Options

News at Ten taking break for a Barclays ad

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
I couldn't help noticing News at Ten going to an ad break every night now and it's always just for one advert, and it's always a Barclays advert. What is the point in that, if anything it's off putting. Why interrupt a programme just for one advert and isn't it a bit bad promoting the same company in that slot?

Comments

• Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally prefer the ITV News at 10
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

Well I'm not referring to the BBC am I considering I'm talking about an ad break.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Well I'm not referring to the BBC am I considering I'm talking about an ad break.

I knew u didnt mean the bbc
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

Thanks for sharing, we can all sleep soundly tonight then.

Back on topic, be thankful we are not in the US as the news programmes break for ads every story it seems.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I couldn't help noticing News at Ten going to an ad break every night now and it's always just for one advert, and it's always a Barclays advert. What is the point in that, if anything it's off putting. Why interrupt a programme just for one advert and isn't it a bit bad promoting the same company in that slot?
    What would it matter what company it was for if it was a legal advert. Surely it's just that Barclays are paying more for that slot than anyone else.

Maybe part of the deal would be that it would be the only advert so the company has to bid more to get the slot.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member

ITV has missed a trick, surely a 'competition' would be better? :p

Win £30 in food bank vouchers hand delivered by Andi Peters

What is the capital city of England?

A: London
    B: Cat food
    C: 1984

Call 090******** - calls charged at £14.50 per minute and last no longer than 2 minutes, lines close at 11pm, please do not try to enter if you are watching this on ITV+1 or catch-up.
    full terms & conditions at itv.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed this too.

Was thinking Is it just to get around being sponsored?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happens when there is a story critical of Barclays on the programme (as indeed there has been in the past with PPI). Does the advert get dropped ?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One single commercial is as bad as sponsorship, so if that's the reason it's being done...

Because one advertiser means the programme is dependent on that single advertiser and their money. It's just human nature to let that influence you, whether you wish it to or not.

If there was a legal problem I imagine ITV would just get the law changed anyway, like all bigger companies nowadays it seems.
  • Options
    1066simon1066simon Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Do we now call it 'Barclays News at Ten'?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    So what happens when there is a story critical of Barclays on the programme (as indeed there has been in the past with PPI). Does the advert get dropped ?

No.
    Tassium wrote: »
    One single commercial is as bad as sponsorship, so if that's the reason it's being done...

Because one advertiser means the programme is dependent on that single advertiser and their money. It's just human nature to let that influence you, whether you wish it to or not.

If there was a legal problem I imagine ITV would just get the law changed anyway, like all bigger companies nowadays it seems.

The programme isn't dependent on that single advertiser. ITV News is made by ITN.
    ITN does not sell the advertising around its news bulletins, and gets no direct revenue from that advertising.

Barclays buying solus spots in News at Ten for a week is no different to what Gold Blend did 20 years ago. It doesn't affect the editorial direction of the news programmes. Programme editors don't even know which adverts will be shown during their programmes.

Compare that situation to the US, where network news programmes are effectively bankrolled by "Big Pharma".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is there is no sponsorship of news programmes on commercial television in the UK and advertisers should have no contact with the programme makers.If they do it is obviously a matter for OFCOM (although I appreciate that's not saying very much). ITV News has sadly been in decline in terms of quality for a number of years now which is why the majority of viewers prefer the BBC.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

A problem in the past (well, possibly still today for all I know) for newspapers that have resisted publishing critical stories about some of the bigger advertisers, or have seriously downplayed the story.

While Ofcom is pretty poor at doing much, I suspect TV is more likely to not suffer quite the same problems as the printed press.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    My understanding is there is no sponsorship of news programmes on commercial television in the UK and advertisers should have no contact with the programme makers.If they do it is obviously a matter for OFCOM (although I appreciate that's not saying very much). ITV News has sadly been in decline in terms of quality for a number of years now which is why the majority of viewers prefer the BBC.

Quite simply the advertising sales team will have sold the ad break to the highest bidder. If Barclays hadn't bought the slot it would have been sold to one or more other advertisers.

This is the first time I've seen a call for MORE advertising on ITV!
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Compare that situation to the US, where network news programmes are effectively bankrolled by "Big Pharma".

Exactly, you will see this in action if you watch NBC Nightly News which is shown live on CNBC every weeknight at 11.30pm and see how many times they go to an ad break within the 30 minute slot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, you will see this in action if you watch NBC Nightly News which is shown live on CNBC every weeknight at 11.30pm and see how many times they go to an ad break within the 30 minute slot

Why does CNBC always cut off Nightly News before it has finished ?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    1066simon wrote: »
    Do we now call it 'Barclays News at Ten'?

Or they'll do what they do in America and cut to a wide shot off the studio and go 'And now on the Barclays cam, which is sponsored by Barclays, you can see both of us at once..'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they'll do what they do in America and cut to a wide shot off the studio and go 'And now on the Barclays cam, which is sponsored by Barclays, you can see both of us at once..'

American network news shows are not sponsored although they do carry far longer advertising breaks than NAT.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, we can all sleep soundly tonight then.

Back on topic, be thankful we are not in the US as the news programmes break for ads every story it seems.

When I was in Jamaica a few years ago I was shocked to see that the news its self is sponsored and by different companies on different nights, and every section of the news from business through sport to weather is also sponsored.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does CNBC always cut off Nightly News before it has finished ?

Not sure, I guess its some automation thing. Sometimes you get a split second of an American advert going into the break when they havent cleanly opted out in time
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in Jamaica a few years ago I was shocked to see that the news its self is sponsored and by different companies on different nights, and every section of the news from business through sport to weather is also sponsored.

That happens here too though, certainly on the STV news.

The weather and sports segments are both sponsored. I doubt the UK will ever go down the route of sponsorship of the full bulletin by the front door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Ch4 news is/was like this for a long time - it was always the "run the numbers" ad for Dubai that ran as the sole advert in a fairly short break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    As I don't watch News at 10, i couldn't have told you who was, or wasn't, advertising during it... however it seems that Barclays have got great value from their advertising, as it has become a talking point beyond the advert itself. Without spending a penny on advertising to me, I now know that they advertise on ITV during the news.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I don't watch News at 10, i couldn't have told you who was, or wasn't, advertising during it... however it seems that Barclays have got great value from their advertising, as it has become a talking point beyond the advert itself. Without spending a penny on advertising to me, I now know that they advertise on ITV during the news.
    I dont know if the fact you advertise on ITV is help or a hindrance to any company, not sure I would look more favorably on a company because they advertise on ITV.
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ive been watching CNN this week to watch the protest in Ferguson, the amount of breaks to a commercial seems like every 5 minutes, frustating to watch.