Options

Laser Eye Surgery

sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thinkng of getting this done, but worried about side-effects.

Anyone had it done and can recommend good organisations that do it? Have there been any side effects?

Comments

• Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm (hopefully) getting it done this Friday, so I will post the results soon afterwards. But from what I've heard it's really safe now.
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool! Do let me know how it goes :)
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine done in October with Optical Express. I was a bit worried as I had read an article about laser surgery being carried out on the high street, but I went ahead.

I've problems with dry eyes for a while, which took longer to sort themselves out than normal (despite the fact I was warned about this, I did start to panic a bit), but I can't fault either the surgeon or the after care. My eyes are almost stable now.

A friend of mine paid much more to have hers done on Harley Street a couple of years ago and had the same problems. It took 6 months for hers to settle, but she is fine now.

I would say have it done, and don't get too upset if your sight fluctuates for a while. There is an excellent success rate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Had mine done 6-7 years ago - still fine. Did mean I need reading glasses though when I didn't before - sort of turned my sight around - where I was short sighted I am now a bit long sighted I suppose. I had PRK (don't think they do that much these days) where they don't cut a flap it does take a lot longer to recover. You can expect a bit of light sensitivity but that soon goes.
    Id definitely recommend having it done.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hid mene dune lasst weeeek.

Nu prolams wit mi sigte nooooow :D
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markg1 wrote: »
    hid mene dune lasst weeeek.

Nu prolams wit mi sigte nooooow :D

Pardon?

I watched them do this to somebody on TV. Rather expensive considering it was a 10minute "operation". The surgeon cut a bit off the top of their eye them blasted it with a laser that shot in bursts. Then replaced the flap of "eye". Repeated on other eye.

I think i'll stick to glasses - Much cheaper than £700.
  • Options
    Jontom64Jontom64 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my eyes lasered 18 months ago with Optical Express. The whole process was well organised and the procedure was pain free. I also suffered a bit of dry eye for a while, but that soon cleared. It is well worth the money. With the surgery done I no longer have to buy glasses, in the long term another financial saving.
  • Options
    GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My housemate had laser surgery last year, again with Optical Express. She used to work for them so got a massive discount. Apart from a bit of dryness and her eyes being slightly red afterwards she's had no problems :) Her eyesight now is perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I think i'll stick to glasses - Much cheaper than £700.

Yes, but I don't have to buy glasses ever again, so I've saved money. My Varifocals were costing £270 each time, plus I had contact lenses. Doesn't take many years to recover my costs.

I've paid £1600 and that's it, if not for life, for a very long time. (The price goes up depending on your prescription).

I was told that I may need reading glasses as the the laser surgery had corrected my distance vision, but my reading is better than it was before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had mine done in September 2002...before I had it done I was so short-sighted I was only 0.5 points of being registered blind due to a very severe stigmatism

I had it done at Visulase in Bolton...it did cost nearly 2000 pounds back then but it was the best money I've ever spent!!

No pain, no yucky after effects...all I had to do was wear plastic eye protectors for bed for a few nights just so I didn't rub them as they healed......I now have pretty much 20/20 vision...I'd definitely recommend it.

Do shop around though, most eye clinics will do a free consultation, to answer all your questions and ease any worries.

Ali xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alilinzee wrote: »
    I had it done at Visulase in Bolton...it did cost nearly 2000 pounds back then but it was the best money I've ever spent!!

From what I've read this is going to cost me more than £2000! I'm getting it done at Optimax, going for the Intralase LASIK as it seems a safer option, cost £1195 per eye.
  • Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    sHaK wrote: »
    Thinkng of getting this done, but worried about side-effects.

Anyone had it done and can recommend good organisations that do it? Have there been any side effects?

Don't have it done.

My brother works for an eye hospital and they advise not to have it done.

1) You weaken your eyes
    2) If you previously needed glasses for reading and others for distance then you'll still need glasses for one of these instances.
    3) As you grow old your eyesight will still alter, so won't last that long.
    4) High possibility of cornea problems and needing them replaced.
    5) There are other issues I forget now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helbrown wrote: »
    Yes, but I don't have to buy glasses ever again, so I've saved money. My Varifocals were costing £270 each time, plus I had contact lenses. Doesn't take many years to recover my costs.

Except you forgot ageing of your eyes which will mean your eyesight will change, plus you're likely to have more eye problems due to them being thinner and work being done on them.
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    I've considered it in the past but i'm quite happy now just sticking to glass/contact lenses.

I think the bit where they clamp your eyelids back so you can't physically blink while they laser you put me off...
  • Options
    ellie4265ellie4265 Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had mine done about 14 years ago and my vision has been perfect since. Of course they will still 'age' normally, but I've enjoyed all those years of not having to bother with glasses or contact lenses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteUK wrote: »
    I've considered it in the past but i'm quite happy now just sticking to glass/contact lenses.

I think the bit where they clamp your eyelids back so you can't physically blink while they laser you put me off...

You been watching A Clockwork Orange?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am seriously tempted to go for it, as I can't really wear lenses much any more (after years of wearing them, my eyes have become intolerant). Terribly shortsighted without them, so there would have to be a pretty big downside for it not to be worth a try.
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    You been watching A Clockwork Orange?
    Actually i've never seen it.

Do you recommend? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They sort of do that. The weirdest think is the vacuum sort of effect. You lose all sight at all for a couple of seconds, but they do explain what they are doing and what you will feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually i've never seen it.

Do you recommend? :D

Yes, it's an excellent film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine done around 4 years ago now.. and i've never regretted it (apart from straight after, feeling that I had grit in my eye - annoying!), I had really bad eyesight before, so i'm really thankful that I don't have to wear glasses anymore!!
  • Options
    sootygirlsootygirl Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »
    They sort of do that. The weirdest think is the vacuum sort of effect. You lose all sight at all for a couple of seconds, but they do explain what they are doing and what you will feel.

Cool, I never knew that happened to everyone. They didnt explain to me that would happen and when it did I completly paniced! Like really really scared!!

Saying that tho, its over in ten mins and afterwards, perfectvision, soooo worth it!

PS look up all the other threads on laser eye surgery, im bored of posting how fab it is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I'm (hopefully) getting it done this Friday, so I will post the results soon afterwards. But from what I've heard it's really safe now.

Ok i had the surgery done on Friday there like I said I would, best thing I've done in my life! Feels so good not having glasses on any more, it's taking a bit of getting used too.

As for the surgery itself, was pain free. Parts of it were rather uncomfortable but in the long run it was worth it. After surgery I didn't feel any pain, apart from my eyes were sensitive to light and it felt like I had grit in them for a few hours.

So far the only sides affects I've got is I get a "halo" effect off lights, but that's suppose to go away over time. I'm also a bit long sighted right now, but that's suppose to go away after 48 hours.

I would highly recommend the procedure to anyone. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have it done.

1) You weaken your eyes
    2) If you previously needed glasses for reading and others for distance then you'll still need glasses for one of these instances.

I read only the older, and more painful, method of laser eye treatment was long-lasting. While the newer, pain free, method is not effective in the long run.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't have it done.

1) You weaken your eyes

Yes I agree with that.
    I considered having it done at one time but after going into all the pros and cons - including a lot of research on the Internet - I decided against it.

It doesn't last that long.
    If you have it done for short sight you will STILL need reading glasses when you get a bit older.
    And there are other side effects too.

As it would only be a short term solution really I decided I would stick with contact lenses which I find are absolutely wonderful