PC, Console or Both

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    The controllers for PC are pretty good now.

I picked up a Razor Orbweaver as I hate using a full keyboard - its brilliant!

I bought a Logitech G13 a couple of years ago.

I bought a fancy laptop at the same time and my keyboards always suffer with the W,A,S & D keys getting worn first and the idea was that I'd use the G13 for gaming to prevent excessive wear on my proper keyboard.

Probably only used it a handful of times since I bought it.

Trouble is, when a game tells you the keyboard layout it all might seem a bit abstract at first but at least you know where the keys are located on the keyboard.
    When you use summat like the G13 you have to recall what key-commands are available, what button activates a command and what button it relates to on the G13.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I use a Dualshock 4, that with the XInput Wrapper makes it work with most games, real easy, can even have some extra options to like chosing the LED colour, or turning it off, or using the touchpad as a mouse.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Just had a look at it - that's a serious bit of kit! Maybe just the job for the upcoming new Elite game :p

Its great especially when you get the WASD keys mapped as YX axis to the thumb stick!

No idea how to program commands or macros to it I just tend to create my profile according to the game, save it to the synapse software and load it when needed.

Does make a difference if you get a little confused with full keyboard usage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I use a Dualshock 4, that with the XInput Wrapper makes it work with most games, real easy, can even have some extra options to like chosing the LED colour, or turning it off, or using the touchpad as a mouse.

For games like TombRaider, GTAIV or Just cause 2 I just tend to use a wireless Xbxox 360 controller.

Although I think the DS4 would be great for GTAIV!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I use my Macbook Pro dual-booted with Windows 7. I've always preferred PC/Mac gaming to console gaming. I guess the good thing with a computer you can use it for other purposes like work/college, internet, music, watching DVDs and whatever else you need or what to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my Macbook Pro dual-booted with Windows 7. I've always preferred PC/Mac gaming to console gaming. I guess the good thing with a computer you can use it for other purposes like work/college, internet, music, watching DVDs and whatever else you need or what to do.

And when work or studying gets boring you can switch to a game for a quick blast ;-)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just PC gaming here, although we do have a Wii as well but my son is the one who plays on that.
    The type of games I prefer (MMOs, RPGs etc) I prefer to play with keyboard/mouse rather than controller.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I've never been a PC gamer its interested me but the expense of buying or building a capable gaming PC has put me off.

It doesn't have to be expensive, that's the beauty of a PC. What someone things is necessary isn't always the case. I have a coming up three years old PC which was towards the top end of "middle of the range" in terms of CPU, graphics and RAM and it's playing the latest gen games without any issues (in the genres I like, not FPS as they don't interest me in the slightest). They may not be on max settings but I've got way past whether something's shiny or not as to whether I enjoy playing it.
    My rig cost about £750 and is easily upgradable if I choose to do so, if not it will last me probably another four or five years before I need to think about replacing it.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I think the biggest factor is the environment in which a person plays games.

Personally, I do have my own little command-module, where I surf the internet, play games and, on occasion, even do a bit of work so, for me, it makes sense to have a PC for doing all that stuff.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think you can get the same level of immersion when you're sitting in your living room, on the sofa, twiddling a controller.
    I have a Wii in the living room which gets used for casual games of tennis, bowling, Mario-kart and Worms when we have friends around but I'd rather go and shut myself away by myself to play summat like COD, Skyrim or F1 2013 so I can concentrate properly.

I'm sure a console could work just as well in that role but, as I said, I like having a machine that can also do work and surf the net too so having a console as well as a PC would be a bit pointless.

Totally agree Si and one of the main reasons why I have a PC and not consoles. I work from home and my computer/laptop is my office.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I get why people like gaming on PC but aside from better graphics and free online what does it really offer
    Better in every aspect of gameplay.
    PC gameplay is a little more challenging.
    PC allows you to communicate with friends much easier - more options.
    PC is faster paced via mouse/keyboard over a consoles controller/joypad.

Many years ago console gamers loved the fact that consoles didn't need upgrades. Then the 360/PS3 introduced upgradable harddrives - low and behold people wanted to upgrade! Hypocrisy at its finest. Consoles are slowly turning into PC's in terms of both hardware and programs.

Everything the console is is because of PC gamers tried&tested.
    Console games are built on PC's.

And lets not go there about the vast interconnectivity the PC has to devices around the home.

Console gamers dislike PC's because they cost at least 2 or 3 times more. People who are not creative, cant stand figuring issues out, can't or don't want to get used to something other than a controller.

PC gamers generally like learning new things, ie how PC or the internet work and how to make them run better, the sense of achievement of building a powerful machine and knowing how hard you've worked for it, being able to upgrade any aspect of it so a newer awesome game runs better. There is none of that on the console, its a simple device like comparing a game of snakes&ladders to building a RC remote control car and playing it and upgrading to better suspension, tyres, replace broken parts - so much more fun and interesting that keeps the brain inquisitive wanting to do more and more which you simply cant do with snakes&ladders.

And the age old argument of "I prefer console because I can lounge back into the sofa" or "I can use my TV with my console". On the PC you can easily do that, and more.

What you pay is what you get.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes its just more convenient to take the easy route of a purpose built games console. I actually do the same with cars. Sure I could maybe build my own more powerful in every way car but I don't.
  • WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »

Many years ago console gamers loved the fact that consoles didn't need upgrades. Then the 360/PS3 introduced upgradable harddrives - low and behold people wanted to upgrade! Hypocrisy at its finest. Consoles are slowly turning into PC's in terms of both hardware and programs.
    People wanting a bigger storage device to keep the games on is hardly upgrading like you would with PC gaming. So not really hypocrisy is it?

