Options

Dragon's Den

Comments

• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must have known they were gona turn that deal down, he'd have been gobsmacked if they took it :D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode tonight though.

Yeah it's quite watchable. Better than last series.
  • Options
    SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a weird woman.

What a rude, arrogant and extremely stupid woman. I hate violence but I wanted to slap that supercilious 'smile' from her face. On the other hand it was a perfect example of how NOT to pitch to the dragons. The ludicrous valuation was the biggest mistake, but that was only the first of many. I think the dragons were very restrained.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bloke sitting between Deborah and Peter - has he actually invested anything yet? Missed a bit of this series but he looks like he keeps his hand on his wallet?
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else get the impression that the man in the white shirt in the last business was shocked with the female owner of the seaweed business, i felt that he was angry with her and maybe was looking to get away from her and the company.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. I couldn't believe that last woman. Even the man didn't want to look at her in the lift at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    clever3000 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the impression that the man in the white shirt in the last business was shocked with the female owner of the seaweed business, i felt that he was angry with her and maybe was looking to get away from her and the company.

At the end in the lift, he did make a comment about her getting bad advice or something (cant remember exactly) and he was shaking his head, she still looked like she thought it didnt go too badly :D
  • Options
    SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is exactly the impression I got.
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SueG wrote: »
    What a rude, arrogant and extremely stupid woman. I hate violence but I wanted to slap that supercilious 'smile' from her face. On the other hand it was a perfect example of how NOT to pitch to the dragons. The ludicrous valuation was the biggest mistake, but that was only the first of many. I think the dragons were very restrained.

well said - i agree - horrible woman
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Get a grip people.

All she did was over evaluate her business and didnt know her sums - the dragons kicked up a fuss and tried to trip them up for nothing.

Especially Peter trying to make TV and trolling them.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? He should still be keeping tabs on what's going on behind the scenes.

I don't think he was an owner of the business, just the seaweed collector.

He did seem shocked with her at the end. When they were in the lift she was looking at him and he was obviously not wanting eye contact. Then the comment about getting bad advice.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See that toilet door opener thingy surely the germs would be transferred onto that from the door and then when you folded it up to put in your wallet the germs would go on your hands kind of defeating the purpose of the thing. I was surprised none of the dragons mentioned this. Also wouldn't it have been a better idea to make it out of plastic anti bacterial microban for added germ protection?

The woman with the seaweed company was awful she would be a nightmare to work with or have as your boss. I can't see her company being successful or making anything like her projected figures. The fact Touca made her an offer was a shocker.

I was surprised the Tag crisp man managed to get a deal done in the end it didn't look like it was going to happen.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See that toilet door opener thingy surely the germs would be transferred onto that from the door and then when you folded it up to put in your wallet the germs would go on your hands kind of defeating the purpose of the thing. I was surprised none of the dragons mentioned this. Also wouldn't it have been a better idea to make it out of plastic anti bacterial microban for added germ protection?

I wasn't paying close attention. So it wasn't a special UV light or whatever that showed up the germs, but just a bit of plastic to open the door with?!

In other words, a device for collecting as many germs as possible and taking them home with you!

That's £25,000 well spent.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't see that toy woman staying with Touker. Their manufacturing ideas were totally different and I could see a clash of personalities already.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be fair to the dragons, ANYONE going in there should have a grasp of the basics, turnover, gross/net profit etc and the figures for their business in relation to. the dragon's will forgive (to varying degrees) people freezing and so on but to simply not know ... :blush:

also remember, they need to make a show of it i.e. it has to be entertaining. so if the dragons weren't ... emmm dragons ... then it would make for pretty boring telly.

for me they don't show enough of the so-called stupid ideas any more, i say so-called cause some of the 'stupid' things they've turned down have gone on to have at least some success. getting a bit bored of food/drink ideas and the like ...
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, hold on, What's gross profit again? :):blush:

The seaweed lady didn't do very well, but I'm not sure what the bloke was there for. It sounded like his roll was to pick up the seaweed, and I couldn't get over the massive hair growing out of the tip of his nose :o

The poo thing, it seemed more complicated than it actually needed to be. I thought it was just a piece of plastic at first. But there were shots of Touka with his hand in some sort of springy thing. Also, do people really carry disposable gloves for opening toilet doors?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to be fair to the dragons, ANYONE going in there should have a grasp of the basics, turnover, gross/net profit etc and the figures for their business in relation to. the dragon's will forgive (to varying degrees) people freezing and so on but to simply not know ...

