony Head round for tea. How cool would that be? Almost as fantastic as being transformed into Freddie Prinze Jr and waking up in bed next to Buffy EVERY DAY!!. :);)

Quite a few, yeah :) Though Aly/Alexis and some of the others were stage door meetings (Alexis spent AGES with us in Liverpool talking about all sorts of things - like hoover boxes!) and when I met Joss it was at the Mutant Enemy writers strike march. He posed with my ninja turtle and talked to me and my friend for a good few minutes about utter nonsense, it was great!
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I can't express how jealous I am you met the White Collar cast (just caught up with season two yesterday!), especially Matt Bomer. OMG. Is he as gorgeous in real life? I adore him. :D

Yes yes yes yes yes! Ridiculously gorgeous.
    I've met John Barrowman several times and he's been nothing but lovely to me - gave me a birthday hug on the last occasion and remebered me from previous meetings, which was impressive considering how many fans mob him wherever he goes now, but I have heard he can be quite abrupt sometimes so maybe some people get unlucky and catch him during an off moment?

I think you're right about that which I why I didn't want to flat out accuse him of not being that nice. He's been grumpy but polite a couple of times when I've seen him, but I had one really great chat with him in San Diego when he was doing a signing but there weren't as many crazy, mobby fans as he would get over here so had longer to chat and he was lovely and charming.
    Like you, I've met Ian Somerhalder, Nathan Fillion, Maggie Grace, Tony Head, Jorge Garcia and George Takei. All were super nice to me, and Maggie was soooo jetlagged but she really made an effort, still. Russell Tovy is just ADORABLE. I wanted to take him home. :D

I passed up the chance to see Ian when he was over at Collectormania for Lost, I wasn't that interested back then - I liked Maggie and met Jorge to get an autograph as a Christmas present for a friend, but decided against seeing Ian, though I did take a couple of pictures from a different queue!

The fact Maggie was so jet lagged and still so friendly is what makes her worthy of mentioning as one of the nicest, I think!
    I totally envy you for getting to meet Summer Glau, Amy Acker, Alyson Hannigan & Alexis Denisof. I go to Collectormanias and London Film & Comic Cons when my money situation allows it and I keep hoping some of them will come back as I wasn't doing the whole convention thing when any of them last came over.

I do the full weekend cons as well as Collectormanias which has helped - Amy and Summer are both due back for events next year, though Amy is attending a Dollhouse convention so I probably won't go to that as I wasn't a huge fan. It's a shame as she's so nice and I miss her! She came over every year for a while and now I haven't seen her since 2006. :(
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    Ive mostly met bands (mostly obscure!) but of the rest:

Tim Minchin - Lovely, so tiny in real life too! Stayed and signed autographs for all the fans who waited.

My Chemical Romance - Lovely boys, my daughter was about 11 at the time and they all hugged her, signed personalised autographs and Gerard Way gave her a kiss (which she still talks about constantly now!)

Brian May - Fab

Eric Bristow - Runs a pub near me, always friendly

The Automatic - Grumpy onstage, the bassist walked off in a huff after a fan tried to grab his guitar but nice in a signing.

Paul Gascoigne - Met him a few years ago, he was lovely, picked up my daughter for a hug

Warwick Davies - another gent, happy to pose for photos

Danny John Jules (aka Cat from Red Dwarf) - funny guy, had the kids shouting "FISH!!" for a photo

Bobby G (Bucks Fizz) - spent the night trying to impress women (and failing)

When my son was small he loved F1 and would write to various teams. Jaques Villeneuve sent him a signed cap, he had a lovely hand written note from Ruebens Barrichello and Jackie Stewart sent him a hand signed Christmas Card for years until the Stewart team disbanded :D

Wow that's fantastic! I used to adore jacques Villeneuve when I was about 12 :o:D My son's just started getting into Formula One, may I ask where you get the team addresses from I wouldn't have the first idea where to start looking :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RachVG wrote: »

Yes yes yes yes yes! Ridiculously gorgeous.

I think you're right about that which I why I didn't want to flat out accuse him of not being that nice. He's been grumpy but polite a couple of times when I've seen him, but I had one really great chat with him in San Diego when he was doing a signing but there weren't as many crazy, mobby fans as he would get over here so had longer to chat and he was lovely and charming.

