Options

Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    johna999johna999 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    396 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes, 40 seconds to go

Don't get too confident.

It is likely to be a hung parliament. In those circumstances the existing PM is invited by the Queen to try and form a government. Labour could have more seats than the conservatives but the Tories could still form a government. .......
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    396 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes, 40 seconds to go

Wow. OCD or what?

Anyway, return to sender. Tell St. John's ambulance, not some obscure online forum. Don't worry, they'll be standing by and they'll take good care of you.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johna999 wrote: »
    Don't get too confident.

It is likely to be a hung parliament. In those circumstances the existing PM is invited by the Queen to try and form a government. Labour could have more seats than the conservatives but the Tories could still form a government. .......

There's no way that would be allowed to happen.

Even if Clegg tried it on, I very much doubt he'd get the backing of his party to join the smaller party.
  • Options
    johna999johna999 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even if Clegg tried it on, I very much doubt he'd get the backing of his party to join the smaller party.

If a hung parliament. Cameron gets first opportunity to form a government. He can form a minority government if he falls 20 to 80 seats short of a majority. Deals could be made with the NI parties to abstain from votes of no confidence. If Scotland vote yes the 60ish mps there will find it hard to stop a tory govt. Legislation will be passed to stop them voting on non Scottish laws.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

SO bookmarked.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite business as usual.

More a case of the Maria Miller syndrome.

Not only is it a bit soon for taht to be having much of an effect, I don't feel taht it in itself is much of an issue with the public, apart from reinforcing a view that the MPs still have their snouts firmly in the trough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johna999 wrote: »
    If a hung parliament. Cameron gets first opportunity to form a government. He can form a minority government if he falls 20 to 80 seats short of a majority. Deals could be made with the NI parties to abstain from votes of no confidence. If Scotland vote yes the 60ish mps there will find it hard to stop a tory govt. Legislation will be passed to stop them voting on non Scottish laws.

One can spout technicalities all day long, but if the Tories have less seats than Labour, the Tories will be out, it's as plain and simple as that.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what if the Tories win the popular vote, but fewer seats than labour, who should Clegg deal with?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The important figure to note is the 27% who are undecided.

Also that this is a simple in/out question rather than whether they would want to see a reformed EU.

It certainly flies against the Sun poll which showed 45% wanting to leave. Perhaps the BBC is saying that Clegg really won the debates and convinced people to be undecided rather than wanting to leave?

Mind you this:
    The online poll of 2,067 people uses a model developed by Populus, that divides respondents into six types, based on attitude and world view.
    Uses a new fangled methodology which may or may not produce similar results to genuinely random sampling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    But what if the Tories win the popular vote, but fewer seats than labour, who should Clegg deal with?

It's should always be seats as that's the system people voted under. If we didn't have FPTP the percentages would look very different.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    ComRes Euro Election Poll for The People

CON 22%(+1)
    LAB 30%(+2)
    LDEM 8%(nc)
    UKIP 30%(nc)
    Oth 10% (-3)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

CON 22%(+1)
    LAB 30%(+2)
    LDEM 8%(nc)
    UKIP 30%(nc)
    Oth 10% (-3)

Quite significant given the European elections are done on a PR system.

Are there other elections on the sameday?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I don't like the idea of UKIP getting 30%, the thought of the Tories coming third and the Lib Dems only getting 8% does please me :D Surely Cameron and Clegg would be running round like headless chickens after such a result.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    While I don't like the idea of UKIP getting 30%, the thought of the Tories coming third and the Lib Dems only getting 8% does please me :D Surely Cameron and Clegg would be running round like headless chickens after such a result.

be happier if clegg could get 4-5% that should cause a lovely meltdown at Libdem HQ
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Survation polls for the Mail taken after the 2nd Clegg/Farage debate

Westminster

Labour 36% (+1)
    Conservatives 29% (-5)
    UKIP 20% (+4)
    Lib Dem 10% (+1)

Euro-election

Labour 34% (+2)
    UKIP 27% (+4)
    Conservatives 21% (-4)
    Lib Dems 9% (+2)
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

CON 22%(+1)
    LAB 30%(+2)
    LDEM 8%(nc)
    UKIP 30%(nc)
    Oth 10% (-3)

Despite all the comment about how well Farage did in the debates, it hasn't actually increased his polling share. I'm not surprised because I don't think these debates alter peoples opinions which are founded over the long term.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite significant given the European elections are done on a PR system.

Are there other elections on the sameday?

Most of the other EU countries will be voting on the 25th

Netherlands will vote on the 22nd and the French vote is spread over a few days

If you meant other elections in Britain on the same day then are some local elections in England and Northern Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So two polls since Nick Cleggs disaster and Farage's Win have an increase for UKIP and LD in the polls. Seems it was a win/win after all for them both.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Westminster

Labour 36% (+1)
    Conservatives 29% (-5)
    UKIP 20% (+4)
    Lib Dem 10% (+1)

Euro-election

Labour 34% (+2)
    UKIP 27% (+4)
    Conservatives 21% (-4)
    Lib Dems 9% (+2)[/QUOTE
    ]

that I could see being near the Result I have no idea how that would work out via the system they use to work out seats. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Brown tried to form a coalition with the Lib Dems and stayed as PM for a few days after the GE, Jol.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    Verence wrote: »

Westminster

Labour 36% (+1)
    Conservatives 29% (-5)
    UKIP 20% (+4)
    Lib Dem 10% (+1)

Euro-election

Labour 34% (+2)
    UKIP 27% (+4)
    Conservatives 21% (-4)
    Lib Dems 9% (+2)[/QUOTE
    ]

that I could see being near the Result I have no idea how that would work out via the system they use to work out seats. :blush:
    -5 for the tories after Farage debate?Whats going on there?Interesting.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Some very dramatic polling tonight - as highlighted above.

Apparently there is a Scottish referendum poll out which shows yes now only 6% behind no.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/ScottishReferendum/article1396930.ece

There is also a Sunday Times you gov poll being released overnight on the EU elections. Of those saying they are certain to vote - and as we know its turnout that is key in that election - UKIP is on 34%, Labour 27% and the Tories only 20%. And that's before the boost UKIP are likely to get as they will be getting equal airtime for the Euros based on the 2009 results.

Maybe the people of Scotland and England are increasingly both getting up off their knees, aren't willing to be misled and scared anymore, are joining the people's armies (SNP and UKIP) and want to stick two fingers up at the establishment!:D
  • Options
    J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yougov European election poll

Labour 32
    Tory 24
    Ukip 23

Westminster

Labour 39
    Tory 34

Maybe need another couple of polls to confirm but it does look like the budget bounce has faded. Still all to play for.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J_Waller wrote: »
    Brown tried to form a coalition with the Lib Dems and stayed as PM for a few days after the GE, Jol.

But he failed, not only that, he came in for much criticism for being seen to be clinging on to power.

Not a good position to be in.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's should always be seats as that's the system people voted under. If we didn't have FPTP the percentages would look very different.

But that us boiling it down to pure mathematics, and it doesn't work like that. Clegg as a libdem supports PR, and so forming a coalition with a party that has won the popular vote is more in line with this principle than seats in a biased electoral system.
This discussion has been closed.