Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's one thing I remember about Ronan Keating's charity set up in his mother's name,it was switching in breakfast telly and seeing a bedraggled, hobbling Ronan up one hillside or another,day in, day out, talking to camera about the purpose and money raised. He and his family did something that took planning and a huge amount of effort to inspire people to donate money and raise awareness. I just found the into to his walk on Youtube to give you an idea of what was involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbXKmQOjNA

So far, PA has given out completely wrong information about cancer to a journalist, hurried though a celebrity ball using the CR logo (with yet more wrong stats on it's flyer) that has has since been postponed indefinitely, named a 'foundation' after himself, stuck it on a page of his own fan website (it's not a foundation at all as other have pointed out) which has spelling mistakes and a promise that it will "fully fund" London's mobile unit this year and years to come. I'm not an accountant, after a campaigning on Twitter, ITV, gossip magazines etc,it's raised £1,700 and donations have slowed to one a day. I don't see how that is meant to 'fully fund' anything.

If Peter is telling the truth and Claire dissuaded him from taking time I off so they could 'raise awareness of cancer' - then setting up a webpage with a Justgiving Cancer research link and a link on how to spot cancer link is six hours work, not six months.

I can't feel the devotion to the cause here.

A very good reason why 'celebs' should not even attempt such things.....I have also heard KP say some very alarming and incorrect things regarding Harvey......I'm not having a go (for once) I don't believe either say things to mislead or be harmful but it is often open to more harm than good when celebs try and go into medical specifics IMO.

PA has made that pledge, and I would hope he keeps his word and collaborates and works in various ways to make it happen......will need to wait and see on that one.....rest assured I will be the first one to criticise if he ducks out of a charity obligation and p*sses off to Argentina for a month's jollies with the latest floozy. :p
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's one thing I remember about Ronan Keating's charity set up in his mother's name,it was switching in breakfast telly and seeing a bedraggled, hobbling Ronan up one hillside or another,day in, day out, talking to camera about the purpose and money raised. He and his family did something that took planning and a huge amount of effort to inspire people to donate money and raise awareness. I just found the intro to his walk on Youtube to give you an idea of what was involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbXKmQOjNA

So far, PA has given out completely wrong information about cancer to a journalist, hurried though a celebrity ball using the CR logo (with yet more wrong stats on it's flyer) that has has since been postponed indefinitely, named a 'foundation' after himself, stuck it on a page of his own fan website (it's not a foundation at all as other have pointed out) which has spelling mistakes and a promise that it will "fully fund" London's mobile unit this year and years to come. I'm not an accountant, after a campaigning on Twitter, ITV, gossip magazines etc,it's raised £1,700 and donations have slowed to one a day. I don't see how that is meant to 'fully fund' anything.

If Peter is telling the truth and Claire dissuaded him from taking time I off so they could 'raise awareness of cancer' - then setting up a webpage with a Justgiving Cancer research link and a link on how to spot cancer link is six hours work, not six months.

I can't feel the devotion to the cause here. My friend raised almost 2k for the Royal Marsden last month by doing a 14 mile walk. I have to "raise" the money and awareness, you see - then take the credit for making a difference.:rolleyes:

Daisy, I just want to thank you for this post - it's helped to reassure me that I'm not completely losing my sanity and that my moral compass isn't entirely skewed.
    I do sometimes question whether the emotiveness of the subject at hand, coupled with my in-built loathing of the Andre make me more than usually antagonistic towards anything he does.
    I know that it's pointless even bothering to get annoyed about the foundation. IF the partnership is with CR I'm absolutely certain they are more than capable of organising events without the Andre's "help".

If the pledge to fully fund the mobile unit is taken at face value, what's the betting PA will be writing them a cheque at the end of the year to make up for any shortfall. (I am NOT for a second saying there would be anything wrong with that per se, but it wouldn't be what he pledged in the first place).
  • s.castles.castle Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I know what I was aware of on his show and it wasn't cancer.

Really?

Actually, from what I remember, he didn't actually mention the cancer much... He did, however, go on about the suffering of both himself and his family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ First, I don't believe a word of that. If it were true, then why was there nothing of substance to back up this 'awareness' on his show, the one place he actually has a regular platform and an audience?

I know what I was aware of on his show and it wasn't cancer.

Does anyone know the time line of the current series with the time line of the collaboration with CR, as in has the collaboration already occurred at the time of the episode/s aired?

