Options

I want to buy a digital camera for my mum, help!

My mum has had the same old camera since I was like 11, I think its time she got a digital one! She knows how to use one because she has used mine and my brothers a few times.

I want to get her a compact camera that will take decent pictures easily. I want a large screen and image stabilisation. Not too fussed about a big zoom.

Would be nice if it looked quite cute. And maybe under £100?

Any suggestions?

My brother thinks I should get this one...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5592331/Trail/searchtext%3EGREAT+DEALS+ON+CAMERAS.htm

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My Mum has Coolpix. It is a good camera.

Only problem is, she always asks me to put the photos on her drive for her.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big question is how computer literate is she? My mother could never handle the computer side of a digital camera - though I suspect she's considerably older than your mother.

If she (or anyone else reading this) has concerns then there are stand alone printers designed for use with digital cameras that might be more important than the camera itself.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    The big question is how computer literate is she? My mother could never handle the computer side of a digital camera - though I suspect she's considerably older than your mother.

[bIf she (or anyone else reading this) has concerns then there are stand alone printers designed for use with digital cameras that might be more important than the camera itself.[/b]

Another alternative is to remove the memory card from the camera and take it along to a supermarket like Asda/Tescos or Boots and get the photos developed there - prints are as little as 5p each.

As for a camera recommendation - I don't think you can go far wrong with Cannon.

Cannon Powershot E1 - in pink.

Cannon Powershot A480
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for any Sony Cybershot, it's great.

I took it to Singapore with me last year and it worked very well in the high humidty.

Expect to pay around £90 or less.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Another alternative is to remove the memory card from the camera and take it along to a supermarket like Asda/Tescos or Boots and get the photos developed there - prints are as little as 5p each.
    That's a good point, my wife actually did that because it's more convenient than sorting out the correct paper etc.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some compact digital camera's (my fuji finepix does, my folks Kodak doesnt - even though its newer!) have a AV adaptor cord. Connect the camera to the tv for playing back pictures on the tv screen. Nice! *tv needs scart jack, or round RCA yellow *composite* jack.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    get the best image stabilization tech you can find.
    esp important with tiny cameras that are hard to stabilize...and older shakier hands.

and of course make sure she has an easy way to backup pictures....

buying her a camera loses the point if she's going to lose a couple years worth during a harddrive crash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    get the best image stabilization tech you can find.
    esp important with tiny cameras that are hard to stabilize...and older shakier hands.

and of course make sure she has an easy way to backup pictures....

buying her a camera loses the point if she's going to lose a couple years worth during a harddrive crash.

Haha! Can't wait to tell her about that one. :) Yeah she only 50 and can handle a computer just about, she knows how to book a holiday so she should be ok.

Thanks for the idea everyone! I do think image stab is very important, I learnt that the hard way going for a tiny cool looking Casio myself and suffering a lot of really bad images.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1599374273.1257037862@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccejadeijmildijcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&sku=622251&page=Product#productInformationSection

I'm looking at that one now...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Came across this thread as looking for a new camera for me and also for my Mum.

After seeing the Canon Powershot A480 mentioned on here I did some Googling and for around the £100 mark it certainly looks like a decent buy - will be picking one up tomorrow I think.

Edit: £81 on Amazon - bought!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    aldis have a good one with spare battery, doccking station and other stuff

its got Sony stuff in it