More reasons not to buy the Xbox 720 (& some reasons to)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    A lot of these rumours are just silly.
    I can't see MS enforcing anything like Kinect always on or games being online only.
    They aren't going to do anything which instantly excludes a large part if their customer base.

If Kinect is included with the machine it'll be optional to use it.

I agree with you about the internet connection constantly required. Surely there are many people who live in buildings where a fast enough internet connection is not available and also who live in areas where it is not available as well.

I do not have access to fibre optics at my house for example as the cables just aren't there in my area. 3MB/s is about as fast as I can get and the UK is lagging far behind it's European neighbours and others when it comes to internet speeds. This could cause problems for many, so I don't see microsoft requiring this. I think we are a generation too early when it comes to this point.

In regards to Kinect, I also agree with you. I can't see a new COD title requiring all gamers to wave their arms around to re-load etc. There will be an option here, I'm sure of it.

Personally I can't currently see the benefit of the motion sensor system for most games. It's a bit of fun for parties where you get the sports games out. But for COD or GTA for example, I just can't see how it would enhance the experience.

I do see a great use for it in the operation of the console if you are just going to watch film, play music, or browse the net. But the technology would have to get to Minority Report (Steven Spielberg film, 2002) levels for me to want to use it all the time. It would have to literally sense each finger and have a greatly improved voice recognition technology. I don't want to be shouting my comands and waving my hands around like an idiot. Nor do I want to be wearing gloves like in the mentioned film to operate it! :)

I think there is a long, long, long way to go for this technology to improve what we already have, which is the trusty game controller and a remote control.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to the state of the economy and consumer sensitivity to pricing, Microsoft might be planning a new business model, looking to the mobile phone market for inspiration.

What if they allowed you to buy an Xbox720 for a bargain price, say £99.

The compromise, is that you are tied into a 5 year Xbox Live contract, you always have to be connected to receive advertising on your dashboard, and you have to have brand new games. No borrowing, no 2nd hand, therefore ensuring that Microsoft get their money back

Possible?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the PS4 rumored to be £300 I can't see MS making the mistake of pricing people out. MS have made some bad decisions over the years but that would top all of them.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the state of the economy and consumer sensitivity to pricing, Microsoft might be planning a new business model, looking to the mobile phone market for inspiration.

What if they allowed you to buy an Xbox720 for a bargain price, say £99.

The compromise, is that you are tied into a 5 year Xbox Live contract, you always have to be connected to receive advertising on your dashboard, and you have to have brand new games. No borrowing, no 2nd hand, therefore ensuring that Microsoft get their money back

Possible?
    They have experimented with a similar business model last year in the states not too sure how it worked exactly but I think it could be a good thing.
    To appeal to a wider audience then the price structure of gaming may need rethinking. A lot of people don't want to pay £300 at once on a console that just plays games and £40 per game.
    I personally think if the next Xbox finishes third place again then it will be Microsoft's last console. Microsoft are a business and they want to earn money and the Xbox brand hasn't earned them much so far other then a loyal following.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Sony that hadn't made much money with the PS3 and that the 360 was doing well for MS.

My interest in the next Xbox has all but disappeared, to much talk of kinect for my liking, rumours can be damaging so they need to clarify soon.

If MS finish 3rd next gen they only have themselves to blame, they could finish first if they get it right.
  • eyesw/outafaceeyesw/outaface Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Will I be able to play my 360 games on the next gen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm becoming to doubt backwards compatabilty next gen, just get a feeling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I'm becoming to doubt backwards compatabilty next gen, just get a feeling.

Backwards compatibility isn't a deal breaker for me for physical disc games because I've hardly ever done it in previous generations but I really hope xbla games are back compatible and our purchases carry over because
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Sony that hadn't made much money with the PS3 and that the 360 was doing well for MS.

My interest in the next Xbox has all but disappeared, to much talk of kinect for my liking, rumours can be damaging so they need to clarify soon.

If MS finish 3rd next gen they only have themselves to blame, they could finish first if they get it right.

I'm actually looking forward to see what MS have to offer now. I've seen Sony's attempt at wowing the public and failing, Microsoft is up next.

Just hope they've put more thought into the games, some brand new stuff, not like sony's next gen re-hashes. If MS show Forza, Halo and Gears then I'm slitting my wrists.

