Beth

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
Forum Member
I really feel like she doesn't get fair comments or comments which emphasise how good she really is. As far is skating goes, she's definitely only second to Ray and even when they praise her, I don't feel like it's enough compared to how much she deserves:(:(:(

It upsets me really, she's an amazing skater, I'm beginning to love her a lot. Her partnership with Lukasz is fabulous and i'm so glad he finally got an amazing partner.

She comes across very well too, quite shy and understated. Hope she wins! :) (sorry for going on)

Comments

• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Ray to win as he's the best all round skater and dancer. But Beth would be a worthy runner up, if they would play to her strengths :)
  • ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Beth and think she's a great contestant but I do feel that she needs to bring more of her personality into the dances. She does'nt dance like she's enjoying it sometimes. I like the partnership as well and think they could go far.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a good skater, and some of her routines do deliver on performance, more so than last year.

I think there are some routines where she feels self-conscious, last night was an example, and it's difficult to get past that unless you have that sort of background, which is where Hayley won out last night for me. I normally find her at bit OTT but I think last night's routine actually needed that.
  • summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has poor performance ability, as Jason said last night, her routine was well placed but I felt it lacked soul, passion and commitment, she seems disjointed from the performance, Hayley is way ahead of her ( NOT a Hayley fan) also Suzanne is way ahead of her, nice girl but sadly I think she needs to go soon.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,640
    Forum Member
    She is strong, athletic and agile, but she is not a natural dancer. Skating she can do, dancing on ice she can't - not with any flair anyway.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    She has better skating skills than Hayley, Sam and Gareth and possibly Suzanne! However she was stiff this week and have seen her done better when she did the Scottish dancing and Snowyish routines.
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beth had it tough this week given she was up against her ex skating partner, she is technically the best skater out of the girls left IMO..
    What she may sometimes lack in performance she makes up for in ability to actually skate.
    Would rather watch her than some of the fake stage school type performances from some of them.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has better skating skills than Hayley, Sam and Gareth and possibly Suzanne! However she was stiff this week and have seen her done better when she did the Scottish dancing and Snowyish routines.
    Goes to show the importance of choreography.
    The choreo was loaded in favour of Hayley - wonder what the result would have been if she had been required to perform Beth's strengths.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    The choreo was loaded in favour of Hayley - wonder what the result would have been if she had been required to perform Beth's strengths.

If you mean the choreography in the duel, I didn't think there was much difference in what the 2 girls had to do, but a huge difference in how they did it. Hayley used every part of her body to really perform the routine; Beth skated the steps but that was all.
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Beth could still win. She is very popular with the public and is the next best skater after Ray, who although is a brilliant skater may lose some votes due to his perceived arrogance.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggeral wrote: »
    I actually think Beth could still win. She is very popular with the public and is the next best skater after Ray, who although is a brilliant skater may lose some votes due to his perceived arrogance.

Sorry, to disagree. I know some DS posters perceive Ray as arrogant & Beth as really popular, but to be honest DS posters now are only a handful of people; outside DS I don't know anyone who doesn't love Ray's exuberance and wants him to win, and likewise, I don't know anyone who thinks Beth is probably a lovely enough woman, but is completely lacking in personality which makes her skating dull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Sorry, to disagree. I know some DS posters perceive Ray as arrogant & Beth as really popular, but to be honest DS posters now are only a handful of people; outside DS I don't know anyone who doesn't love Ray's exuberance and wants him to win, and likewise, I don't know anyone who thinks Beth is probably a lovely enough woman, but is completely lacking in personality which makes her skating dull.

I have to agree with you totally! Not many people post on the forum and of those that do a large percentage either support Ray or if not probably would admit he is the best performer and skater there! Most people in the wider world love Rays performances and think he should wiin from my experience.

I think Berh comes across as a lovely genuine person and technically skates well but I do think she has problems presenting a routine and injecting personality as she is not a trained performer.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »

Yes, I agree with this, as soon as Hayley started to do her part I couldn't believe it, her choreography was heaps better than Beths, it was all go, yet there were big holes in Beths. I'm sure Beth can do better than that. I do like both Beth and Hayley so I have no axe to grind.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    If you mean the choreography in the duel, I didn't think there was much difference in what the 2 girls had to do, but a huge difference in how they did it. Hayley used every part of her body to really perform the routine; Beth skated the steps but that was all.

That is the point about the choreography. They both got a dance number with a lot of acting required - thats pretty much designed for Hayley to do better - she's the actor and trained dancer. If they gave them tricks and lifts and solo skating Beth would do better, and might be best. A routine requiring less intense acting and dancing would favour Beth more too. Doing teh same thing is only fine if the exam paper isn't written to only allow one's skills to shine.

Similarly, other duel routines favoured one or the other too. if they gave either of Beth or Hayley Suzanne's duel routine, they would have struggled, and her solo routine would be too dangerous for them. Suzanne and Ray would both struggle with bits of the other half of their duel routine - and it would have been more equal if she had had one of her big moves in to match his signature leaps. Give Ray and Suzanne Hayley's routine, and they could both do it, and the differences wouldn't be as obvious - as it had less speed and less difficulty. .

Bonnie is in the same boat. Her duel oesn't let her show her top skills - they show when she composes a routine herself. Its duller and limited by what Gareth can do - which makes is outcome even more sure.

