Options

What train ticket websites don't charge a booking fee?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
I usually don't bother booking train tickets online as I want flexibility for when I can use the return ticket so I just buy on the day at the station. But today I was just looking to get a single in a advance and i've seen that The Train Line charge a booking fee. I know on National Rail you having the option of going on to book a ticket through lots of different train companies - does anyone use one of these which doesn't charge a booking fee? Its only £1 on The Train Line so not a huge problem if the other companies charge as well but every penny counts!

Comments

• Options
    Chase3Chase3 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    The £10 refund charge is a ****ING JOKE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin trains, national express, first, in fact most of the actual train company sites don't. Plus you get the same deals as you get on national rail if you book far enough in advance.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They never used to charge a booking fee...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much - ticket booked. I even used that extra £1 I saved to push the boat out and buy a slightly earlier ticket!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    They never used to charge a booking fee...

I think you also have to pay a fee now if you want to pay by Visa or Mastercard now too - it's all adding up!

I always book my long-distance tickets to the Midlands on the National Express website directly now as there are no extra charges like that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I think you also have to pay a fee now if you want to pay by Visa or Mastercard now too - it's all adding up!

I always book my long-distance tickets to the Midlands on the National Express website directly now as there are no extra charges like that :)

Thats true. I went through to the booking page before deciding to ask on here and its an extra £2.50 if you aren't using a debit card. Plus they give you the option of travel insurance for another pound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I use the trainline.com website to book my tickets. I don't think they charge a fee.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    take a look at nationalrail.co.uk. Lets you do all the timetable lookup and fares check then right at the end when it comes to purchase you can choose from around a dozen sites to buy your tickets.

It currently states:"Please Note:
    Raileasy and The Trainline will charge a fee for
    your booking."

As you'll already have the 'official' fare you'll be able to see if any extras are added.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think National Express are quite good or online tickets. They have never let me down and no booking fee. :) They have also got a ticket price filter so you can find the cheapest ticket. Always on the lookout for the £5.50 ones :D