European Figure Skating Championships 2014

serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a reminder for those that are interested that the European Championships starts on Wednesday next week (early this year due to the Olympics). There's no coverage on the BBC, not even highlights >:( but most of the dance and some of the men & ladies will be on Eurosport.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule.shtml

If you want to watch it all, your best option is to find streams for Russia 2 and Спорт either here:
http://www.olwebtv.com/sport-1-russia
kaban.tv/rossiya-2-online or through a subscription on tvteka.com (which offers a 3 day free trial, sign up 1 day in advance, you can also go back and watch archive broadcast if you aren't in when the event is on. I use google translate to navigate the site as it's in Russian)

Entry lists and results will go up here early next week. http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2014/

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame there is no coverage of the Pairs on Eurosport plus it does seem to be strangely scheduled with the Free Skate on Sunday Morning.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I am very disappointed with Eurosport, they seem to be able to show everything but the ice-skating these days.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting for my free trial to start from last year's Europeans for TV Teka!
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my free trial to start from last year's Europeans for TV Teka!

They should have sent you an activation email?

Forgot to say in my first post - there's actually a pretty good chance of a medal in ice dance for GB - Pechalat/Bourzat and Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn, so I'd expect Ilinykh/Katsalapov & Cappellini/Lanotte to be fighting for gold and silver, but Coomes/Buckland have a shot at the bronze alongside the other Russian teams and maybe the Germans.

It's also the European debut of new British pair Amani Fancy & Christopher Boyadji - they beat Kemp/King to be crowned National champions in November.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all this info :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    As well as two British Pairs, there will also be two Dance couples representing Britain as Carter Jones and Richard Sharp are going as well as Coomes and Buckland .
    Hope Coomes and Buckland do really well as he is skating after undergoing cardiac surgery a few months ago !
    I'm going to Budapest on Tuesday to watch the Championships, got my flags ready :):cool:
    Forum Member
    RooCat wrote: »
    As well as two British Pairs, there will also be two Dance couples representing Britain as Carter Jones and Richard Sharp are going as well as Coomes and Buckland .
    Hope Coomes and Buckland do really well as he is skating after undergoing cardiac surgery a few months ago !
    I'm going to Budapest on Tuesday to watch the Championships, got my flags ready :):cool:

Have a great time:)
  • matrix2021matrix2021 Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Hi all, so nice to see a Figure Skating thread.

I was just going through the Eurosport schedule on Sky looking to record my favourite disciplines (I usually just watch mens/womens short and long programmes) but like yellowlabbie has said, Eurosport has pretty much shunned live broadcasting as of late.

I remember the days when there was just a singular Eurosport channel and even then we used to see full short and long programmes of all disciplines no matter what the competition. I've noticed - unless I'm being blind - that they aren't even showing highlights of the mens and womens short programmes(?) possibly due to the clash with the Australian Open, so thanks to serafimo for those links, I hope they work :)
    Forum Member
    matrix2021 wrote: »
    Hi all, so nice to see a Figure Skating thread.

I was just going through the Eurosport schedule on Sky looking to record my favourite disciplines (I usually just watch mens/womens short and long programmes) but like yellowlabbie has said, Eurosport has pretty much shunned live broadcasting as of late.

I remember the days when there was just a singular Eurosport channel and even then we used to see full short and long programmes of all disciplines no matter what the competition. I've noticed - unless I'm being blind - that they aren't even showing highlights of the mens and womens short programmes(?) possibly due to the clash with the Australian Open, so thanks to serafimo for those links, I hope they work :)

The tennis always takes preference:( I hate tennis>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RooCat wrote: »

Have a great time. Spent a couple of days in Sheffield 2 years ago and had a fantastic time. Budapest is a lovely city as well, hopefully you'll be able to do a little sightseeing in between watching the action.
  • CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This link is working for me today: http://livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/18/ Ladies short on at the moment.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This link is working for me today: http://livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/18/ Ladies short on at the moment.

Thanks for the link CH, will use it next time. I caught up with most of the top performances on YouTube.

Adelina Sotnikova is new to me but wow! So exciting to watch, and she moves with such speed across the ice. Her final spin was incredible. It's also the first time I've seen Julia Lipnitskaya; another exciting prospect. I think her performance will improve as she matures.

For me, Carolina Kostner is the most graceful skater since Maria Butyrskaya. Her short programme was utterly enchanting.