'PC is faster paced via mouse/keyboard over a consoles controller/joypad' Depends what's your preference, I much prefer a controller as I find it easier and Titanfall is plenty fast paced for me.

'PC allows you to communicate with friends much easier - more options.' It's just as easy to communicate on the Xbox.

No one is denying PC gaming isn't good. But personally for me I just find console gaming more easier without the hassle.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These posts always go the same way, there is a reason pictures like these are everywhere http://bit.ly/1gDTSEa
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    People wanting a bigger storage device to keep the games on is hardly upgrading like you would with PC gaming. So not really hypocrisy is it?
    Is it or is it not an upgrade?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on your definition, it's certainly not the same thing.

People add SD cards to their phones all the time, but it's not upgrading like Project Aria is.
  • WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not like you're upgrading you're console to make it more powerful, people had to buy a new HDD with digital games and game updates now becoming the thing on console.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And lets not go there about the vast interconnectivity the PC has to devices around the home.

Console gamers dislike PC's because they cost at least 2 or 3 times more. People who are not creative, cant stand figuring issues out, can't or don't want to get used to something other than a controller.

PC gamers generally like learning new things, ie how PC or the internet work and how to make them run better, the sense of achievement of building a powerful machine and knowing how hard you've worked for it, being able to upgrade any aspect of it so a newer awesome game runs better. There is none of that on the console, its a simple device like comparing a game of snakes&ladders to building a RC remote control car and playing it and upgrading to better suspension, tyres, replace broken parts - so much more fun and interesting that keeps the brain inquisitive wanting to do more and more which you simply cant do with snakes&ladders.

And the age old argument of "I prefer console because I can lounge back into the sofa" or "I can use my TV with my console". On the PC you can easily do that, and more.

That's a lot of word to basically say "Console gamers are dumb"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Something and i have no idea what made me remember one of the reason i don't like PC gaming, some of the people can be so elitist and downright insulting to console gamers
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    *Ahem* Mine does.

I recently sold my Dual HD7970s and got a GTX780 TI. It wipes the floor with the X1 and PS4. In 3-4 years time the 780 should still have higher graphical fidelity than the X1 and PS4 as they are based on Mid to just about High PC systems whereas true PC gaming nerds or someone with too much time on their hands will have a super duper all singing giving you a daily BJ full on electronic misses of a PC.

show off ;-) :D
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something and i have no idea what made me remember one of the reason i don't like PC gaming, some of the people can be so elitist and downright insulting to console gamers

A term used both to insult and define people who play only PC Games and hate Consoles(such as Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3). The following traits/beliefs are common among PC Elitists:

1. Graphic Superiority of PCs over Consoles
    2. Infinite Backwards compatibility
    3. Mouse and Keyboard beat out Controllers
    4. Believe that all Games are PC games since you can't program on a Console
    5. Believe in User Generated content for games
    6. Feel that DLC should be Free.
    7. Think Xbox Live is filled with racist twelve year olds.
    8. Know what Steam is and have never bought a game from Gamestop since.
    9. Feel that FPS should never have went to console
    10. Hate Consoles
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That started creeping in when folk began stepping up to PCs over ST and Amigas... however, all fanboyism is elitist so there's plenty of it going around.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both, consoles for exclusives, the PC for everything else. What I have found over the years is that the PC works out cheaper in the long term, the games can be half the price, I'd need a PC anyway so if I didn't game on one I'd still have to buy one and then there's modding that makes games that'll last me 40 odd hours on a console last 100s on the PC. As for drivers and tweaking, Windows updates itself and Steam does my GPU drivers, there really isn't anything else to do.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found when I had a pc that over time it slowed right down. This was despite having a virus killer in it and ad aware software. Maybe I was just doing it all wrong. I think if it was only me that used it, it would be fine, but with my kids and wife on it. They'd inevitably install something or visit a site that got past security and before I knew it is be considering starting all over again to get it running to speed again. Out The wrapper the pc would boot ip in say 15 secs. A few months down the line it would be a minute or so. A year down the line it would be 5 mins. Progs always wanted to add themselves to the boot process and would always have to periodically go into config sys and uncheck them from the boot process.
    I don't have this with our consoles. They just work and other than hdd filling up too close to max it just works.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I always found when I had a pc that over time it slowed right down. This was despite having a virus killer in it and ad aware software. Maybe I was just doing it all wrong. I think if it was only me that used it, it would be fine, but with my kids and wife on it. They'd inevitably install something or visit a site that got past security and before I knew it is be considering starting all over again to get it running to speed again. Out The wrapper the pc would boot ip in say 15 secs. A few months down the line it would be a minute or so. A year down the line it would be 5 mins. Progs always wanted to add themselves to the boot process and would always have to periodically go into config sys and uncheck them from the boot process.
    I don't have this with our consoles. They just work and other than hdd filling up too close to max it just works.

Probably just needed a wipe and a re-install - it happens when loads of crap is being put on there and in a lot of cases is nothing to do with virus/malware issues, and it's not even misuse, really, more like bad practice. Been there, done that...
    As for consoles not slowing up - my original 360 got a hell of a lot slower to boot up and log-in as they kept changing their OS all over the place. Not sure I noticed a massive change on the PS3 over the years but I was a late adopter anyway...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

Thats an easy one mate - a weekly clean using disk clean up and defrag will sort that out. I also user advanced system care something or other which sorts my windows registry out too! Literally a job you can kick off in the background or you can start it up and go out for a an hour. Mine only takes about 20 minutes now as I do it weekly on both machines like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    show off ;-) :D

Checkout my proposed build in the PC Gaming forums - little bit of research and it would be a kick ass pc for under £1100 lol

Although you could buy both the XB1 and PS4 with enough left over maybe for a PS3,360 etc