I do the full weekend cons as well as Collectormanias which has helped - Amy and Summer are both due back for events next year, though Amy is attending a Dollhouse convention so I probably won't go to that as I wasn't a huge fan. It's a shame as she's so nice and I miss her! She came over every year for a while and now I haven't seen her since 2006. :(

So, so jealous beyond belief about Matt Bomer. He seems adorable in interviews as well...sounds like he's naturally an all-round nice guy. :)

I think with John Barrowman, he's also VERY focused, so maybe that can come off as being stand-offish sometimes? We all have our off moments, though, so I think some people have just been unlucky and caught him during one of his. He can be a bit machine-like signing if there's a large crowd but I think that's because he just wants to get to everyone.

I love Dollhouse so would happily go to a Dollhouse convention if I have the funds...will have to see, I guess. Amy and Summer are such amazing actresses and I'd love to meet them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    RachVG wrote: »
    Haha! Though that depends what he's dancing too - he did an excellent Macarena while standing on a chair on a cruise I was on - though I had to hold his chair to make sure he didn't die when the boat got sway-y!

Haha that sounds about right! I think I could best describe his dancing as "dad dancing". A great guy with some very funny stories to tell:)
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Wow that's fantastic! I used to adore jacques Villeneuve when I was about 12 :o:D My son's just started getting into Formula One, may I ask where you get the team addresses from I wouldn't have the first idea where to start looking :)

I had rather a crush on Jacques I have to say hehe

We just googled the teams for him and sent them to the UK addresses, they were easy enough to find back then. Bear in mind though that little boy is now almost 18 :p so things may have changed.

DS was obsessed, he was an incredibly clever child who had an amazing mind for figures and facts. I recall him talking to a man on Tenby beach once when he was about 3 and happily naming all the teams and drivers and who had won what race and when etc. Poor man was staggered lol

Good luck!
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    I had rather a crush on Jacques I have to say hehe

We just googled the teams for him and sent them to the UK addresses, they were easy enough to find back then. Bear in mind though that little boy is now almost 18 :p so things may have changed.

DS was obsessed, he was an incredibly clever child who had an amazing mind for figures and facts. I recall him talking to a man on Tenby beach once when he was about 3 and happily naming all the teams and drivers and who had won what race and when etc. Poor man was staggered lol

Good luck!

Haha, sounds like me now! :eek: :D
  • TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own but I don't see it and I wouldn't touch him with my worst enemies!

Bang Tubridy?

Oh. Dear. God.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek::eek::D
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Yeah that's the impression they got from her. She acted like she was way above talking to fans and stuff.

Really? I'm surprised, I've always heard good things about Nadine about from the comments on here.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I know this isnt really the object of the thread, but I met Kimberley Walsh, and not only was she totally stunning, she was really sweet, and spoke to me as if we were old friends. A beautiful woman, inside and out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    A lot of people won't know who these are, but still :)

I've met Rammstein three times now, once at a signing and two aftershows.

Richard: unbelievably lovely, down-to-earth and very open and will chat to you for a long time. Happy to pose for photos and give hugs, (and as my absolute idol, I was completely over the moon). Completely gorgeous up close.

Paul: pretty much the same, down to earth and has lots of time for people. I got a bit starstruck, and couldn't get my words out, but he would have chatted to me for much longer if I could have spoken! Happy to pose for photos and quite flirtatious!

Till: bit hit and miss, reserved and lately not so happy to pose for photos. The first aftershow, he was quite talkative (by his standards) and was allowing photos- the second time, not so much. Still nice and pleasent, but he must have been tired.

Schneider: lovely, very huggy and if you get him talking about drums then he'll talk for a long time. A charmer!

Flake: exactly like his stage persona. Aloof and a tiny bit crazy. Always first to the fans, however.

I also met Apocalyptica, very very down to earth. For an international rock band, they spoke to us like mates. Perttu asked if I had a cigarette, very funny and did some awesome poses for photos.