I understand he was on the Jonathon Ross show, did he discuss the collaboration then?

Edit, not specific to you Lexi...anyone that watched/watches, would seem odd not to use both to raise awareness as said, just wondered if it had actually happened at time of shooting thus far in the series.
  • s.castles.castle Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Daisy, I just want to thank you for this post - it's helped to reassure me that I'm not completely losing my sanity and that my moral compass isn't entirely skewed.
    I do sometimes question whether the emotiveness of the subject at hand, coupled with my in-built loathing of the Andre make me more than usually antagonistic towards anything he does.
    I know that it's pointless even bothering to get annoyed about the foundation. IF the partnership is with CR I'm absolutely certain they are more than capable of organising events without the Andre's "help".

If the pledge to fully fund the mobile unit is taken at face value, what's the betting PA will be writing them a cheque at the end of the year to make up for any shortfall. (I am NOT for a second saying there would be anything wrong with that per se, but it wouldn't be what he pledged in the first place).

Agreed. While I feel that PA is being a little sick by seemingly cashing in on both his children and his brother's illness, I am not actually against this if it generates more money for Cancer Research, or if it increases awareness of cancer.

However, I get the rather uncomfortable feeling that Peter is doing this so that he can appear good in the media. Maybe I am being cynical. I hope I am..
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the time line of the current series with the time line of the collaboration with CR, as in has the collaboration already occurred at the time of the episode/s aired?

I understand he was on the Jonathon Ross show, did he discuss the collaboration then?

Edit, not specific to you Lexi...anyone that watched/watches, would seem odd not to use both to raise awareness as said, just wondered if it had actually happened at time of shooting thus far in the series.

From checking the episode summaries the collaboration starts in episode 5 so that would be this week's show.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep5week18/peter-andre-my-life

And yes he did talk about the Foundation project on JR.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I only saw a short clip, fifi, so not sure how much detail he went into. But, I do think he had involvement with CR prior to this appeal as wasn't that charity ball in aid of CR being advertised last year sometime?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    From checking the episode summaries the collaboration starts in episode 5 so that would be this week's show.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep5week18/peter-andre-my-life

And yes he did talk about the Foundation project on JR.

Thanks Sam :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw a short clip, fifi, so not sure how much detail he went into. But, I do think he had involvement with CR prior to this appeal as wasn't that charity ball in aid of CR being advertised last year sometime?

Thanks Lexi....didn't know about charity ball, other than what I have read on here...is it possible that was his own venture raising money for CR and perhaps not linked directly to this collaboration?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Lexi....didn't know about charity ball, other than what I have read on here...is it possible that was his own venture raising money for CR and perhaps not linked directly to this collaboration?

Well, I mentioned it more to confirm that he had already had contact with CR with a view to raising funds - ie. the relationship was already there - but nothing to do with the current collaboration. The ball was planned when Andrew was still alive and very possibly was shelved, after he died, in favour of doing something directly connected to a current CR appeal. That's my guess. And may still happpen as part of his fundraising efforts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sam :)

Pleasure fifi :) Cancer Research used to be listed on his website as one of the charities he was involved in fundraising for so I guess he has done some work with them previously and the collaboration is taking it a step further.

Found this link http://www.peterandrecrystalball.co.uk/ which says that the Crystal Ball is still going ahead but has been delayed until later in the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I mentioned it more to confirm that he had already had contact with CR with a view to raising funds - ie. the relationship was already there - but nothing to do with the current collaboration. The ball was planned when Andrew was still alive and very possibly was shelved, after he died, in favour of doing something directly connected to a current CR appeal. That's my guess. And may still happpen as part of his fundraising efforts.

Yes, that's possibly it.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    If there's one thing I remember about Ronan Keating's charity set up in his mother's name,it was switching in breakfast telly and seeing a bedraggled, hobbling Ronan up one hillside or another,day in, day out, talking to camera about the purpose and money raised. He and his family did something that took planning and a huge amount of effort to inspire people to donate money and raise awareness. I just found the intro to his walk on Youtube to give you an idea of what was involved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbXKmQOjNA

I can't feel the devotion to the cause here. My friend raised almost 2k for the Royal Marsden last month by doing a 14 mile walk. I have to "raise" the money and awareness, you see - then take the credit for making a difference.:rolleyes:

I nearly stood up & applauded this, I completely agree with everything you say.
    As I said previously my gut is telling me PA fully intended to give it his all in helping raise money/awareness for Cancer Research but I just get the feeling he's like a big kid who gets easily distracted & seems incapable of sticking to anything. The whole thing just seems so wishy washy with no real commitment there.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well Az, I have that conversation in my head too. Am I just hardwired into criticising everything PA does because of his bottomless 'pity me/aren't I great?' propaganda that's been going on for years to give him an image the Persil-buying housewives love? Why don't I put aside all that because every little helps in the fight against cancer, especially as I lost my mum, nan, both uncles and first boyfriend to it?

