25 years since Hillsborough

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was at villa park that day , at first we thought it was crowd trouble but slowly the truth began to come through & coming home in an old transit with no radio we had to stop regularly at services to use payphones to ring home . everyone in that van had family or friends at hillsborough and despite our team winning a semi final nobody spoke . I remember finding out that my then girlfriend was ok and feeling elated then finding out through tearful relatives that my cousin had been very seriously injured .

Terrible day but made worse by the lies and bile spilled by so many in the last 25 years , thank goodness that finally many not touched by the tragedy are learning the truth .

RIP those lost that day and deepest sympathy to the family and friends left behind .
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to see a fantastic play about the history of Liverpool called "You'll never walk alone" the other day. One of the most amazing shows I've ever had the fortune to see. There was a very moving and sad monologue by one of the female characters about Hillsborough which made the whole audience completely fall into silence. Amazing stuff but sadly it was all too real

I can't imagine how the families who lost their loved ones coped.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Football fans were treated like animals in those days.

A lot of football fans act like animals.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I remember the day, and I remember a feeling of claustrophobia at the Leppings Lane end in 2010, as if the past was echoing still.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really isn't the right thread to slag people off its a remembrance thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I wasn't alive at the time but I hope the families of the victims find peace one day. How cruel the press were, The Sun is was absolutely diabolical and how vilified the fans were, it's hard to fathom having vicious lies and cover ups surrounding the tragedy and deaths of innocent people. It's simply awful. RIP to the 96.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try a FEW act like animals, a minority spoiling it for the rest. Giving the genuine peaceful fans a bad name

I used to litter pick at Wembley. I was there for many games, you'd get crowds of lads being a little rowdy, in high spirits but 99% of them were good natured, no bother at all they were fun to be around, a nice atmosphere. Lots of families and young kids too

The ones who do act like animals aren't even true footie fans, they are the same type you'd find at an EDL rally. The have no true interest in the cause they are just there to cause trouble.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt realise until today that Steven Gerrard's cousin was one of the victims
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member

I only found out a couple of days ago reading his book.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member

Yeh, During the church ceremony they have each year, the families are seated on oneside and the players and club staff the other, Gerrard always sits with the families.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe it's 25 years ago. A truly awful, heartbreaking day for too many people.....
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a very moving ceremony. As a lifelong Liverpool fan living in Liverpool, I know how important this has been. Great credit is due to Roberto Martinez - Everton have always stood by us on this, whatever our footballing differences - and Andy Burnham. I was at the 20th anniversary when he was barracked and the way he responded to that says an enormous amount about the man. He took a great risk with his political career to support the families the way he did.
  • decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote this a few years ago but have updated it and would like to post it here today. I'm a Forest fan who attended the game as a 12 year old boy:

On the way to the ground the atmosphere was brilliant, Forest and Liverpool had a great rivalry back then but there was no trouble, or at least I didn't see anything, it was all good natured between the two sets of fans. This was my first FA Cup semi-final, my dad could only get two tickets the year before and took my brother so promised me that the next year I would go should Forest make it. Well we did and I was there.

Once in the ground I don't really recall anything until the game started. Many people say they can remember thinking that the Liverpool end looked strange because the middle pens looked full and the outer ones were all but empty I can't even remember noticing.

The first thing I remember is seeing a few Liverpool fans on the pitch, the game stopping and the players leaving the field. People around us were saying things like "F---ing Liverpool again" and others were thinking that the supporters were coming for us and it was going to be a mass riot. The Forest supporters had no idea what was really happening so a pitch invasion was the logical thing. The police even formed a barrier on the halfway line to prevent the Liverpool fans from reaching us, although that was never their intention.

A short while later (it could've been seconds) the Liverpool fans began ripping up the advertising hoardings and Forest supporters gave them a round of applause. There were no mobile phones back then so word had got round via radios or something that this wasn't football violence this was a horrible tragedy that was getting worse. The advertising boards were being used as stretchers.

I remember Kenny Dalglish addressing the stadium but can't remember what he said.

I remember one ambulance on the pitch. ONE f---ing ambulance. I will always remember that.

I have vague recollections of them moving the bodies to the area of the ground where we were standing and laying them down side by side, but I was 12 so my dad tried to stop me from seeing too much.