Just recently, I was at the Adam Lambert concerts and waited near their coaches. Adam ninja-walked to the bus, so he didn't hang around but Monte stuck with the fans for ages, posed for lots of photos and gave lots of hugs. Tommy was the same, very lovely and gorgeous but if he says he's just going on to the bus and will be back in a minute, he won't :(
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that Reese Witherspoon is a bitch and is hard to work with. She does seem very fake in interviews (exaggerated facial expressions).
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Cilla Black again, how many times have I seen her name when discussing what celebrities are really like

What I don't quite get with Cilla, is that I've rarely seen a good word said about her, from anyone who's met her. She's either quite stuck up, or putting on this completely ridiculous and false Liverpool accent.... and yet, she seems to have a huge following of celebrity friends, including Cliff, Gloria, Paul O'Grady, Christopher Biggins, Dale etc. So she can't be all bad surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't quite get with Cilla, is that I've rarely seen a good word said about her, from anyone who's met her. She's either quite stuck up, or putting on this completely ridiculous and false Liverpool accent.... and yet, she seems to have a huge following of celebrity friends, including Cliff, Gloria, Paul O'Grady, Christopher Biggins, Dale etc. So she can't be all bad surely?

From what I can gather the Liverpool acent is very much an act of her show biz persona. She is quite unpleasant to anyone who is outside her showbiz circle. Which would explain why the likes of Biggins et al are her mates.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I heard that Reese Witherspoon is a bitch and is hard to work with. She does seem very fake in interviews (exaggerated facial expressions).

Reese looks absolutely cute as hell/gorgeous in this image. Yes, it may very well be down to the angle/the way she's done up, but bloody hell — whao!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/reese_witherspoon_just_like_heaven.jpg
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cilla is not very well liked in Liverpool from what I've heard.
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, before I sign off I want to mention William Shatner as being nice - met him in July and was almost dreading it as he has one of the worst repuations ever, but he was charming and lovely and seemed to make an effort with anyone going upto him. Maybe he's mellowing out with age? Can't believe he's almost 80 and still doing conventions. That in itself is impressive.

You were lucky. When I saw him in 2003, he was obnoxious, rude to and dismissive of everyone and everything. It was blatantly obvious why none of the original Star Trek cast members liked him. Nichelle Nichols still can't stand the sight of him after all these years.
  • lectorlector Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew Kelly - Couldn't have been nicer,took ages talking to us and invited us into the theatre bar for a drink.
    Philip Schofield - a total gent, had all the time in the world for us, especially the kids.
    Davis Dickinson - Nice bloke, met him when we were contestants on bargain hunt. Wife was lovely too.
    Jean Jaques Burnel - Very nice despite the Stranglers image - signed an autograph with his prison number (he had been arrested in France the night before)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Paul Merton - just lovely - as funny in real life as he is on HIGNFY. Even bought me a drink.
    Alex Kingston very LA but a lovely lady really nice.
    Deirdre O'Kane Irish comic seems nice on stage but very cold in person.
    Dara O'Briain, what a top bloke, so much time for all his fans, more than happy to take photos and sign autographs, all round decent bloke.
    Sorry I don't have any nasty stories!
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

They probably all have a complete bitch about people all the time, no wonder they get on. Kindred spirits.
    zx50 wrote: »
    Reese looks absolutely cute as hell/gorgeous in this image. Yes, it may very well be down to the angle/the way she's done up, but bloody hell — whao!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/reese_witherspoon_just_like_heaven.jpg

doesnt mean she's not a complete bitch.
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kbabble wrote: »
    I have a friend who put his name down at a golf club he was visiting where they woul pull names out a hat and you played a game of golf with someone else who had put themselves forward. His opponent turned out to be alice cooper who was apparently friendly, charming and great fun (and an excellent golfer) and even bought him a drink after the game

I've also heard good things about him. My friends are big fans and bumped into him in a shop before one of his gigs that they were going to. Apparently he was really down to earth and friendly (I think my friend's hubby said they chatted about golf then too as friend's hubby loves golf as well!) He sounds like a really nice bloke.
  • RomusRomus Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes sense if you consider Cill and many of her showbiz cronies as narcissists - they cling to each other as "slebs" and most other people (depending upon their mood) are pondlife, and treated as such.

Cill thinks her crowd of friends are on the same level as her -so are treated as "equals".