But it just seems to me PA is falling over himself to set up rather grand-sounding 'Foundations' which is just a link website, setting up celebrity "Crystal Ball" under the banner of CR without really committing to it. And perhaps and now possibly making grand promises about fulling funding a mobile unit. It makes it sound like London never had one when it does. Best to just cut though the faff and go straight to the CR Roadshow website:
    http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/healthinyourcommunity/cancerawarenessroadshow/whatisthecancerawarenessroadshow/whatisthecancerawarenessroadshow

I'd like to think it's just poor management. But the 'all grand gestures and little action' sadly just make me feel like it's one big exercise in presenting St Peter to us yet again with very little substance, fundraising or even goodwill behind it. He's not really doing anything out of the ordinary to raise money, but expects us to cough up anyway while he basks in saintly glory.

And that makes me feel a bit sad.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Az, I have that conversation in my head too. Am I just hardwired into criticising everything PA does because of his bottomless 'pity me/aren't I great?' propaganda that's been going on for years to give him an image the Persil-buying housewives love? Why don't I put aside all that because every little helps in the fight against cancer, especially as I lost my mum, nan, both uncles and first boyfriend to it?

But it just seems to me PA is falling over himself to set up rather grand-sounding 'Foundations' which is just a link website, setting up celebrity "Crystal Ball" under the banner of CR without really committing to it. And perhaps and now possibly making grand promises about fulling funding a mobile unit. It makes it sound like London never had one when it does. Best to just cut though the faff and go straight to the CR Roadshow website:
    http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/healthinyourcommunity/cancerawarenessroadshow/whatisthecancerawarenessroadshow/whatisthecancerawarenessroadshow

I'd like to think it's just poor management. But the 'all grand gestures and little action' sadly just make me feel like it's one big exercise in presenting St Peter to us yet again with very little substance, fundraising or even goodwill behind it. He's not really doing anything out of the ordinary to raise money, but expects us to cough up anyway while he basks in saintly glory.

It says on the link

Our Cancer Awareness Roadshow was founded in 2006 in partnership with Ronan Keating and the Marie Keating Foundation. Since launching in 2006, we have seen more than 300,000 visitors in over 200 towns and cities across the UK.

So there was already a Foundation involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd like to think it's just poor management. But the 'all grand gestures and little action' sadly just make me feel like it's one big exercise in presenting St Peter to us yet again with very little substance, fundraising or even goodwill behind it. He's not really doing anything out of the ordinary to raise money, but expects us to cough up anyway.

Daisy, I agree with everything you've said above and in the earlier post, it's so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt after watching the way he behaves on his show. And you're right, it IS unprofessional, it IS poorly thought through, it DOES look like typical DOTY malarkey, all surface and no substance, with all the energy going into him talking about it and not actually doing anything concrete... but, the only thing I would say here is that he has just launched this appeal and may have an actual plan, something that will put meat on the bones of this foundation's remit. I hope he has, for his sake, and that of CR's initiative.

When launcing the appeal, he should have announced at least one major thing he's going to be doing to fundraise - eg. a run, an event, a one-off raffle, etc etc, just to show that he has a plan and it's not all hot air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly stood up & applauded this, I completely agree with everything you say.
    As I said previously my gut is telling me PA fully intended to give it his all in helping raise money/awareness for Cancer Research but I just get the feeling he's like a big kid who gets easily distracted & seems incapable of sticking to anything. The whole thing just seems so wishy washy with no real commitment there.

Well he's persevered with his music career for 22 years and lasted 6 years with Katie, personally I think that demonstrates a certain amount of determination and staying power.

