Options

Oyster Card Travel Query

mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
Forum Member
Morning

I am travelling out of London at the end of the week. I know my Oyster Card will take me to Croydon but then need to continue the journey through to Brighton so will obviously buy a ticket (probably from Trainline.com) for the 2nd part of my journey.

I have to change trains at Farringdon but I stay on the same platform to get the Brighton train so I wondered how I "sign out" from my Oyster card journey at Croydon to complete my journey on the card. I don't want to have to get off the train and leave the station to come back using the travel card so can anybody tell me know I sort this.

Likewise the return journey I need to activate the Oyster card from Croydon but will be on the train.

Help!!!

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not easier to just buy a ticket for your entire journey?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Morning

I am travelling out of London at the end of the week. I know my Oyster Card will take me to Croydon but then need to continue the journey through to Brighton so will obviously buy a ticket (probably from Trainline.com) for the 2nd part of my journey.

I have to change trains at Farringdon but I stay on the same platform to get the Brighton train so I wondered how I "sign out" from my Oyster card journey at Croydon to complete my journey on the card. I don't want to have to get off the train and leave the station to come back using the travel card so can anybody tell me know I sort this.

Likewise the return journey I need to activate the Oyster card from Croydon but will be on the train.

Help!!!

Thank you.

I don't think you can. You'll have to buy a ticket for your entire journey to Brighton from the London terminus where you pick it up.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Is it not easier to just buy a ticket for your entire journey?

No - not really considering I have credit on my Oyster card and it will cost me more than £30 to buy a ticket for the whole journey and only £7.50 to buy a ticket from Croydon onwards but thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your Oyster is PAYG then unfortunately you will need to get off the train to touch out.

If you have a travel card on it, then you can just stay on the train and you don't need to touch.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be multiple trains per hour from Croydon to Brighton why not just use your Oyster card as far as Croydon.

It might be just as easy to get off the train, touch out and grab a cup of coffee, then just catch the next Brighton train?

Whenever I go to Brighton I usually have to make at least two changes, including East Croydon.

If you fail to touch out you may get charged the maximum fare (about £8).
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would assume if you didn't want to get off to ping out, you could just go to TFL and explain the situation, and they would reimburse the extra charges incurred through not pinging out? You'd have your train ticket for the other part of the journey to prove you weren't doing anything dodgy. I know they did it for my dad recently when he pinged, the barriers opened but it didn't register on his card. He didn't even chase it with them, they'd noticd an unusual amount had gone off his Oyster card and phoned to check with him.

You could always just buy a daily train ticket/travel card to cover you to Croydon, then you won't have to worry about pinging in and out. Where will your journey start?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If that is your plan, then I would just alight at Croydon, and touch out. The trains between Croydon and Brighton run very frequently (direct and stoppers, but the direct trains are v frequent)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Morning

Help!!!

Thank you.

I assume you are travelling on oyster card pay as you go - and don't have a travelcard/season ticket.

In that case it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy a separate through ticket from your home station to Brighton than split the trip in half. If you travel on first capital connect via Farringdon you can often get quite cheap return deals to Brighton via their own site or trainline.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - not really considering I have credit on my Oyster card and it will cost me more than £30 to buy a ticket for the whole journey and only £7.50 to buy a ticket from Croydon onwards but thanks for the suggestion.

Just seems like a lot of hassle to me.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I assume you are travelling on oyster card pay as you go - and don't have a travelcard/season ticket.

In that case it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy a separate through ticket from your home station to Brighton than split the trip in half. If you travel on first capital connect via Farringdon you can often get quite cheap return deals to Brighton via their own site or trainline.

Looking up fares on nationalrail.co.uk it's £13.80 from Croydon to Brighton and £15.90 from London Bridge to Brighton, which looks like the price from London is better value if that's where you're starting from anyway?
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The £7.50 fare you mention appears to be with Southern, whereas your train from Farringdon will be FCC, so you'll have to get off at Croydon and change anyway (or stay on the FCC with an invalid ticket).
  • Options
    GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you use our Oyster to get to victoria then go national rail from there? If you buy via Southern you can get day returns for about £8, open returns for about £11 and if you know the exact trains you will gt you can often get advance tickets for £3-4 each way.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning

Help!!!

Thank you.
    this is the best site I know and you can post a question and should get a answer back quickly

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/mixing-oyster-and-paper-tickets/
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chances are that there will be a pink oyster reader on the platform at croydon which is designed for this purpose - (still need to get off train to reaach it though)
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are supposed to automatically refund this now
    I used to spend a while in queues getting this refund .

nanscombe wrote: »
    If you fail to touch out you may get charged the maximum fare (about £8).
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is without knowing where someone actually got off (or not in this case) how would they know how much to refund?
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    the chances are that there will be a pink oyster reader on the platform at croydon which is designed for this purpose - (still need to get off train to reaach it though)

I don't think there's any pink readers at East Croydon