Options

PC, Console or Both

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    I also user advanced system care something or other which sorts my windows registry out too!

That might actually be doing more harm than good - even the registry cleaner in CCleaner can cause problems.
    You shouldn't have to do a disc clean and defrag every week, anyway. In some OS's defragging isn't even necessary, nowadays - I've not defragged my main Win7 machine ever and it's coming up to 3 years old... Very basically, it does it itself to a certain extent, from what I've read... It's been an automated process since Vista.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    That might actually be doing more harm than good - even the registry cleaner in CCleaner can cause problems.
    You shouldn't have to do a disc clean and defrag every week, anyway. In some OS's defragging isn't even necessary, nowadays - I've not defragged my main Win7 machine ever and it's coming up to 3 years old... Very basically, it does it itself to a certain extent, from what I've read...

Nah I just do it to be sure really. The reg cleaner Im using is part of Iobit Advanced system care and it seems to be ok so far! It's also got a memory purge function to free up memory.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah I just do it to be sure really. The reg cleaner Im using is part of Iobit Advanced system care and it seems to be ok so far! It's also got a memory purge function to free up memory.

You know Iobit has a horrible reputation for software that causes more problems than they fix? Their stuff is totally unnecessary.
    Doing it just to be sure is still possibly causing more damage than you think it's solving.

A decent AV, firewall, Malwarebytes and CCleaner are all you need to keep things ticking along nicely, unless you're prone to acts of stupidity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    You know Iobit has a horrible reputation for software that causes more problems than they fix? Their stuff is totally unnecessary.
    Doing it just to be sure is still possibly causing more damage than you think it's solving.

Yeah possibly :)

Although it's been going on for about 2 years now and seems to be ok so far.

If anything did go hugely wrong then it would be time for operation clean slate lol
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to be able to kill a HDD in a matter of years on PCs :blush:

I agree with gillyallan, even with regular maintenance and formatting PC do seem to get "tired" after a couple of years no matter what you do to them.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats an easy one mate - a weekly clean using disk clean up and defrag will sort that out. I also user advanced system care something or other which sorts my windows registry out too! Literally a job you can kick off in the background or you can start it up and go out for a an hour. Mine only takes about 20 minutes now as I do it weekly on both machines like.

I use TuneUp utilities 2014 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I seem to be able to kill a HDD in a matter of years on PCs :blush:

I agree with gillyallan, even with regular maintenance and formatting PC do seem to get "tired" after a couple of years no matter what you do to them.

New HDD then ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New HDD then ;)

At least they are cheap. I don't know what it is I seem to have a lethal touch when it comes to HDD
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So new hdd. Reinstall windows let it patch all updates. Reinstall all virus etc. Download all your games again.

Hmmmm. Console just seems easier. Sure it doesn't do as much but just works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    At least they are cheap. I don't know what it is I seem to have a lethal touch when it comes to HDD

I have a lethal touch too if mine goes wrong.

I whack it with a hammer and call it evil names
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    So new hdd. Reinstall windows let it patch all updates. Reinstall all virus etc. Download all your games again.

Hmmmm. Console just seems easier. Sure it doesn't do as much but just works.

No arguing with that ! :D
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity"

This guy would be labelled a troll if he said that on here rofl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity"

lmao true....so true lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Console only for me. Barely use my laptop these days for anything. Plus PC gaming just doesn't feel right to me.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure he's earned the ire of someone somewhere. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Console only for me. Barely use my laptop these days for anything. Plus PC gaming just doesn't feel right to me.

Thats the part I don't understand 'PC gaming doesn't feel right' :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For me the different formats all have a unique feel to them. Console, mobile, portable, PC and browser gaming all have there own nuances.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

It's probably to do with the higher graphical settings, 1080p (or 4k), 60 FPS, no online subscription, mods, cheaper games etc. After all we can't have players being too spoilt for choice or going 'too next gen'.

Can't be to do with playing on a gamepad and sitting on a couch when you can do that on a PC already.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ but hooking the PC up to the telly and using a gamepad while sitting on the couch isn't the stereotypical view of a PC gamer that we all have.

Back to the basement with you, sit on a manky old office chair. You will put the PC that's hooked up to an 18" screen (snigger) on an IKEA style put together desk.

Please leave the big tv and comfy couch to us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    ^^^^ but hooking the PC up to the telly and using a gamepad while sitting on the couch isn't the stereotypical view of a PC gamer that we all have.

Back to the basement with you, sit on a manky old office chair. You will put the PC that's hooked up to an 18" screen (snigger) on an IKEA style put together desk.

welcome to modern day PC gaming :D
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »

You do know this isn't the 90's right? You seem to be stuck in a time warp. Bless ya.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's hard to explain. I have done some PC gaming in my time. I just find gaming better on consoles. Might just be what I'm used to as I got my first console at 8 or 9 and I'm now 31.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to explain. I have done some PC gaming in my time. I just find gaming better on consoles. Might just be what I'm used to as I got my first console at 8 or 9 and I'm now 31.

Pretty much same as me. Although I started pc gaming about 7 years ago.

When pc gaming doesn't work it spoils the enjoyment but when it does work it beats consoles hands down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was using a k/b and mouse that put me off PC gaming for a long time. I was so used to the ease of console gaming and using a controller but now, most modern PC games have partial or full controller support. I still like gaming on console though.