I remember having to wait what seemed like an eternity to be able to leave the ground and get back to my dad's car.

I can't say what I witnessed that day traumatised me in any big way, it never stopped me wanting to go to the football, I'm not sure whether that's because I was only 12 and children can recover quicker from things, and that my dad attempted to shield me from some of the worst sights or maybe it's because looking back now it all seems so surreal I may as well have been watching the events unfold on Grandstand.

I think that the Forest supporters are often the forgotten people of the Hillsborough disaster, many are still scarred by those events yet very little was done in the aftermath to help those affected. It's understandable that this happened but I still think more could have been done.

Over the years I think Hillsborough has probably started to affect me more, The thought of it upsets me more now than it did in the months afterwards, I've stood for a minute's silence at a football ground many times but usually I'm fine with them but the Hillsborough one always has me in tears, I don't even have to be at the ground, watching the one on TV on Saturday I began to well up. Also they are normally observed to celebrate somebody's career or life. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate about 96 people needlessly losing their lives.

Looking at the way football is now it's crazy to think that Hillsborough occurred just 25 years ago, just a little over three years before the advent of the Premier League. Many times I look back at the when I first started watching football in the early 80s and sometimes think it was a better time but in reality it wasn't; the grounds were dumps, everyone was treated like a hooligan and it took Hillsborough for the government to do something about it.

Hopefully one day soon the families of those who died will get the closure they've been seeking for so long and they can finally be allowed to move on and rebuild their lives. I also wish the smear campaigns and vile accusations against Liverpool supporters would stop, this thing transcends football and using it as ammunition for club rivalries is sick and wrong. I'm no fan of Liverpool FC but will always support them in their quest for justice.

I hope that all football fans come together today to mark this anniversary because when you next sit in your nice seat in a state of the art football ground rather than be penned in like cattle, in some small way you have the 96 of Hillsborough to thank for it.

Justice For The 96. Rest In Peace.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very moving service. some wonderful speeches. especially powerful speeches from Trevor Hicks and Margret Aspinall , everyone of them deserve so much credit for what they have achieved.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people realise there could have been another "Hillsborough disaster" 8 years before this one but involving Spurs supporters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzHVe2mEN0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was about 14 stone at the time and 6 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground as I went in!! And again the police and the media at the time blamed the supporters!!!

Obviously they never learnt from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote this a few years ago but have updated it and would like to post it here today. I'm a Forest fan who attended the game as a 12 year old boy:

On the way to the ground the atmosphere was brilliant, Forest and Liverpool had a great rivalry back then but there was no trouble, or at least I didn't see anything, it was all good natured between the two sets of fans. This was my first FA Cup semi-final, my dad could only get two tickets the year before and took my brother so promised me that the next year I would go should Forest make it. Well we did and I was there.

Once in the ground I don't really recall anything until the game started. Many people say they can remember thinking that the Liverpool end looked strange because the middle pens looked full and the outer ones were all but empty I can't even remember noticing.

The first thing I remember is seeing a few Liverpool fans on the pitch, the game stopping and the players leaving the field. People around us were saying things like "F---ing Liverpool again" and others were thinking that the supporters were coming for us and it was going to be a mass riot. The Forest supporters had no idea what was really happening so a pitch invasion was the logical thing. The police even formed a barrier on the halfway line to prevent the Liverpool fans from reaching us, although that was never their intention.

A short while later (it could've been seconds) the Liverpool fans began ripping up the advertising hoardings and Forest supporters gave them a round of applause. There were no mobile phones back then so word had got round via radios or something that this wasn't football violence this was a horrible tragedy that was getting worse. The advertising boards were being used as stretchers.

I remember Kenny Dalglish addressing the stadium but can't remember what he said.

I remember one ambulance on the pitch. ONE f---ing ambulance. I will always remember that.

I have vague recollections of them moving the bodies to the area of the ground where we were standing and laying them down side by side, but I was 12 so my dad tried to stop me from seeing too much.

I remember having to wait what seemed like an eternity to be able to leave the ground and get back to my dad's car.

I can't say what I witnessed that day traumatised me in any big way, it never stopped me wanting to go to the football, I'm not sure whether that's because I was only 12 and children can recover quicker from things, and that my dad attempted to shield me from some of the worst sights or maybe it's because looking back now it all seems so surreal I may as well have been watching the events unfold on Grandstand.

I think that the Forest supporters are often the forgotten people of the Hillsborough disaster, many are still scarred by those events yet very little was done in the aftermath to help those affected. It's understandable that this happened but I still think more could have been done.

Over the years I think Hillsborough has probably started to affect me more, The thought of it upsets me more now than it did in the months afterwards, I've stood for a minute's silence at a football ground many times but usually I'm fine with them but the Hillsborough one always has me in tears, I don't even have to be at the ground, watching the one on TV on Saturday I began to well up. Also they are normally observed to celebrate somebody's career or life. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate about 96 people needlessly losing their lives.

Looking at the way football is now it's crazy to think that Hillsborough occurred just 25 years ago, just a little over three years before the advent of the Premier League. Many times I look back at the when I first started watching football in the early 80s and sometimes think it was a better time but in reality it wasn't; the grounds were dumps, everyone was treated like a hooligan and it took Hillsborough for the government to do something about it.

Hopefully one day soon the families of those who died will get the closure they've been seeking for so long and they can finally be allowed to move on and rebuild their lives. I also wish the smear campaigns and vile accusations against Liverpool supporters would stop, this thing transcends football and using it as ammunition for club rivalries is sick and wrong. I'm no fan of Liverpool FC but will always support them in their quest for justice.

I hope that all football fans come together today to mark this anniversary because when you next sit in your nice seat in a state of the art football ground rather than be penned in like cattle, in some small way you have the 96 of Hillsborough to thank for it.

Justice For The 96. Rest In Peace.
    Incredible post Decemberboy. there is absolutely no doubt it affected many Forest fans that day, listening to a very sad story last night on radio 5 of a Forrest fan who never got over that day and sadly took his own life.
    I am certain you would be made very welcome on RAWK, there is a survivors thread for any fan who needs to talk or needs advice. dont hesitate m8, if you do decide to post this and have any problems joining ,let me know and i will get a message to a Mod.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=44.0
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Do people realise there could have been another "Hillsborough disaster" 8 years before this one but involving Spurs supporters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzHVe2mEN0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was about 14 stone at the time and 6 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground as I went in!! And again the police and the media at the time blamed the supporters!!!

Obviously they never learnt from that.

Incredible isn't it? Those fans of other clubs who use this terrible disaster as a stick to beat Liverpool FC with don't seem to realise that it could so easily have been them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Yeh, During the church ceremony they have each year, the families are seated on oneside and the players and club staff the other, Gerrard always sits with the families.

It must be tough for all of them :(
    I only found out a couple of days ago reading his book.

I read it in the paper. He was fantastic last weekend in how he was with the team and the media afterwards.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe it was 25 years ago. A sad day for all football fans.

JFT96. RIP :(
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he was the youngest victim at just ten.:(
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he was the youngest victim at just ten.:(

Yeah he was, Jon-Paul Gilhooley
  • decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Incredible post Decemberboy. there is absolutely no doubt it affected many Forest fans that day, listening to a very sad story last night on radio 5 of a Forrest fan who never got over that day and sadly took his own life.
    I am certain you would be made very welcome on RAWK, there is a survivors thread for any fan who needs to talk or needs advice. dont hesitate m8, if you do decide to post this and have any problems joining ,let me know and i will get a message to a Mod.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=44.0

Thanks for the link Trips. I'll have a read through some posts. I often read the Liverpool boards at this time of year but I've always felt like I'm intruding if I post something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Trips. I'll have a read through some posts. I often read the Liverpool boards at this time of year but I've always felt like I'm intruding if I post something.

No way, you wont be intruding decemberboy, think you have to speak to people who were their and understand how you feel.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I stayed in London when this happened, had only been there a week and one of the girls I was living with was distraught as she was Liverpudlian and her brother was at the game. It was a tense few hours before she discovered that he was thankfully one of the survivors
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at Headingley watching an Alliance team rugby league cup match, can't even remember who Leeds were playing, but it was brilliant weather and we were all laid out along the Northern Terrace, which still had standing in those days when news started to come over the radio of something happening at Hillsborough.

No-one should go to a sporting event and lose their lives and I can understand the families need to fight for justice for their loved ones because of the aftermath of Hillsborough and the dreadful attempts to cover up what had happened.