Options

Recording Speaker Playback/Sound

I am trying to record the audio played on my computer (using CamStudio/screen recorder), however I can't get it to work.

I have gone into the Windows 7 sound settings, and enabled the "Rec. Playback" option AND set it as default communication device to see if that helped, which it didn't. I've tried disabling in the other microphone option too, but again this doesn't help.
The driver is IDT High Definition Audio.

While playing sound through the speakers the green volume bar thingy (to the right of the Speakers/Headphones option in the Playback tab) shows it's picking up sound, as you can see in this screenshot:
http://i53.tinypic.com/m7b912.jpg

But, back in the Recording tab, while playing sound through the speakers, the bar doesn't show any noise being picked up at all (unlike the Microphone array above it, which is obviously just picking up sounds through the mic):
http://i51.tinypic.com/11v7dae.jpg

In CamStudio, when I change the options to "Record audio from microphone" I get the error "WaveoutGetSelectControl() Failed". I'm sure this must be to do with whatever is wrong with the device and not the software itself as I cannot record from the speakers using any other programs either.

Hoping that someone will know how to fix this as it's really frustrating and I've tried everything I can think of! Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Have you GOT a microphone attached? If not, then recording from mic will hardly work. I would check line-in instead.

Not familiar with your software, but on Goldwave when I want to record sound (like from a DVD playing) I set it to record from line-in. Microphone is likely failing as it's not finding one attached/activated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a built in microphone which works, and I can record from this. But, I want to be able to record the sound I hear through my speakers (anything playing on the computer).

On my old XP laptop, this option was called Stereo Mix, and I could record that fine. On this new laptop that option isn't there. Apparently 'Rec. Playback' is the same thing, but it does nothing and I just record silence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe it, but somehow I've got it to work! I've tried so many times, and no idea what I did differently this time, but it works :D Thanks for looking anyway!