Kyran and Sam is a bit more equal. Both can do lifts and move pretty well - so the routine is going to have lots of movement and lifts. Sam is an actor, but his perfomance level isn't that much higher than Kyran's, so that isn't key. They allowed Kyran to put in some skating skills that proved decisive. But its not clear what high level skills they could have added to Sam's part of the duel to make the content more equal. Its perfectly clear what you would add to a Beth, Bonnie or Suzanne routine to make them more competitive.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Beth, but even I thought her individual skate this week was a bit dreary. She was let down by the choreography of the duel though. She could do so much more than was included.
  • Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth has a huge natural fanbase ie lots of little kids - primarily girls - who do gymnastics. If they are watching DOI and can persuade their parents to vote for Beth then she'll be very popular in the phone vote.

I want Beth to win, as I always tend to favour the sporty types, as I tend to think - erroneously perhaps - that their achievements are more "real" than the actor types.

That said, Ray is a class apart on the ice and seems like a nice guy, so I'm sure he'll do OK in the popularity stakes!
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Beth gets a hard time about her performance skills.

She has MASSIVELY improved since last year. Last year, all her routines came across so stiff and quite forgettable. This year, her first three performances have been performed to a much better standard.

"Roar", "Somewhere Only We Know" and "Hey Brother" were not only brilliantly skated but she also managed to perform them. She may not be at the level that Hayley, Ray and Suzanne are in terms of her performance, but she's improved a lot since last year.

I was a fan of Beth's last year and wanted her to win, but apart from her "Clown" performance, I can't remember anything else she did - they all merged into one. However, this year, all her performances can be identified one way or another. Whether that's down to the choreography given to her by Chris and Jayne, or maybe her partnership with Lukasz, or whether she actually has improved her performance... Whatever it is, she is so much better to watch this year and she deserves some credit for that. I do acknowledge that she went back to "old Beth" on Sunday, though. Her performance was dull and forgettable, but hopefully it was just a one off.

Beth and Kyran get a hard time over their performance skills, yet Hayley and Sam never get pulled up over their skating skills. Sure, they can skate, but it's so basic compared to the likes of Beth, Ray and Suzanne. The judges are hardly being fair, are they?
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give the girl a break , poor girl is terrified to smile after the abuse she's had over her looks . It's surprising that she has the confidence to go out there at all .
  • tangos_with_timtangos_with_tim Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amytigger wrote: »
    but I do think she has problems presenting a routine and injecting personality as she is not a trained performer.

It has been mentioned a lot that Beth doesn't have the performance background. However, like lots of other skills, some folks are naturally gifted performers, regardless of training. Beth clearly isn't a natural theatrical performer, but I agree she's come a long way since last year.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hayley uses other parts of her body in dance moves to distract from how little skating she does. She's poor at combining dance with actual skating, to the point where she sometimes has to stand still on the ice to do some of her arm dancing.

"Performance" that isn't combined with skating should have been marked down. That it wasn't, and that Hayley was therefore able to do so well in DOI, is one of the reasons I lost much of my interest in the show. I want to see dance combined with skating, not dance that just happens to be on ice.
    Reserved wrote: »

Beth and Kyran get a hard time over their performance skills, yet Hayley and Sam never get pulled up over their skating skills. Sure, they can skate, but it's so basic compared to the likes of Beth, Ray and Suzanne. The judges are hardly being fair, are they?

That's one of the big problems with the show, imo, and one the reasons I don't like having Jason on the panel.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree with this, as soon as Hayley started to do her part I couldn't believe it, her choreography was heaps better than Beths, it was all go, yet there were big holes in Beths. I'm sure Beth can do better than that. I do like both Beth and Hayley so I have no axe to grind.

I do think Hayley was ahead on performance compared to Beth. There was an amount of fairly static dance moves, but she did a decent skating sequence towards the end though made a small error (at about 3.43 on the DOI video of the duel). Beth did a lot of skating across the routine and there was less in the way of arm movements etc, but her performance level was down this week compared to previous weeks, an area where she has been better this year.

A hard one to call but I would have given Hayley the nod overall.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was impressed that our Olympic medal winner could do an handstand.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Beth had a few slip ups today but still enjoyed it. Hopefully she makes the final and finishes as top girl :)
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Beth & absolutely loving Lukasz - I know Matt & Dan have always been the most popular but for me Luke is putting them in the shade, so thrilled he got a chance to shine with a great partner in the final series.

Assuming the climax to the series will be Bolero again, I hope that Beth does get to the final 2. I feel we know what we'll get with the likes of Suzanne, Hayley & even Ray. But I'd like to see what Lukasz would come up with for Beth.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    I think Beth is the big improvement story. She's not going to match any of the other girls in some musical theatre routines, or Charlestons - because they have the acting and dance experience - but she has improved her acting ability immensely, and she's added to her moves and skating ability. Give her the right number, and she can now produce an emotional performance, or one that matches the theme - with significant wow factor.

Elsewhere the improvement isn't that obvious - or one way. Suzanne has actually added to her repertoire - with new exits, and taking on some other people's moves (Beths signature moves tonight) but she's getting no credit for it, its proving risky doing the extra difficulty, and she's not getting good routines, even when they can think of an improved move, or she could show off her skating. Hayley's added some speed, and one or two, rare, slightly bigger, lifts, but she can't compete on difficulty, or tricks, and she regressed this week, to series 5 early week, carrying, lifts. Kyran and Sam don't seem to be adding much, and Ray is doing a few signature moves, better, while avoiding lifts more - but he's getting good enough routines to look good and different enough without.