Options

Carrie Remake Trailer

2»

Comments

• Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Not really, there are things in the trailer that didn't happen in the original film, lots more with Carrie and her Mum, going into that relationship more.

I give new versions of films a chance, especially when they have the director and cast they have.

If the 'remake' turns out rubbish, you still have the original, not going to change the precious first film. Both films are adaptations of the book, obviously there are going to be a lot of similar things.

Yeah the original will still be there blah blah blah, the most over-used statement on these boards.

I'd really love to know what you saw in that trailer that indicates there is LOTS more with Carrie and her Mum. The trailer is 2 minutes 31 it can hardly show "lots".

There's another thread at the moment about mis-leading trailers. Maybe by the time you see it, the "lots" of extra Carrie and Mum stuff you seemed to spot will be gone and it will just be flashy, crap remake like 98% of the other remakes the unimaginative studios keep dishing out.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It is over used because it's true, want to know what is 'over used' in the comments department - people hating remakes before seeing them. :yawn:

Want to know what I saw different in the trailer, go back and watch the original film.

And before someone asks, the original Carrie film is one of my all time favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah so it's different stuff in the trailer, I thought you said it was lots more with Carrie and her Mum, I wish you'd be clear about this. There's nothing in that trailer to indicate that it looks at their relationship more than the original, nothing whatsoever.

Seen the original enough times to know what's different. There's stuff NOT in the trailer that's in the original such as Piper Lauries' conversation with Priscilla Pointer. So when it all balances out there will be slight differences, after all the director has to validate their "new adaptation" statement.

The only potential good thing that will come from this is a new BR transfer of the original seen as the existing US disc is quite poor.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, I'm not really feeling the trailer. It looks terrible imo :o However, I guess I can't exactly say too much considering I haven't read the book, and it's said to be closely related to the book rather than the 1976 film.

Can I ask anybody who has read the book, is there significant differences between the book and the original film?

I guess for me it's quite hard to see Carrie and not think of Sissy Spacek. She was fantastic. I just think Chloe seems too pretty to play Carrie. I always imagine Carrie as being very plain and delicate. In saying that, I think Julianne Moore is a great choice for Mrs White
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Sadly, I'm not really feeling the trailer. It looks terrible imo :o However, I guess I can't exactly say too much considering I haven't read the book, and it's said to be closely related to the book rather than the 1976 film.

Can I ask anybody who has read the book, is there significant differences between the book and the original film?

I guess for me it's quite hard to see Carrie and not think of Sissy Spacek. She was fantastic. I just think Chloe seems too pretty to play Carrie. I always imagine Carrie as being very plain and delicate. In saying that, I think Julianne Moore is a great choice for Mrs White

The original film isn't vastly different it's just bits here and there like a lot of adaptations.

A few I can think of are slight differences with the character of Sue Snell after the prom disaster - she writes a book about events but obviously in the film she just wakes up from the "hand" nightmare. Another difference is Chris and Billy leave the school in the book but in the film they watch through a window.
    Both Carrie and her mum are described as being ugly and overweight in the book which they're not in the film.......and obviously not in the new version so they're not really sticking to the book that much, are they hmmmmm.
    Carries rampage goes through town in the book but ends at the school in the film. It looks like the new version will include a longer "rampage" though I expect this is more to show off the effects budget than for plot and story - please correct me if I'm wrong once the film is released and we see for ourselves.
    I can't remember whose dad he is but one of the girls' dad is a lawyer and features in the book and not the film.

The overall presentation of the book is told through news articles and witness testimonies, sort of retrospectively.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another pointless remake from Hollywood, the "76 De Palma version is a classic and still scares the crap out of me! :o
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Is this a remake of the film or a new adaptation of the book?

I'm pretty sure it's a new adaptation, being based more closely on the novel.

Too bad it will always be compared to the first movie rather than the original novel.

I'm giving it a fair chance. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's a new adaptation, being based more closely on the novel.

Too bad it will always be compared to the first movie rather than the original novel.

I'm giving it a fair chance. :)

Yes, more closely to book. Like having Carrie and her mum ugly and overweight with bad skin as described in the book :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Yes, more closely to book. Like having Carrie and her mum ugly and overweight with bad skin as described in the book :rolleyes:

I was merely repeating what has been reported. And I'm pretty sure it refers to the happenings rather than the exact appearance of the characters.

The first movie changed the name and fate of one notable character, yet everybody loves it, so I think it would be unfair if those same people use the "Carrie doesn't look how she should" as a critique.

I don't mind if they make changes, that wasn't me putting down the first film. I love it, I'm just saying that I intend to give this one a fair go and not judge it purely based on the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was merely repeating what has been reported. And I'm pretty sure it refers to the happenings rather than the exact appearance of the characters.

The first movie changed the name and fate of one notable character, yet everybody loves it, so I think it would be unfair if those same people use the "Carrie doesn't look how she should" as a critique.

I don't mind if they make changes, that wasn't me putting down the first film. I love it, I'm just saying that I intend to give this one a fair go and not judge it purely based on the original.

Yes, but did De Palma spout off about it being a close adaptation of the book and then did the studio issue a trailer that is basically the whole story edited into 2 minutes. As I said earlier, all the director needs to do is do a few different scenes etc and it validates their "closer to the book" statement. I'd have more respect if they were just honest and said "we're remaking Carrie".
    We're going to have nauseatingly good looking high school kids (one of trying to look awkward), overblown cgi just because they can, probably about three endings and the occasional "rock" track on the soundtrack.

I'm genuinely am shocked that so many so called film fans are seeing this trailer and thinking its going to offer one thing new. Whereas to me it just screams Gus Van Saints Psycho.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    The original film isn't vastly different it's just bits here and there like a lot of adaptations.

A few I can think of are slight differences with the character of Sue Snell after the prom disaster - she writes a book about events but obviously in the film she just wakes up from the "hand" nightmare. Another difference is Chris and Billy leave the school in the book but in the film they watch through a window.
    Both Carrie and her mum are described as being ugly and overweight in the book which they're not in the film.......and obviously not in the new version so they're not really sticking to the book that much, are they hmmmmm.
    Carries rampage goes through town in the book but ends at the school in the film. It looks like the new version will include a longer "rampage" though I expect this is more to show off the effects budget than for plot and story - please correct me if I'm wrong once the film is released and we see for ourselves.
    I can't remember whose dad he is but one of the girls' dad is a lawyer and features in the book and not the film.

The overall presentation of the book is told through news articles and witness testimonies, sort of retrospectively.

Thanks :) I also think in the book Mrs Collins/Desjardin lives, yet in the film she obviously dies at prom. I was watching a documentary on it this morning when Betty Buckley explained she was kinda pissed when she found out she was gonna die. I reckon she'll more than likely live in this remake
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The full theatrical trailer has just been released. Will still stuck, and be another throwaway remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhi7ajKtVU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The full theatrical trailer has just been released. Will still stuck, and be another throwaway remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhi7ajKtVU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah, that's what the previous 15 or so comments have been discussing.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it tonight.

Poor movie.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad film at all, but is too similar to the original. The climax is also something of a disappointment as there isn't really much more destruction than we already saw, and nowhere near as much as there is in the book (and you'd expect more considering special effects these days).

The only real difference is that
    Miss Desjardin survives.

And the alternate ending where
    Carrie's hand comes out of Sue's vagina (yes, really)

is far better than the official ending.