The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently gotten back in to HOH. It is criminally underrated. It is actually an incredible album, really did deserve more. The thing is, atleast we/she know the real reason it underperformed. (the industry)
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I have recently gotten back in to HOH. It is criminally underrated. It is actually an incredible album, really did deserve more. The thing is, atleast we/she know the real reason it underperformed. (the industry)

I have too, I like Fire and play LIG more. Also ANL sounds amazing when you play it on radio. OMG now I see why it smashed. I've got a uni radio station, and boy....tunnnnnnnnnnnne!!! :D
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I love that dress so much
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Omg perfection

http://Instagram.com/p/WUc0t-Poe7/

More of these dresses please !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    She look great!!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    I have too, I like Fire and play LIG more. Also ANL sounds amazing when you play it on radio. OMG now I see why it smashed. I've got a uni radio station, and boy....tunnnnnnnnnnnne!!! :D

idk why LIG flopped. Such a good song. :(
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    idk why LIG flopped. Such a good song. :(

Because it was too dated and didn't get any radio support.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Because it was too dated and didn't get any radio support.

I don't think it was that dated tbh, because Radioactive by that Ora thing got loads of radio support and I think that the song sounds similar to LIG...
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I don't think it was that dated tbh, because Radioactive by that Ora thing got loads of radio support and I think that the song sounds similar to LIG...

Admittedly it was better than Olly Murs current single, which is being spun to death on radio. If you're not the 'in thing' you might as well not bother. And we've seen first hand this week what she's up against.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Admittedly it was better than Olly Murs current single, which is being spun to death on radio. If you're not the 'in thing' you might as well not bother. And we've seen first hand this week what she's up against.

I think David said it best, the UK industry has a guest-list, and somewhere between Overcome: Deluxe Edition and Heartbreak On Hold, someone took her off it.
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldnt have said it better myself ^

I think it could have something to do with the year and a half gap though!
    Forum Member
    Rob200696 wrote: »
    Couldnt have said it better myself ^

I think it could have something to do with the year and a half gap though!

All I can say is Adele. Time has nothing to do with it. Overcome and 19 here both sold the same on original release. XF or not. Although Alex sold more overall records. 2008-2011 v 2009-2012....see?? RITD is better than any Alex record, but the point still stands. She didn't disappear totally, she was seen in 2011 though (the first half and the latter half), and people know who she is. Mention her name and you shall see. It is something else. Music is one thing, but they simply do not like her at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    All I can say is Adele. Time has nothing to do with it. Overcome and 19 here both sold the same on original release. XF or not. Although Alex sold more overall records. 2008-2011 v 2009-2012....see?? RITD is better than any Alex record, but the point still stands. She didn't disappear totally, she was seen in 2011 though (the first half and the latter half), and people know who she is. Mention her name and you shall see. It is something else. Music is one thing, but they simply do not like her at all.

Adele has nothing to do with this...she's always been in a totally different genre to Alex...she appeals to an older audience like Emeli and Leona, Alex is not in that group....

Jessie, that Ora thing, Cher, Little Mix etc are more direct threats to AB than Adele.

The problem was that she took too long, too many label issues, and as a result ended up with not as good material....but I think she's rectifying that, as she's definitely had a session with Rico and his team this year, and I'm hearing that she may have also reclaimed some other material, plus Show Off as well...

Alex is a commercial artist, not a modern contemporary one, so she needs to keep things going, she can't afford to take long breaks like Adele, Emeli etc, because she relies more on casual buyers. That's just who she is as an artist.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Adele has nothing to do with this...she's always been in a totally different genre to Alex...she appeals to an older audience like Emeli and Leona, Alex is not in that group....

Jessie, that Ora thing, Cher, Little Mix etc are more direct threats to AB than Adele.

The problem was that she took too long, too many label issues, and as a result ended up with not as good material....but I think she's rectifying that, as she's definitely had a session with Rico and his team this year, and I'm hearing that she may have also reclaimed some other material, plus Show Off as well...

Alex is a commercial artist, not a modern contemporary one, so she needs to keep things going, she can't afford to take long breaks like Adele, Emeli etc, because she relies more on casual buyers. That's just who she is as an artist.

That was more to do with single choices than AB herself. She should've been both. Also imo it makes no difference. Everyone knows who she is. It is not her notoriety that is an issue, but radio. Elephant still came in at #3 with no support at all, so it's not an issue. Radio creates casusal buyers. She better go all out musically though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Radio and industry big wigs, "taste makers" decide who is going to be hot that year, that quarter, that month. Alex just isn't there cup of tea anymore.

Unless Alex fights and makes her own buzz in the US ie MIXTAPES, a CONSTANT stream of free music, FEATURES. It's going to be a long road. She can overcome it regardless, she just has to make the right decisions from now on which I'm afraid she hasn't done right from when she produced the first album.

Cheese might sell short term but it damages your brand. Cheesy music isn't the strategy for a long term career, people dont cosign that and she made that mistake unfortunately.

She went wrong in so many places but it's not about the past its about rectifying your now and moving forward.
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R&B isn't selling that well she has to have Pop on it ^ All night long/Bad Boys there cheesy but still brilliant songs :)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I never mentioned she had to do straight rnb. I don't want her to do that further more. Premium pop, rnb/pop with hints of other genres. Anl/bad boys/elephant/between the sheets not start without you
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    I don't think she should be using material that she recorded 2 years ago. It's highly unlikely she can reclaim the vast majority of it because producers will pitch it to different artists and if they were any good, most would've been snapped up by now.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    People on twitter are suggesting Alex do Eurovision this year...:yawn:.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    People on twitter are suggesting Alex do Eurovision this year...:yawn:.

As much as I love Eurovision and she would get immense publicity... I really don't want her doing that.

People would slate her big time, and she won't get any where.

Cascada are doing it though and I love them. :3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she did it we probs wouldn't do very well and then she'd have ruined her career even more so... would be a very bad idea. Plus it's completely cheesy and shit.
    Forum Member
    At the moment I feel like she's a new and upcoming artist again and the only way I can see her gaining a bit of momentum again is by featuring on a credible/established artist's single. Everything just seems to be moving far too slowly for Alex lately, we're approaching April now. If we don't have a single by May/June then I think that they're panning this release out till September/ early October.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Arun it's jist the 2nd of march, nowhere near April :p
    Forum Member
    Arun it's jist the 2nd of march, nowhere near April :p

loooooooooool it's going to go quick :p
    Forum Member
    *Liya* wrote: »
    I don't think she should be using material that she recorded 2 years ago. It's highly unlikely she can reclaim the vast majority of it because producers will pitch it to different artists and if they were any good, most would've been snapped up by now.

True. Although Anl Is still a bop, and sounds so fresh on radio, I played it this week. Now I SEE why radio hammered it. It sounded sooo good. It depends on the sound. Countdown is two years old but sounds like fire.
This discussion has been closed.