Options

The Hunger Games - out 23rd March

Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
[news]'The Hunger Games' cuts 'bloody' seven seconds to get 12A rating[/news]
I haven't seen any threads around here about the Hunger Games yet. I'm so excited for its release - I absolutely adored the book when I read it last year. Its the best in the trilogy in my opinion, so I really hope they do this one justice. I still hope its good enough and does well enough for the other 2 books to be made as well.

I've been following the promotion up until the release and there is huge hype for the film in the States. Its breaking ticket records set by the Twilight series and they're calling it the next big franchise. Over here I've only noticed a couple of trailers on the telly so I'm not sure how its going to do. I looked up the first screening at the Odeon in Manchester and there is still plenty of tickets available - hardly the mega sales happening overseas.

The cast includes Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hucherson and Liam Hemsworth. Seem perfect for their roles so far, I reckon.

Here is the latest trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EOHuL68BPSw

Really hope they start using that one on the TV, the others didn't capture the epicness, for lack of a better word, in the same way.

Comments

• Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the books, also hoping it lives up to them :)
    Great cast aswell :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    Love the books, also hoping it lives up to them :)
    Great cast aswell :)

I've never actually seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, was supposed to see X Men: First Class but just never got around to it. I know she was nominated for an Oscar for Winter's Bone so I guess she's really good. :)

Josh Hutcherson I know from Bridge to Terabithia but that is all and it was quite a few years back now! Liam Hemsworth, again I haven't seen him in a single film.

I think its probably better for me to not know them from other films because its really made them seem like the characters I imagined. Haven't been this excited for a film since Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I think the same thing will happen with The Hunger Games here as Twilight, in that the film will spark the mega-craziness of the fans in the US, here in the UK too. No one really knew about Twilight or had read it before the first film had been released (I had but only because I have a lot of American friends who introduced me to it).

Needless to say I am very, very excited. I devoured the books in a matter of days and I still re-read them months afterwards. The cast is really great and I can't wait to see how the story looks on the big screen! I think I'll be going to see it on the 24th and I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen a tv ad for this which mentioned it was a "Worldwide Phenomenon". I'm presuming it's a young persons phenomenon as I've never heard of it till this film started getting attention in Empire mag etc.

I'm intrigued, as it'll be a novelty to see a film that I have no knowledge of - story, characters etc etc.

Hope it lives up to the hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Just seen a tv ad for this which mentioned it was a "Worldwide Phenomenon". I'm presuming it's a young persons phenomenon as I've never heard of it till this film started getting attention in Empire mag etc.

I'm intrigued, as it'll be a novelty to see a film that I have no knowledge of - story, characters etc etc.

Hope it lives up to the hype.

Hype can be a horrible thing, but honestly this time, I think it will live up to it.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any advert I've seen looks like a complete rip off of Battle Royale and Series 7: The Contender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Any advert I've seen looks like a complete rip off of Battle Royale and Series 7: The Contender.

I keep hearing about Battle Royale, a lot of people seem to have taken to comparing the Hunger Games to it since the trailers have been out. I can't say much for it as all I've seen of Battle Royale is its trailer, but the Hunger Games is about much more than the Game itself. It develops into a story about an uprising against a Government and questions a populations obsession with Reality Television and how far it could really go in the future.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

this. it sickens me. I bet THG doen't have a crazy Kazou Kiiyama character though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the same thing will happen with The Hunger Games here as Twilight, in that the film will spark the mega-craziness of the fans in the US, here in the UK too. No one really knew about Twilight or had read it before the first film had been released (I had but only because I have a lot of American friends who introduced me to it).

Needless to say I am very, very excited. I devoured the books in a matter of days and I still re-read them months afterwards. The cast is really great and I can't wait to see how the story looks on the big screen! I think I'll be going to see it on the 24th and I'm really looking forward to it!

Noticeably the Hunger Games is getting compared to Twilight an awful lot. They're two completely different stories but you just can't help comparing the possible success of this series to Twilights.

However, I have noticed that the Hunger Games fans want to associate themselves more with the Harry Potter fans particularly. Whenever someone starts trying to say "Team Peeta" or "Team Gale" in the style of the whole "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" craze they suffer a lot of abuse, wherever they choose to post it!

I will be really happy if the Hunger Games ever makes it up to the level of success the Twilight saga has had so far, but I've never been so nervous for the critic reviews for a movie to come in, because I think the one thing that could separate this film from the constant comparisons is if its a critical success - not just a fan one. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. wrote: »
    I keep hearing about Battle Royale, a lot of people seem to have taken to comparing the Hunger Games to it since the trailers have been out. I can't say much for it as all I've seen of Battle Royale is its trailer, but the Hunger Games is about much more than the Game itself. It develops into a story about an uprising against a Government and questions a populations obsession with Reality Television and how far it could really go in the future.

Yep the description you've given makes it sound even more of a mish mash of Battle Royale and Series 7.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    The Hunger Games, Battle Royale, The Running Man etc....are hardly new concepts.

The idea of lethal games for the purposes of entertainment/distraction go back to Roman times.

It strikes me that country's resources being plundered by a greedy capital city hosting an expensive series of games for the entertainment of an elite applies to Panem....and this summer in London.

As for the film, it looks great. If they can capture the deranged nuttiness of the Capitol, it will succeed. Any person who tries to apply the "Team (someone) vs Team (someone)" to "The Hunger Games" should themselves be entered into a real life version of it. "The Hunger Games" fandom does not need to pattern itself on obnoxious Twilight fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hunger Games, Battle Royale, The Running Man etc....are hardly new concepts.