I don't exactly know what gross profit is either. But when turnover for the past six and twelve months has been £200,000, while £350,000 has been spent on seaweed, even I can tell something is not right.

Why is there a £150,000 discrepancy? Is it due to not selling all the seaweed (so there will be lots of stock), or to selling it below the cost price? That could be a vital point!

(And if the seaweed is merely picked up off a beach, how can it cost that much? I would take closer look at the seaweed guy's expenses...)
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    The bloke sitting between Deborah and Peter - has he actually invested anything yet? Missed a bit of this series but he looks like he keeps his hand on his wallet?

Nick invested in the first episode in a joint deal with Deborah, however Sarah is yet to invest in any businesses thus far.

Going back to the seaweed lady last night, it would have been great to have seen Duncan back to see what he would have said to her!

As far as the new dragons go, i think that they are all very good, Touker has been very different from all other Dragons and Nick seems to talk sense a lot of the time and actually help the entrepreneurs even when he isnt investing. Sarah has been another good addition but it will be interesting to see what she will make her first den investment.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick invested in the first episode in a joint deal with Deborah, however Sarah is yet to invest in any businesses thus far.

Going back to the seaweed lady last night, it would have been great to have seen Duncan back to see what he would have said to her!

As far as the new dragons go, i think that they are all very good, Touker has been very different from all other Dragons and Nick seems to talk sense a lot of the time and actually help the entrepreneurs even when he isnt investing. Sarah has been another good addition but it will be interesting to see what she will make her first den investment.

The look of disgust on her face last night when crisp man went with Peter and Deborah and not her was priceless. :D
  • Options
    JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if Evan Davies wasn't annoying enough they now seem to have lots of very distracting background music going on during the pitches!!!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Couldn't grasp the toilet door opening thing, so I transfer all the germs to my card thing, then place it in my wallet, which sometimes being a bloke ends up grasped between teeth when holding to many things, then gets transfered to all my credit and debit cards, or worse to my Tesco club card, that I just used to buy a sandwich and am now proceeding to eat.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seaweed woman was very irritating and I thought Peter Jones was going to lose it for a minute there. How she'd got that far without understanding about gross profits etc.

I thought I was the only person to notice the big old hairy nose of Seaweed Man. :D:D
    I kept thinking of the Father Ted sketch with the hairy babies. :D
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Seaweed woman was very irritating and I thought Peter Jones was going to lose it for a minute there. How she'd got that far without understanding about gross profits etc.

I thought I was the only person to notice the big old hairy nose of Seaweed Man. :D:D
    I kept thinking of the Father Ted sketch with the hairy babies. :D

I didn't notice and I was watching on hd for once. Odd man though, I'm glad he thought he had the best job in the world, wonder if he still does?
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't grasp the toilet door opening thing, so I transfer all the germs to my card thing, then place it in my wallet, which sometimes being a bloke ends up grasped between teeth when holding to many things, then gets transfered to all my credit and debit cards, or worse to my Tesco club card, that I just used to buy a sandwich and am now proceeding to eat.

Some one suggested using loo paper but apparently doing this would "make you look strange"? What about carrying a couple of tissues, Jeez. What a pointless product.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    A few weeks in and I quite like the new dragons.

Deborah though appears to have lowered her low tolerance threshold even lower & Peter seems to be heading that way too. I think Peter probably misses the comic relief provided by Duncan.

Can Sarah 'open doors' to anything other than restaurants ? Not sure I see her getting involved in a retail or manufacturing investment.