Kinect 2 needs to impress as well, it's going to be a big part of the next Xbox so I hope they're going to be showing some good stuff.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a gaming dinosaur - Basically i dont want to have it connected to the internet, i dont want to have to get up of my sofa and move about, I dont want to have interaction with any type of social media, but i do want to be able to play my old games, i do want to be able to swap games with friends or sell them on to help fund future games, i do want less loading time, i do want to be able to just pick up from where i left off

Really hope im wrong but i think this next gen may be my last games console :mad:
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops, wrong thread - deleted
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I personally think if the next Xbox finishes third place again then it will be Microsoft's last console.

Has the 360 fallen behind the PS3 now? I know Sony are slightly ahead in Europe, but surely the 360 is still ahead in the USA?
    Either way there can't be much in it - MS still have a good slice of the sales, and with about 50 million sold the 360 is far from being a flop.

This post corrected.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Has the 360 fallen behind the PS3 now? I know Sony are slightly ahead in Europe, but surely the PS3 is still ahead in the USA?
    Either way there can't be much in it - MS still have a good slice of the sales, and with about 50 million sold the 360 is far from being a flop.

The PS3 is in the lead in Europe, and the 360 is in the lead in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    The PS3 is in the lead in Europe, and the 360 is in the lead in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6

Sorry Matt, I meant to say 'surely the 360 is still ahead in the USA'.

I have corrected my error.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft are a business and they want to earn money and the Xbox brand hasn't earned them much so far other then a loyal following.

I know, I dont know how they manage to stay afloat. :rolleyes:
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I dont know how they manage to stay afloat. :rolleyes:

They must be making a profit by now surely? :eek:
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    They must be making a profit by now surely? :eek:

Of course they are, I cant imagine Bill Gates saying well we lost $3 billion on the 360, so lets go ahead and make the 720.
    Also PS3 have slightly outsold the 360 worldwide, but the fact that xbox live is mandatory to play online with the 360 would easily bring the figures level. Both companies have made serious money from the consoles, that is why we are seeing the next gen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they are, I cant imagine Bill Gates saying well we lost $3 billion on the 360, so lets go ahead and make the 720.
    Also PS3 have slightly outsold the 360 worldwide, but the fact that xbox live is mandatory to play online with the 360 would easily bring the figures level. Both companies have made serious money from the consoles, that is why we are seeing the next gen.

Yep! I thought it was a strange statement ... They'll be making a fortune off subscriptions, advertising & xbla titles alone ... Nevermind the hardware itself. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! I thought it was a strange statement ... They'll be making a fortune off subscriptions, advertising & xbla titles alone ... Nevermind the hardware itself. :)

The entertainment division which Xbox sits in made $364 million in the last financial year while Microsoft as a whole made nearly $17 billion, xbox is such a small percentage of there business. over the Xbox lifetime the division is down $5.5 billion. The longer the generation goes on for the more money they make but seen as the next starts again soon they will be back to selling consoles at a loss again for the next 3 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entertainment division which Xbox sits in made $364 million in the last financial year while Microsoft as a whole made nearly $17 billion, xbox is such a small percentage of there business. over the Xbox lifetime the division is down $5.5 billion. The longer the generation goes on for the more money they make but seen as the next starts again soon they will be back to selling consoles at a loss again for the next 3 years.

Well that's interesting reading :cool: ... didn't most of the xbox divisions **lifetime loss** occur during the original systems run? ... I remember people saying any other company (except microsoft) would have went under. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's interesting reading :cool: ... didn't most of the xbox divisions **lifetime loss** occur during the original systems run? ... I remember people saying any other company (except microsoft) would have went under. :eek:

The original Xbox did account for a lot of there loses but remember Xbox put aside a billion just for rrod extended warranty on the 360. Microsoft's plan is like they had 15 years ago to have a pc in every home which they have pretty much achieved they now want a Xbox in pretty much every living room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Xbox did account for a lot of there loses but remember Xbox put aside a billion just for rrod extended warranty on the 360. Microsoft's plan is like they had 15 years ago to have a pc in every home which they have pretty much achieved they now want a Xbox in pretty much every living room.

How could I forget about the RRoD :eek: (I'm not thinking straight today /facepalm) :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they gave Kinect a $500m marketing budget. That is around $7 per console sold and I think from memory Kinect is around 20m sold so that's $25 per Kinect sold!

That assumes they used up all their budget, mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I'm not a massive fan of kinect couldn't care less if was here or not. The biggest thing for me buying next gen will always be games.