What happened to Madonna? Was she ill performing here?

WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwlNbLdP7fo

I thought this was absolutely awful! What has happened? D:

Comments

• Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    What do you think.

Could you not have used the Grammy thread to put your daft theory forward?
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwlNbLdP7fo

I thought this was absolutely awful! What has happened? D:

She hurt her leg when she fell while dancing in high heels with her new toyboy.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Madonna's music and always will, but even I have to admit I'm aghast at how over the line she's gone face-wise. The last time I saw her 'live' was the Graham Norton show she did before the release of MDNA, and although it was obvious then she'd had facial work done, she still looked quite naturalistic and graceful. Now (not just in the Grammy photos, but over the last at least year or so) she just looks like a balloon with a face drawn on, or her own blow-up doll :(

And, given all that she's said about superficiality over the years, it's quite saddening to think what turmoil must be in her own mind psychologically about her ageing process :cry:
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was truly awful. I know it is seen as cool to hate on Madonna, but love or loather her she usually always brings it. But from the Joan rivers surgery, weird stance, she seemed old, to that awful vocal performance. What was going on with her last night, possibly one of her worst performances ever, an utter shambles.
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last part she sounds literally perfect singing with Mary Lambert. Open Your Heart hasn't sounded decent live in 24 years. It's just NOT a good song for her, and to make matters worse, it's been slowed down to the speed of Same Love which makes it even more droning.

Listen to her sing Like a Prayer on the Hope For Haiti concert, she sounds perfect.
    Forum Member
    I think she sounded great and OYH is one of her best songs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Your Heart is one of the greatest songs ever and i get the feels when i watch this merged with Same Love...just so beautiful...the way she emerged...she looked beautiful and striking.

And she sounded fantastic...would have loved more from her but alas...great cause and something she has stood for for an entire lifetime.

Wish people would stop picking holes in how she dreses or sounds or looks and poke ageist remarks at her...she hurt her leg, she doesnt care and she looked and sounded fantastic...and as i say wish there was more of ehr but alas...she did it out of the goodness of her heart and what the message conveyed and the power of the performance...it was a monumental moment and a pure joy to see...so proud to call her my favourite artist.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry Josh, but if that sounded fantastic to you, I'd hate to hear what you think is bad. Are we listening to the same thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she sounded great and OYH is one of her best songs!
    Get a hearing test....
    Open Your Heart is one of the greatest songs ever and i get the feels when i watch this merged with Same Love...just so beautiful...the way she emerged...she looked beautiful and striking.

And she sounded fantastic...would have loved more from her but alas...great cause and something she has stood for for an entire lifetime.

Wish people would stop picking holes in how she dreses or sounds or looks and poke ageist remarks at her...she hurt her leg, she doesnt care and she looked and sounded fantastic...and as i say wish there was more of ehr but alas...she did it out of the goodness of her heart and what the message conveyed and the power of the performance...it was a monumental moment and a pure joy to see...so proud to call her my favourite artist.

Seriously, get a hearing aid or get a grip....
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she first walked on stage I wasn't actually sure whether the stick she was holding was a prop or a walking stick...and it looked like she needed a walking stick!! She looked absolutely awful and sounded terrible too.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was holding a stick because she'd injured her foot... Not here for the ageist comments, why is it ok for men to carry on when they get old, but not women?
    Forum Member
    Get a hearing test....

Seriously, get a hearing aid or get a grip....

My ears work just fine thankyou, I thought she was in good voice, you didn't, it's just a difference in opinion.

Oh, and i've been told I have a nice firm grip too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ears work just fine thankyou, I thought she was in good voice, you didn't, it's just a difference in opinion.

Oh, and i've been told I have a nice firm grip too!

I'm not criticising you opinion at all. But honestly that performance how anyone can defend it is beyond me, when Katy Perry who I am a huge fan of outsings you you know it's bad.

And no one is being ageist in the way she looks it's the surgery that's shocking not her age.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Dreadful, dreadful performance. What on earth has happened to the woman?
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm sorry Josh, but if that sounded fantastic to you, I'd hate to hear what you think is bad. Are we listening to the same thing?

Explain to me what was wrong with her voice? She sounds the same as the record. I saw some media reviews of it and they all said she was in great voice. Maybe you just don't like her voice but that's how she sounds.
    And she had a cane because she had a bone bruise on her foot. She could have cancelled and not showed up at all but she chose to because she felt the cause of gay marriage was so important.

Here's a great article about the performance by the US journalist Liz Smith.
    http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1910488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Explain to me what was wrong with her voice? She sounds the same as the record. I saw some media reviews of it and they all said she was in great voice. Maybe you just don't like her voice but that's how she sounds.
    And she had a cane because she had a bone bruise on her foot. She could have cancelled and not showed up at all but she chose to because she felt the cause of gay marriage was so important.

Here's a great article about the performance by the US journalist Liz Smith.
    http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1910488

I appreciate everyone has differing opinions, But seriously she was bad accept it, she was out of tune, weak, and overall just down right shoddy. As for sounding as she did on the CD in what realms of your imagination I do not know.

Sometimes it's okay to criticise an artist you love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone has differing opinions, But seriously she was bad accept it, she was out of tune, weak, and overall just down right shoddy. As for sounding as she did on the CD in what realms of your imagination I do not know.

Sometimes it's okay to criticise an artist you love.

I'm not against criticizing an artist when they're bad. But some people just criticize for the sake of criticizing. There was nothing wrong with her vocal performance, it was not out of tune, bad or shoddy or any of those things. She sounds like Madonna. Maybe you should admit you just don't like her anymore. The song was changed to fit it with the speed of Same Love, but the quality of her vocal is just like the original recording. I think maybe you should listen to the record again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, her vocal sounded nothing like the single Open Your Heart, but I'm not really saying that's a bad thing, it's a song that's nearly 30 years old ffs. She sounds like Madonna has sounded live for years, perfectly fine but not spectacular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I'm not against criticizing an artist when they're bad. But some people just criticize for the sake of criticizing. There was nothing wrong with her vocal performance, it was not out of tune, bad or shoddy or any of those things. She sounds like Madonna. Maybe you should admit you just don't like her anymore. The song was changed to fit it with the speed of Same Love, but the quality of her vocal is just like the original recording. I think maybe you should listen to the record again.

I like and respect Madonna, but I will not give undue congratulations even to those I love. It is blind fandom at play anyone with a set of years and eyes can see she sounded and performed badly. It was a weak performance sped up, sped down, use any and all excuses but it was a travesty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I like and respect Madonna, but I will not give undue congratulations even to those I love. It is blind fandom at play anyone with a set of years and eyes can see she sounded and performed badly. It was a weak performance sped up, sped down, use any and all excuses but it was a travesty.

You haven't explained to me specifically what was wrong with it, from a musical technical point of view. I'm not blind, but I think some people are just biased against her and will just criticize to criticize regardless of what she does. Being a reflexive critics is just as a being a blind fan. I am neither. Why is it that actual journalists and music critics didn't see this travesty that you supposedly heard, but all said she was in good voice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a LITTLE bit out of tune, and some of the notes don't flow very well, some of them being a little bit flat...

But as I've said before, it's not a song she's ever given fantastic vocal performances of... Who's That Girl Tour in Japan or Blonde Ambition in Japan are the only decent vocal performances of the song I can think of.

It's a song that's too high for her in the chorus and too low in the verses... whoever decided to arrange the song for her like that should be shot...
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RayofLight wrote: »
    It is a LITTLE bit out of tune, and some of the notes don't flow very well, some of them being a little bit flat...

But as I've said before, it's not a song she's ever given fantastic vocal performances of... Who's That Girl Tour in Japan or Blonde Ambition in Japan are the only decent vocal performances of the song I can think of.

It's a song that's too high for her and too low in the chorus... whoever decide to arrange the song for her like that should be shot...

I remember when she took fan requests during the Sticky and Sweet tour and someone asked for OYH and she got to the chorus and gave up saying it was too high for her. Saying that though I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some are making out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, every single time she murdered it... same with Dress You Up, and she never sang that well once on the Sticky and Sweet Tour either.

Then again, the Sticky and Sweet Tour is the only show she's ever been a truly awful singer acapella, the only song she sang well on that was Express Yourself as a fake rq nearly ever night.

Her vocals on MDNA were MUCH better.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RayofLight wrote: »
    Yep, every single time she murdered it... same with Dress You Up, and she never sang that well once on the Sticky and Sweet Tour either.

Then again, the Sticky and Sweet Tour is the only show she's ever been a truly awful singer acapella, the only song she sang well on that was Express Yourself as a fake rq nearly ever night.

Her vocals on MDNA were MUCH better.

I agree about S&S. I saw her at Wembley and it stuck in my head how badly she sang Human nature on that guitar and coupled with a sound system malfunction it wasn't pretty but she salvaged it with some other fantastic performances
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw her in Cardiff and Manchester... Cardiff was an awesome vocal, Manchester okay in places.

The only show she sang really well on for the S&S tour was Cardiff though, steep decline after.