Options

Could Putin be funding UKIP?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
It is well known that Putin is supportive of far right groups in Europe, and Farage has been quite vocal in his praise for him.
It got me thinking - could UKIP be receiving support, financial or otherwise, from Putin, whether or not they were his own views?

Here's one of the articles I've read on the subject: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141067/mitchell-a-orenstein/putins-western-allies

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Why would Putin want to see Nigel Farage succeed. He much prefers weak, spineless and ineffective career politicians like Miliband, Obama and Cameron - he just laughs at them.

This must rank as one of the most stupid threads of 2014 so far.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point, are Putin and the Saudis funding the Greens? Anti-fracking protests play directly into the hands of oil-rich dictatorships.

The question is not completely paranoid - Putin definitely did manage corrupt the ex-German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder who, as the last act of his political reign, signed many important oil and gas agreements with Russia and then went off to work for Gazprom the very next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any list of UKIP donors?
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Why this constant need to refer to Putin, when what is meant is Russia? Reducing nation states to the level of one personality is simplistic. Do you really think Russia's policy would be any different under another leader?

I certainly didn't realise that Russia is supporting all these far right groups like the thugs in Ukraine.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blazmeen wrote: »
    It is well known that Putin is supportive of far right groups in Europe, and Farage has been quite vocal in his praise for him.
    It got me thinking - could UKIP be receiving support, financial or otherwise, from Putin, whether or not they were his own views?

Here's one of the articles I've read on the subject: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141067/mitchell-a-orenstein/putins-western-allies

Which begs the question are the Martians funding Ed Miliband?
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Why this constant need to refer to Putin, when what is meant is Russia? .

Putin is Russia.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Yeah, and Labour's funded by Castro; the Tories by the Bush family; the Lib Dems by a hippy commune.