The idea of lethal games for the purposes of entertainment/distraction go back to Roman times.

It strikes me that country's resources being plundered by a greedy capital city hosting an expensive series of games for the entertainment of an elite applies to Panem....and this summer in London.

As for the film, it looks great. If they can capture the deranged nuttiness of the Capitol, it will succeed. Any person who tries to apply the "Team (someone) vs Team (someone)" to "The Hunger Games" should themselves be entered into a real life version of it. "The Hunger Games" fandom does not need to pattern itself on obnoxious Twilight fans.

There's nothing in the adverts that makes it stand out.
    I'd never heard of the books, but with the Twilight comparisons, I'm guessing they'll be in the teen fiction section.
    Also Lenny Kravitz isn't a good sign. Acting singers do not have a good track record.
    Apart from Bowie in Labyrinth obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd never heard of the books, but with the Twilight comparisons, I'm guessing they'll be in the teen fiction section.

If you know nothing about it, then naturally nothing will stand out for you. When "Eat Pray Love" came out, nothing about it stood out for me, because I hadn't read the book, knew nothing about it, and had no interest in it.

The Twilight comparisons are made only by people who really haven't taken the time to understand what the books are about. Twilight is basically the sexual fantasy of its author. There is no legitimate comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Lenny Kravitz isn't a good sign. Acting singers do not have a good track record.
    Apart from Bowie in Labyrinth obviously.

Lenny Kravitz only has a small role, fans are looking forward to seeing his character but he doesn't really have much of a part in the film.

Still, he seems very good in the clip they've released of his character, Cinna, talking to Katniss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you know nothing about it, then naturally nothing will stand out for you. When "Eat Pray Love" came out, nothing about it stood out for me, because I hadn't read the book, knew nothing about it, and had no interest in it.

The Twilight comparisons are made only by people who really haven't taken the time to understand what the books are about. Twilight is basically the sexual fantasy of its author. There is no legitimate comparison.

That's not true though.
    There are hundreds of movies made every year not based on books and lots of them have things that stand out in their trailers and adverts. So having read or not read the book should have no bearing.
    Of course there are lots of films non book based that also have nothing that stands out about them as well.
    And knowing Eat Pray Love was made by the guy who created Glee was all I needed to know. That and it was some female journey of discovery. No. Just no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe one of Suzanne Collins' influences when writing the book was some sort of Greek myth, but I can't remember what it was now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not true though.
    There are hundreds of movies made every year not based on books and lots of them have things that stand out in their trailers and adverts. So having read or not read the book should have no bearing.
    Of course there are lots of films non book based that also have nothing that stands out about them as well.
    And knowing Eat Pray Love was made by the guy who created Glee was all I needed to know. That and it was some female journey of discovery. No. Just no.

What needs to be noted (and I would say praised) about the trailers for the Hunger Games is that they only show events mainly from the first 8 chapters of a 27 chapter book. The trailers show nothing of the actual games at all (except I think one very short clip of Katniss with a bow and arrow and fire). They're keeping the main content of the film a surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe one of Suzanne Collins' influences when writing the book was some sort of Greek myth, but I can't remember what it was now.

Minotaur
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's not true though.

What "stands out" will vary. If you like these kind of dystopian-world movies, then it might appeal to you. If not, it won't.
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was it? I thought it was to do with watching tv and war footage came on?

I can't wait for the films to come out after reading the 3 books last year. I hope its just as good :)

A bit disappointed they cut out Madge, even if she was a minimal character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it? I thought it was to do with watching tv and war footage came on?

I can't wait for the films to come out after reading the 3 books last year. I hope its just as good :)

A bit disappointed they cut out Madge, even if she was a minimal character.

You are right about the reality TV and war footage channel flicking, but she also noted Greek mythology as a great influence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lawrence looks very similar to Emily Browning
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people only reading the books because we were told last year they were making a movie based on the books cos i certainly hadn't heard of The Hunger Games (what a stupid title!) until they announced they were turning it into a film.

Essentially they want it to be a phenomenon what Twilight was and we all know those films were BAD! Wouldn't be surprised if it receives terrible reviews despite the starry teenage cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Are people only reading the books because we were told last year they were making a movie based on the books cos i certainly hadn't heard of The Hunger Games (what a stupid title!) until they announced they were turning it into a film.

Essentially they want it to be a phenomenon what Twilight was and we all know those films were BAD! Wouldn't be surprised if it receives terrible reviews despite the starry teenage cast.

I bought the books in March last year but admittedly left them on the shelf for a long time. It was just before the first trailer was released last year with Katniss running through the woods that I read the first book. Took me 2 days at the most, its very addictive.

If they were so keen on riding on the fame of Twilight I'm pretty sure the trailers would be full of romance, not to mention the posters. There is a teen romance involved, but from what I've read from the director, he's made sure that it rightly forms only a part of the story and isn't cheesy and cringeworthy like the Twilight series. In fact anyone viewing the promotional materials who hasn't read the books probably doesn't even know that it involves anything of the sort.

Seems to me more like they're pushing for a wider audience than just teenage girls. I hear a lot of young boys also enjoy the books. Essentially they're hoping for an audience closer to that the Harry Potter series had, although it will probably only have the potential to meet the two audiences in the middle somewhere.

I'm not a huge fan of Gary Ross, I haven't seen either of his 2 previous directoral works, but both Pleasantville and Seabiscuit were up for Academy Awards. That gives me confidence.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I don't know if the films will be good or even watchable. But the story has virtually nothing in common with Twilight. Furthermore beyond a few similarities in the initial premise the story has very little in common with Battle Royale either.