I don't know why some people are assuming that the Just Giving page represents 'job done' and he's going to sit back and watch the donations dribble in and then just sign a cheque for the outstanding amount. Charities generally organise a wide range of fundraising activities. The Crystal Ball is due to be held later in the year (date tbc), he might release a charity single and/or organise a concert. His coffee shops sell babycinnos in aid of NSPCC (or used to) perhaps he'll do something similar for CR. No idea if any of that's in the pipeline (apart from the Ball) but he does have contacts and opportunities open to him so I don't think it's time to write off the whole endeavour just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When launcing the appeal, he should have announced at least one major thing he's going to be doing to fundraise - eg. a run, an event, a one-off raffle, etc etc, just to show that he has a plan and it's not all hot air.

From what I've read Lexi the original plan was to launch the Foundation at the Crystal Ball in April but that was then postponed because Pete didn't feel he had the time or energy to do it justice in the aftermath of Andrew's death which I find understandable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does no such thing. That's disingenuous and wrong. It states clearly that the facilities already exist and that he has pledged to fund one of them.
    Forum Member
    Well he's persevered with his music career for 22 years and lasted 6 years with Katie, personally I think that demonstrates a certain amount of determination and staying power.

I don't know why some people are assuming that the Just Giving page represents 'job done' and he's going to sit back and watch the donations dribble in and then just sign a cheque for the outstanding amount. Charities generally organise a wide range of fundraising activities. The Crystal Ball is due to be held later in the year (date tbc), he might release a charity single and/or organise a concert. His coffee shops sell babycinnos in aid of NSPCC (or used to) perhaps he'll do something similar for CR. No idea if any of that's in the pipeline (apart from the Ball) but he does have contacts and opportunities open to him so I don't think it's time to write off the whole endeavour just yet.

Fair point regarding his music, nobody could deny his determination.
    I truly don't wish him to fail in helping CR but unfortunately I don't have much hope unless he employs a team of people to take on all the work it's going to involve.
    Personally speaking I really don't think he's thought it all through but I do hope I'm proved wrong, only time will tell.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does no such thing. That's disingenuous and wrong. It states clearly that the facilities already exist and that he has pledged to fund one of them.

I know that now but only by looking on the website. I though the way he was talking on TM that this is a new thing. - the way he said the units were 'ready to go' meaning just assembled.

I have looked at Roadshow partners and it says
    We are delighted to be working alongside the Peter Andre Foundation this year and would like to say a huge thank you for their support of the Roadshow. The Foundation will be supporting our London Roadshow unit and helping us to talk to hundreds of Londoners every week about cancer
    Supporting it - and fully funding are no the same thing. I supported the Royal Marsden with £30 but I'm not 'fully funding 'it. Why can't they just be honest?
  • woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just took a quick look at http://www.peterandre.com/foundation/

I am amazed that he says that his charity is going to be taking over the funding of these mobile units:eek: I had the privilege of attending last year's Emerald & Ivy Ball in London. The evening was hosted and organised by Ronan Keating as it has been since the start (2006) and that night a total of almost £1 million pound was raised for the mobile units to keep them on the road for another year. I think its a little underhanded of Peter Andre to "highjack" the roadshow and make out that his little justgiving's page is going to be funding all the units. By all means raise money to donate to them, but to make out he is taking them over is unbelieveable:confused: It sounds like he is trying to take credit for something Ronan has been doing for years! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've read Lexi the original plan was to launch the Foundation at the Crystal Ball in April but that was then postponed because Pete didn't feel he had the time or energy to do it justice in the aftermath of Andrew's death which I find understandable.

Yes, that's fine and fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that he could have announced at least one thing he's planning on doing as part of the launch! It's just common sense, to immediately engage with your potential donor, to generate interest, to show up front that you're hands-on and not just expecting people to donate because you're asking them. (I'm not saying he's doing that, I'm just saying what it could look like...)

I understand you like him, Sensei, but surely you must be able to see why it is that people are so sceptical of him?
    Forum Member
    What I wonder is, PA has promised the Foundation will fund the London mobile unit this year & years to come.
    However if not enough funds are raised to fulfill this promise, does he have a Plan B?
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I wonder is, PA has promised the Foundation will fund the London mobile unit this year & years to come.
    However if not enough funds are raised to fulfill this promise, does he have a Plan B?

From the sound of it, it doesn't appear that he's entirely thought through Plan A.
    I'm probably a deeply cynical and suspicious person, but I still have visions of PA sweeping in with a cheque "from himself" to save the day at the eleventh hour - tons of positive publicity for him without him actually having to put in too much effort.
This discussion has been closed.