Great British Menu 2012

1858687888991»

Comments

• Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I'd like to see them cooking from a fixed set of ingredients. It would be a real challenge, I think, for them to all have to cook a starter, fish course, main and pudding competing directly with the same ingredients.

Ie for the starter they could have to cook something using base ingredients of tomatoes, bacon and perhaps basil or a cheese and then it's up to the chefs what else they add, up to a maximum of five different ingredients (but not including seasoning, spices etc) and how they use them.
    So chef A could choose to make a tomato and basil soup with a bacon and cheese topped crustini crouton type thing.
    Chef B might make a canelloni stuffed with bacon, tomato and basil and covered in an olive oil dressing.

Same thing for the other courses. Similar to what I've seen them doing on one of the other cookery programmes which had top chefs competing against each other.
    The ingredients could be local to each region so that you'd have a bit of variety by the time it hit the finals week.

What a great idea
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigiPal wrote: »
    What a great idea

Too similar to Masterchef invention test
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    Ready Steady Cook was doing it years back when the chefs got the same bag of ingredients.
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing a newspaper article somewhere that indicated this would be the final series of GBM. Has anyone else heard of this or can verify?

This article about Colin McGurran mentions that he intends to enter next year.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Olympic-starter-winner-chef/story-16376768-detail/story.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »

Which I do like as a regular feature... esp in Aus MC which runs for many eps so the competitors get a lot of chances...
    The US have a cook show (soz name escapes me :o) where they throw in a totally random ingredient :eek: and all the ingredients HAVE to be used which really challenges them :D The one I saw had butterscotch sweets as part of the ingredient selection for the start or main... :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which I do like as a regular feature... esp in Aus MC which runs for many eps so the competitors get a lot of chances...
    The US have a cook show (soz name escapes me :o) where they throw in a totally random ingredient :eek: and all the ingredients HAVE to be used which really challenges them :D The one I saw had butterscotch sweets as part of the ingredient selection for the start or main... :p

Chopped.

They had an all British episode once where Tristan Welch got binned in the first round
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    The problem I see with the no-brief brief is that is difficult to link with a distinctive dinner, which begs the question of what comes first, the brief or the dinner?. Does the BBC first think of the dinner/s and then make up a brief that is suitable for the occasion, or is it the way around?

Maybe instead of thinking of a new brief we should think of a new dinner and a new theme? both things together.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    The problem I see with the no-brief brief is that is difficult to link with a distinctive dinner, which begs the question of what comes first, the brief or the dinner?. Does the BBC first think of the dinner/s and then make up a brief that is suitable for the occasion, or is it the way around?

Maybe instead of thinking of a new brief we should think of a new dinner and a new theme? both things together.

A 4 course meal for the fine participants of this thread, with smears, spehrification (sp :eek::o ) and foams banned :D
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe next year they should challenge the chefs to create a low calorie menu to celebrate 50 years of Weight Watchers.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Sunday Times Culture Magazine, page 61, there are some very interesting readers opinions in the You Say section. They are agreeing with more or less what the majority of us have said on this forum. Unfortunately, you have to subscribe to get it on line, and as I have no subscription I can't paste the link. Don't know if anyone else can.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed Johnnie Mountain is on the Ruby Wax programme this evening on C4 discussing depression.

http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs/satellite-dishes/2012/07/chef-johnnie-mountain-bares-his-soul-to-ruby-wax.html
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member
    I noticed Johnnie Mountain is on the Ruby Wax programme this evening on C4 discussing depression.

http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs/satellite-dishes/2012/07/chef-johnnie-mountain-bares-his-soul-to-ruby-wax.html

Oh damn I missed it.:rolleyes: