Options

Why don't TV actors make good film stars?

jackierjackier Posts: 546
Forum Member
✭✭
This is a question that has been bugging me whilst watching boxed sets of two of my favourite shows (Charmed and Stargate Atlantis). Some of the actors in these shows were (in my opinion) very good and I wonder why they never crossed over to feature films.

When I thought a bit more I realised that I couldn't think of many actors who had made the transitition successfully from TV star to film star and wondered why - is it a different set of skills needed for film versus tv?

The main exception, I suppose, would have to be George Clooney, who was massive on ER before making the move to films. Others, and I am sure there are many more others include William Shatner, Alyson Hannigan (though after American Pie she is back in a TV series), Jennifer Aniston (sort of)...

Is there some unwritten rule that if you are a TV star you cannot go onto films? I'm just surprised that we haven't seem more main TV stars (eg Amanda Tapping, Joe Flanigan, David Hewlett, Alyssa Milano) cross over to films.

Comments

• Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the examples you have already listed (George Clooney, etc.) there is also Robin Williams (who started in Mork and Mindy), James McAvoy (Shameless), Will Smith (Fresh Prince of Bel Air), Michael Cera (Arrested Development), Jason Bateman (also Arrested Development though he had done some minor films before hand like Teen Wolf Too), James Franco (Freaks and Geeks), Courtney Cox (Friends), Guy Pearce (Home and Away), Johnny Depp (21 Jump Street), Carey Mulligan (bit parts in Doctor Who and costume dramas to film award winner)...

....Michael "I'm everyone I am" Sheen also started (after loads of theatre work of course :p) on ITV and BBC4 dramas.

So no, given the multiple examples we can both give, and your admission that there are many more, there is no such rule. :p

I guess one of the problems is that if you are signed up to produce 22 episodes of a US show you might not be able to fit in the schedule of a film's leading role. Unlike for example Martin Freeman doing 3 episodes of Sherlock where they can hold every thing up to fit The Hobbit in!

Of the actors you list, they have all appeared in minor film roles (for example David Hewlett was in Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Amanda Tapping was in "Life or Something LIke it" with Angelina Jolie).
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    films are showcases, built around the star, who is the main draw.

tv shows are more ensemble acting, with main characters all equally important.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just have four words for you

Clint Eastwood

Daniel Craig
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, Ewan McGregor...
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Tv stars do act in films but they just dont tend to be block buster ones or all that successful ones, they're like tv movies or bit parts in romcoms or something. I think its to do with the fact that they are so associated with one character that it detracts from the character and plot of the films and because tv acting, for some reason, isn't seen to have as much credibility.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzel washington
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny seeing movie Hollywood A listers getting all giddy and star struck when they meet someone from one of their favourite tv shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    Loads of actors got their breaks in TV.
    Take the cast of 'The Great Escape', for example :-
    Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence, James Coburn - all acted in TV for years before going on to film stardom.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's Tommy Lee Jones; Sally Fields; Paul Newman; George Kennedy; Dennis Hopper; James Garner; Ernest Borgnine; Catherine Zeta Jones, Harrison Ford, Anthony Quinn...
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of actors got their breaks in TV.
    Take the cast of 'The Great Escape', for example :-
    Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence, James Coburn - all acted in TV for years before going on to film stardom.

Excellent example(s).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poster above was right. Filming 22 episodes a year is a big committment. Espeically if they sign up to a contract which is for say... 6 seasons.

Look at Prison Breaks Robert Knepper - His character T-Bag brought him great film offers but he couldn't do them alongside Prison Break - Leading to minor roles in films when he wasn't filming. Once Prison Break had finished - The film offers dried up.

It's also the actors choice - Some just prefer to do TV rather than film.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Catherine Zeta Jones.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought most big screen actors began their careers on the small screen?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    jackier wrote: »
    This is a question that has been bugging me whilst watching boxed sets of two of my favourite shows (Charmed and Stargate Atlantis). Some of the actors in these shows were (in my opinion) very good and I wonder why they never crossed over to feature films.

When I thought a bit more I realised that I couldn't think of many actors who had made the transitition successfully from TV star to film star and wondered why - is it a different set of skills needed for film versus tv?

The main exception, I suppose, would have to be George Clooney, who was massive on ER before making the move to films. Others, and I am sure there are many more others include William Shatner, Alyson Hannigan (though after American Pie she is back in a TV series), Jennifer Aniston (sort of)...

Is there some unwritten rule that if you are a TV star you cannot go onto films? I'm just surprised that we haven't seem more main TV stars (eg Amanda Tapping, Joe Flanigan, David Hewlett, Alyssa Milano) cross over to films.

Yes they are different skills and require different techniques.

Think of theatre - you are a long way from the performer - so it requires a lot of physical movement.

TV - you are being invited into someone's front room, like one of the family - but not so distant so a more personal performance is required - also a TV series gives you much more time to develop a character.

Film - the audience do not have as much time to get to know the character - so you have to give a lot away quickly - then of course the smallest movement is now on a huge screen - so the performance is going to be more subtle.

Although the three have different requirements - movement between all three is not unknown - indeed Topol was a star of both stage and screen.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    once they are established, they probably don't go back to TV

eg Jeremy Irons
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    once they are established, they probably don't go back to TV

eg Jeremy Irons
    Is that the same Jeremy Irons who stared in The Borgias? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's funny seeing movie Hollywood A listers getting all giddy and star struck when they meet someone from one of their favourite tv shows.

I think this feeling is a good example of how TV can be a bigger deal to many people than a film. Is there a film like The Simpsons or The Sopranos?

Arguably a lot of the stars of the best TV shows never find another role as great on film. But apart from the lead actors, they tend to find work in other stuff, like the Deadwood cast.

Maybe a reason is old-fashioned perception of there being a huge difference between TV actors and film actors. Bryan Cranston stars in a lot of films, so this trend would appear to be dying off. Also, a lot of film actors are turning to TV because that's where the best stories are being told. TV is in this golden age where it can finally be what it was envisioned as -- film with less constraints and in a more intimate setting.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    It seems harder for American women that British women to jump from TV to film or film to TV and keep the same high level of fame. Clare Danes is a rarity.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Catherine Zeta Jones.

I think Helen Mirren worked primarily in film before television and TV work was just a sideline.

But I think generally speaking many actors start off on television and then work their way up to work in films.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My theory is that people are used to seeing them in their TV roles so it's a little uncomfortable watching them as someone else...?
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Jonny Depp started on 21 Jump Street (iirc)

I think the lines are becomming far more blurred since the dawn of HBO-standard TV drama, you now have the likes of Shaun Bean coming back to TV, while still enjoying a succesfull career in cinema.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Jonny Depp started on 21 Jump Street (iirc)

I think the lines are becomming far more blurred since the dawn of HBO-standard TV drama, you now have the likes of Shaun Bean coming back to TV, while still enjoying a succesfull career in cinema.

Good points.

Kiefer Sutherland is another who seems to have gone the other way; being in big films, then going back to TV & becoming even bigger.
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Kiefer Sutherland is another who seems to have gone the other way; being in big films, then going back to TV & becoming even bigger.

He returns to big films next year when he stars in

24 - the motion picture!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598754/
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Tom Hardy, Sean Bean, Simon Pegg to name three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    He returns to big films next year when he stars in

24 - the motion picture!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598754/

Thanks for that.

I'm definitely looking forward to that.

If the film maintains the quality set by the TV series, it will be something to savour.