watch-phone anyone?

niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apple, Google and Samsung are all said to be launching wearable phones in the next few months, but does anyone think they'll actually buy one?

What's the advantage over a larger phone in your pocket?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Apple, Google and Samsung are all said to be launching wearable phones in the next few months, but does anyone think they'll actually buy one?

I've no idea. And to be honest, I don't care.

I want one. Really, really, want one...............................:D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

You save time taking it out your pocket?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have thought they are going to be accessories that connect to your smartphone to give extra functionality and convenience rather then standalone wearable phones.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I would have thought they are going to be accessories that connect to your smartphone to give extra functionality and convenience rather then standalone wearable phones.
    That's far more likely.

In fact, with the Samsung smartwatch, it's all but confirmed - comments purported to have been made by a Samsung executive in Korea seemingly confirm that it's a companion device.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

This is what I would like, I don't want something that functions as a phone but if it came as a kit say a watch and bluetooth earphones that would be cool. Being able to answer calls by just pressing a button on the watch, seeing the message that has come through, how many missed called, change music track. These would be features I think would be beneficial....but for some reason I have a feeling Samsung is going to be throwing the proverbial kitchen sink in with their Gear offering.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This isn't what I've read about Samsung's Gear. The speculation is it will be a small smart phone that docks into a wrist strap.

Only a few days until we find out!

But will you buy one?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't what I've read about Samsung's Gear. The speculation is it will be a small smart phone that docks into a wrist strap.

Only a few days until we find out!

But will you buy one?

Personally I wouldn't want one if it replaces my smartphone and requires a SIM card/contract.

I would be interested in a decent companion device though.

I just cannot see the manufacturers bringing out devices which may cannibalise their smartphone sales. Surely they would prefer you have both?
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what sites you've been looking at but I'm pretty certain every rumour I've read says the opposite.
    Engadget wrote:
    The mobile VP added that the oft-rumored "wearable concept device" wouldn't come with a flexible display and will be a companion gadget for your smartphone...
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/samsung-exec-confirms-gal-gear-note-iii-ifa/
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they'll have to be something pretty special to take off, for a couple of reasons.

1. If they are companions to phones, then the benefit is marginal, for example, get a notification of a text on your phone, so you can glance at your watch rather than take your phone out of your pocket.

2. I think people wear watches less and less now that their phone is almost as convenient means of checking the time.

So I think they'll have far more niche appeal than smartphones - for example people who are more about having the gadget, than simply having a phone, or sport / health type apps.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think they'll have to be something pretty special to take off, for a couple of reasons.

1. If they are companions to phones, then the benefit is marginal, for example, get a notification of a text on your phone, so you can glance at your watch rather than take your phone out of your pocket.

2. I think people wear watches less and less now that their phone is almost as convenient means of checking the time.

So I think they'll have far more niche appeal than smartphones - for example people who are more about having the gadget, than simply having a phone, or sport / health type apps.

I would find one pretty useful when cycling, when it is quite tricky to look at the phone. Although I often use Siri when cycling for checking the time, making calls etc.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Not sure what sites you've been looking at but I'm pretty certain every rumour I've read says the opposite.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/samsung-exec-confirms-gal-gear-note-iii-ifa/

Try this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10268977/Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-smartwatch-launch-date-revealed.html