Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like lots of different types though.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't agree at all. It's an incredibly shallow and superficial thing to judge someone based upon.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on, don't take the bait. The guy's been trolling non stop and has already been banned.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Oh come on, don't take the bait. The guy's been trolling non stop and has already been banned.

Some people believe it's true, though. They actually do judge others by their lists of favourite films.

We have seen this a few times on this board. The most recent I can recall: "What are you, 9?" to a poster for listing his favourite (and apparently childish) films. Pretty pathetic.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like French movies but I'm not French.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends how you associate different genres with certain characteristics of individuals.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like horror films and I am fairly horrible so it must be true.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    Reminds me: Was it Oscar Wilde who said of course you can judge someone by their clothes?

The problem here is that judge is too strong a term. I don't suppose it's altogether impossible for our cultural choices to perhaps give something about us away in a vague, none-too-deep sort of way. And like our clothes, they can also give off messages (which we can't help) which prove wholly untrue.

Always an interesting trope, but don't read too much into it.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the film Freddy Got Fingered.
    All that says about me is that I need to drink less ?
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love horror films. According to some that makes me a psychopath as I 'enjoy' watching people been tortured. mmmmmm.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Reminds me: Was it Oscar Wilde who said of course you can judge someone by their clothes?

The problem here is that judge is too strong a term. I don't suppose it's altogether impossible for our cultural choices to perhaps give something about us away in a vague, none-too-deep sort of way. And like our clothes, they can also give off messages (which we can't help) which prove wholly untrue.

Always an interesting trope, but don't read too much into it.

Indeed.

If your film choices are limited to, for example, noisy CGI cartoons, all that tells an observer is that the individual is unlikely to be able to talk about cinema in any meaningful way. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are unintelligent or unable to discuss other subjects knowledgeably.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard not to judge the people who like Twilight.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can judge a person by whether they judge others based on the types of films they like.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judge away. :D My favorite movies are:

Monty Python and The Holy Grail
    Gladiator
    UHF
    Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
    Halloween (original)
    This Is Spinal Tap
    A Christmas Story
    Lord of the Rings (all 3)
    Simon Birch
    The Princess Bride
    Lilo and Stitch
    The Lego Movie
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    You can judge a person by whether they judge others based on the types of films they like.

Not only that but you can judge a person who judges others on whether they judge others on the types of films they like.

I liked Dredd - he was a judge. Maybe that makes me 'judgmental'.:confused:
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Some people believe it's true, though. They actually do judge others by their lists of favourite films.

We have seen this a few times on this board. The most recent I can recall: "What are you, 9?" to a poster for listing his favourite (and apparently childish) films. Pretty pathetic.

Yep. And don't get me started on that "Why do some people enjoy horror movies?" thread, or whatever it was called.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Dredd - he was a judge. Maybe that makes me 'judgmental'.:confused:

Citizen, you have been found guilty of enjoying films in the romcom genre in contravention of the law. The sentence....is death. How do you plead?

Defence noted. <bang>

:D
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love weird unconventional stuff like Dancer in the Dark and also foreign-language films like Oldboy and Studio Ghibli stuff.

However, I also love Star Wars more than any other film series and am also a massive fan of LOTR, The Avengers and James Bond, and other big franchises.

Try and make a judgement if you like - people are generally more complex than genre=personality, though...
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    Citizen, you have been found guilty of enjoying films in the romcom genre in contravention of the law. The sentence....is death. How do you plead?

Defence noted. <bang>

:D

:D:D:D

Frankly, a death sentence for watching romcoms is pretty lenient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

Frankly, a death sentence for watching romcoms is pretty lenient.

That's only if you comply. If you resist, its life in an isocube with Sarah Jessica Parker - without parole.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really
    I don't judge people by what they like. I can judge people who judge people by what they like. That's called shallow and judgemental.