Iain Duncan Smith: I could get by on £53 a week

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On sky news a family with 4 children and both don't work. He looks lazy. Get off your backside, lose some weight and get a job. Those people make me sick who moan.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    On sky news a family with 4 children and both don't work. He looks lazy. Get off your backside, lose some weight and get a job. Those people make me sick who moan.

How does that prove you could survive on £53 a week?
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    That was then unknown Tory backbencher, Matthew Parris, MP for West Derbyshire. He admitted what a struggle it would be to do it week in week out. Still it changed his life as it led to a career in the media. He wouldn't have got Waldens old job on Weekend World without it.
    Notice how he now has shut up about benefits.
  • Top Gun 001Top Gun 001 Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I thought they came here to take the jobs that we British are too lazy to take :confused:

That's the claim now - depending on when it suits the Left -. The lazy (presumably white) English working class preferring to live on benefits.

But them ironically moaning when IDS bravely tries to do something about it.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »

Are you offering them a job or just a spitefull opinion?
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    That's the claim now - depending on when it suits the Left -. The lazy (presumably white) English working class preferring to live on benefits.

But them ironically moaning when IDS bravely tries to do something about it.

Aye. IDS is "brave". Taking away money from the people who have the least whilst his government ensure those at the top get more. What a hero.

He's brave in the same way that the Daily Mail is a quality newspaper read by non-idiots who are entirely capable of forming their own opinions and not getting outraged about stuff when they are told to by dateless wonders like Littlejohn.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen George Osboune give his speech at Morrisons on Sky News, in the background a couple of staff looked as though they wished he would vaporize.
  • Top Gun 001Top Gun 001 Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Aye. IDS is "brave". Taking away money from the people who have the least whilst his government ensure those at the top get more. What a hero.

He's brave in the same way that the Daily Mail is a quality newspaper read by non-idiots who are entirely capable of forming their own opinions and not getting outraged about stuff when they are told to by dateless wonders like Littlejohn.

What does that last bit of the rant mean? He's been married since he was 22. :D

It takes political bravery to make reforms to the bloated wefare state. It's one thing knowing it has to be done like Blair - but another thing actually having the conkers to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Randall on Sky news is interesting his guests are saying in effect everbody is contributing bar pensioners free TV licenses,heating allowance,bus passes no cuts,not to mention as George Osboune said just today we cannot subsidise spare rooms, he should have added except for pensioners who still get housing benefit paid in full no matter how many spare rooms.

When everybody is having to tighten their belts is it fair that a huge section can carry on as before.?
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When everybody is having to tighten their belts is it fair that a huge section can carry on as before.?

It is when that section vote Tory!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

Quite perhaps all benefit claimants ought to vote Tory to avoid any cuts.:).
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

Latest Opinion Poll - 60 year olds +

Tory 36%
    Labour 33%
    Lib Dem 10%
    Other 21%

Significantly more old people / pensioners don't vote Tory. Any other gems you'd like to add to this debate?
  • PeggysDadPeggysDad Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's just make it clear, it is completely irrelevant whether the guy who was on the radio was lying. He could be a secret millionaire...so what?

The fact is that some people do have to live on the lowest rate of benefits, around £56 a week. Whether that guy has to live on that doesn't matter, some people do.

Making the challenge put to IDS as relevant as ever.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Jeff Randall on Sky news is interesting his guests are saying in effect everbody is contributing bar pensioners free TV licenses,heating allowance,bus passes no cuts,not to mention as George Osboune said just today we cannot subsidise spare rooms, he should have added except for pensioners who still get housing benefit paid in full no matter how many spare rooms.

You want the elderly to "tighten their belts"?

80 year olds? 90? 100?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

Tory 36%
    Labour 33%
    Lib Dem 10%
    Other 21%

Significantly more old people / pensioners don't vote Tory. Any other gems you'd like to add to this debate?

Opinion polls can be manipulated you know.

Yours does however show the largest vote for any group is tory at 36% as a stand alone party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want the elderly to "tighten their belts"?

80 year olds? 90? 100?

No necessarily but by exempting them the government is doing a divide and rule thats my main point.

One thing i do think though is how come a single pensioner can live on full housing benefits without having to move to a smaller place that may not be there.

But other benefit claimants are having cash stopped for spare rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opinion polls can be manipulated you know.

Yours does however show the largest vote for any group is tory at 36% as a stand alone party.

I don't - oddly enough since I've shelled out a fortune on them for over 20 years. Do tell me how....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't - oddly enough since I've shelled out a fortune on them for over 20 years. Do tell me how....

The answer you get often depends on the question asked.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he had to live on it he would.
    I see nothing wrong with that statement.
    People are doing it; it's a struggle but they do manage.
    Not all impoverished smoke, drink, gamble and have Sky tv - but many, many do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer you get often depends on the question asked.

OK. I'll bite. When was the last time You Gov changed this particular question?

No need for the month - I'll accept the year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. I'll bite. When was the last time You Gov changed this particular question?

No need for the month - I'll accept the year...

Not sure but most of the polls sem to have been done for the times/the sun.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1w3p3lq3xj/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-VotingTrends-020413.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

???

(asks cautiously) and...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ???

(asks cautiously) and...?

No nothing just an observation in this case.:)
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tory 36%
    Labour 33%
    Lib Dem 10%
    Other 21%

Sorry, I must disagree here. If you take into account the "ex-tories", you will find around the numbers are far higher.

UKIP has stolen a large chunk of OAPS from the tories in the last few months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Sorry, I must disagree here. If you take into account the "ex-tories", you will find around the numbers are far higher.

UKIP has stolen a large chunk of OAPS from the tories in the last few months.

To be fair also UKIP have recruited me from Labour too.:D