Can't wait for the Ladies free now.
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Thanks for the link CH, will use it next time. I caught up with most of the top performances on YouTube.

Adelina Sotnikova is new to me but wow! So exciting to watch, and she moves with such speed across the ice. Her final spin was incredible. It's also the first time I've seen Julia Lipnitskaya; another exciting prospect. I think her performance will improve as she matures.

For me, Carolina Kostner is the most graceful skater since Maria Butyrskaya. Her short programme was utterly enchanting.

Can't wait for the Ladies free now.

The Russians have so many fantastic young ladies and I mean young, 14 years of age in a couple of cases.

The ladies event is really something at the moment with some really excellent skaters.

Caroline is just divine isn't she but will she be able to hold it together in the free?
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russians have so many fantastic young ladies and I mean young, 14 years of age in a couple of cases.

The ladies event is really something at the moment with some really excellent skaters.

Caroline is just divine isn't she but will she be able to hold it together in the free?

That is the question yellow! My heart is always in my mouth when Carolina skates. I never feel entirely confident, never know what to expect.

What shape are the other events in at the moment? I'm so out the loop. Couldn't name a single Pairs or Ice Dancing couple.
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    That is the question yellow! My heart is always in my mouth when Carolina skates. I never feel entirely confident, never know what to expect.

What shape are the other events in at the moment? I'm so out the loop. Couldn't name a single Pairs or Ice Dancing couple.

To be fair a lot of the top names are out of the Euros this year because it is the Winter Olympics in February and they will be appearing there.

I watched all the Grand Prix events this year on Eurosport just before Xmas and it was great so I am really in the loop and looking forward to the Olympics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to the Free Dance tonight - hope Penny & Nick hang on for bronze although it's tight between them & the couples below them.

Should be a great battle for Gold too - I hope the Russians snatch it.
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Free Dance tonight - hope Penny & Nick hang on for bronze although it's tight between them & the couples below them.

Should be a great battle for Gold too - I hope the Russians snatch it.

I do hope Penny and Nick hang on for the bronze, I loved their short dance and they really surprised me.

I hope the Russians snatch it too, I think they will.:)

I also hope Eurosport start on time tonight, unlike last night when they missed Penny and Nick>:(, luckily I caught them on one of those links.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope Penny and Nick hang on for the bronze, I loved their short dance and they really surprised me.

I hope the Russians snatch it too, I think they will.:)

I also hope Eurosport start on time tonight, unlike last night when they missed Penny and Nick>:(, luckily I caught them on one of those links.

I know - and it wasn't like there was live sport that overran, they were just showing filler nonsense
    Forum Member
    I know - and it wasn't like there was live sport that overran, they were just showing filler nonsense

I know and they've now put it back to 19.15, I just give up.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stuff from Penny & Nick - this week is the best I have seen them skate. They really deserved their medal.

Gutted for Elena & Nikita though.

Nice of Eurosport to stay for the medal ceremony as well. But have to say personally not a fan of the tiny little medals though I doubt the skaters care.
    Forum Member
    Great stuff from Penny & Nick - this week is the best I have seen them skate. They really deserved their medal.

Gutted for Elena & Nikita though.

Nice of Eurosport to stay for the medal ceremony as well. But have to say personally not a fan of the tiny little medals though I doubt the skaters care.

Me and my big mouth, poor Elena and Nikita:cry: but I was so overjoyed for Penny and Nick, they skated excellently and I was quite touched the way Evgeny lifted Penny up and hugged her, I was a little weepy:blush:

I am looking forward to the ladies now, roll on tomorrowe night.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not on Twitter but I wonder if Phil (as the show's most obvious conduit to the viewers!) has or will be asked whether our medallists can get a quick mention on DOI on Sunday?
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I am not on Twitter but I wonder if Phil (as the show's most obvious conduit to the viewers!) has or will be asked whether our medallists can get a quick mention on DOI on Sunday?

That would be great:) I don't do twitter either.
    Forum Member
    Well what about little Julia, what a brilliant performance, I was mesmerised, 14 years old and she is already a skating superstar.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well what about little Julia, what a brilliant performance, I was mesmerised, 14 years old and she is already a skating superstar.

She was amazing. Very moving performance. She represented the girl in the red dress from Schindlers List and pulled it off.