Nigel Evans cleared of all charges

sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Breaking:

Former Commons deputy speaker is found not guilty of raping student and sexually assaulting six other men
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/10/nigel-evans-cleared-raping-university-student

"The former Commons deputy speaker Nigel Evans has been cleared of raping a university student and sexually assaulting six other men over a 10-year period.

The Tory MP for the Lancashire seat of Ribble Valley was found not guilty of all nine counts following a five-week trial at Preston crown court, where he was accused of abusing his power to sexually assault young Commons workers between 2003 and March last year.

There were sobs and shouts of "yes" from the public gallery as the verdicts were read."

Comments

• biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that would be the case
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I could see why the jury acquited him, but still think his behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always felt this was a set up, I hope he returns soon as a Deputy Speaker.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the Guardian's coverage.

He may have been acquitted but it's impossible to escape the feeling that his life and career will never be the same. Given that witness after witness appears to have changed their story in court, how the hell this ever got to court in the first place is something the CPS urgently need to explain.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    I could see why the jury acquited him, but still think his behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.

I would agree with this. He's my local MP so I have been following the trial quite a bit and though he has been found innocent of all charges there is no doubt in mind he will be damaged from this.

Not sure there would be enough pressure on him to step aside and give someone else a run at it and it's a pretty safe tory seat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    I thought that would be the case

I think you need to explain this more, are you saying you believe the witnesses rather than the jury?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Specifically, what behaviour?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

Not the same as criminal though is it.

Presumably the reason why they acquitted him was because they thought he was not guilty.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the looks of it the CPS will be under pressure for this one. Most of the witnesses made it clear they didn't consider he did anything illegal or even wrong and one changed his story considerably on the witness stand (and lost all credibility because of it). The CPS have failed to prosecute with a lot more evidence than they had here.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Breaking news

Jimmy Savile still dead
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Not the same as criminal though is it.

Presumably the reason why they acquitted him was because they thought he was not guilty.

There is always the court of public opinion and I think some voters may find some of the details in the case even though they have found to be consensual perhaps a bit distasteful. But that's up to each individual and what they think or feel.

Personally, I think it should be all about his performance in the job and not his personal life. But not everyone will think that way.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see whether he gets accepted back into the Conservatives and whether he gets his old job back, or any other one in the reshuffle after the Conservatives are slaughtered in the EU elections.
    Forum Member
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    There is always the court of public opinion and I think some voters may find some of the details in the case even though they have found to be consensual perhaps a bit distasteful. But that's up to each individual and what they think or feel.

Personally, I think it should be all about his performance in the job and not his personal life. But not everyone will think that way.
    Many people would be embarrassed to have their private life laid out in public. Necessarily.
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see whether he gets accepted back into the Conservatives and whether he gets his old job back, or any other one in the reshuffle after the Conservatives are slaughtered in the EU elections.

I see this is now going to be a party political thread.

That didn't last long.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    I think you need to explain this more, are you saying you believe the witnesses rather than the jury?

No I am saying I thought that he wasn't guilty.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He never left the Conservatives, he just stood down from his position as a Deputy Speaker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    No I am saying I thought that he wasn't guilty.:confused:

My apologies I did not mean to quote you, it was answering the post from apaul, sorry.
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    He never left the Conservatives, he just stood down from his position as a Deputy Speaker.

I believe that he left the conservatives to become deputy speaker. Which I guess is the norm.

He can't get that job back because some one else has it.

He'll get the whip back. But his constituency had not yet decided if he will get the conservative nomination.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the people he was supposed to have assaulted said in Court that he couldn't understand why he was there.

Very odd.
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    One of the people he was supposed to have assaulted said in Court that he couldn't understand why he was there.

Very odd.

The cps have lost their shit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that he left the conservatives to become deputy speaker. Which I guess is the norm.

He'll get the whip back. But his constituency had not yet decided if he will get the conservative nomination.

Would there be any reason where the Conservative Party would not welcome him back or his Constituency not want him to stay as MP, it does not make sense.
    Forum Member
    I see this is now going to be a party political thread.

That didn't last long.

I what way, I'm just asking whether he'll get his job back? DO you think he will be?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cps have lost their shit.

Apparently they prosecuted because those that Evans was alleged to have assaulted did not see themselves as victims but the CPS did. Just who is running the CPS these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Apparently they prosecuted because those that Evans was alleged to have assaulted did not see themselves as victims but the CPS did. Just who is running the CPS these days?

Police Federation probably!
    Forum Member

I think he became an independent MP when he was charged with the offences. Only the Speaker doesn't have an allegiance (as far as I know)