Options

Young Amy waiting for the Doctor - Two outcomes?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I'm very confused at the outcome of Amy waiting for the Doctor to return. We've been shown two different scenes. In The Big Bang, the Doctor picked her up and put her back to bed. And in an alternate scene, she was still there in the morning and she heard the TARDIS noise (The Angels Take Manhattan et al)

What actually happened? Did the Doctor return in the morning and I suppose tell her that he'll be coming back for her? Or did he turn up in the middle of the night when she had already fallen asleep on top of the suitcase, and put her back to bed?

It's something that's been bothering me for 5 years now.

Comments

• Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I think that too. In TATM Amy asks him to go back and talk to her younger self. Tell her all the good things that will come if she is patient. However if that had happened Amy as an adult in The Eleventh Hour would not have been furious with him for not coming back!.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I'm very confused at the outcome of Amy waiting for the Doctor to return. We've been shown two different scenes. In The Big Bang, the Doctor picked her up and put her back to bed. And in an alternate scene, she was still there in the morning and she heard the TARDIS noise (The Angels Take Manhattan et al)

The scene in the Big Bang happened in the alternate timeline of the destroyed universe. That didn't happen in the restored timeline. The Doctor originally didn't go back to her at all, and only met her again 12 years later - however at the end of Angels, Amy tells him to go back to her, so we have to assume he did that too, afterwards.

The wrinkle is that, in the restored timeline, Amelia's parents did exist, which would have vastly changed the interactions she had with the Doctor in the first place. So we have to handwave those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The scene in the Big Bang happened in the alternate timeline of the destroyed universe. That didn't happen in the restored timeline. The Doctor originally didn't go back to her at all, and only met her again 12 years later - however at the end of Angels, Amy tells him to go back to her, so we have to assume he did that too, afterwards.

The wrinkle is that, in the restored timeline, Amelia's parents did exist, which would have vastly changed the interactions she had with the Doctor in the first place. So we have to handwave those.

But the Doctor put her to bed and stepped through the crack, so she was in bed the following morning (which is the current timeline, where her parents actually existed). So, if she was in bed after the Doctor stepped through the crack, then how is it that he visited her the following morning in TATM, and she was sitting on her suitcase waiting? Did he jump to a different timeline?

There is the point that the Doctor never existed, so wasn't able to carry her back inside. But by this logic, why would she be outside in the first place? She wouldn't have met the Doctor after his regeneration because he simply didn't exist.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we power up The Nethersphere (and the control bracelet, which Clara conveniently has), we should be able to ask her what really happened that night.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? I thought everything Moffat wrote made perfect sense, and it had all been explained hundreds of times, and anyone who didn't get it was a bit dim?

But that must have been on some other forum, in another universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? I thought everything Moffat wrote made perfect sense, and it had all been explained hundreds of times, and anyone who didn't get it was a bit dim?
    God no. What a horrible thing to say about your fellow Whovian. You should be ashamed of yourself! :D ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God no. What a horrible thing to say about your fellow Whovian. You should be ashamed of yourself! :D ;-)

Clever clogs! You well know it was me who was accused of dimness. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clever clogs! You well know it was me who was accused of dimness. :D

Not by anyone worth listening to, Granny. :cool:

But back to the question at hand - the events surrounding Big Bang 2, are, by their very nature, totally messed up. The fact that it makes no sense logically is by design, which is what makes it simultaneously absolute nonsense and also well-explained. Go with the theme, the character and the story, not the mechanics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not by anyone worth listening to, Granny. :cool:

But back to the question at hand - the events surrounding Big Bang 2, are, by their very nature, totally messed up. The fact that it makes no sense logically is by design, which is what makes it simultaneously absolute nonsense and also well-explained. Go with the theme, the character and the story, not the mechanics.

Well done. Extricated from another fine mess. Moffat couldn't have done it better himself. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    If we power up The Nethersphere (and the control bracelet, which Clara conveniently has), we should be able to ask her what really happened that night.

Perhaps it calls for a police investigation?

"Where were you at 4:26am"...
    "Ah, yes, now I remember"...

Possible Agatha return?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    If she was ever in the Nethersphere, she's now a Cyberman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »

A dead Cyberman!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    A dead Cyberman!

same goes for Rory, serveral versions of Clara, Pete Tyler, ianto, Tosh, Owen and possibly even Adric
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope not Amy and Rory deserve to rest in peace with the rest of their family including River/Melody. River deserved better then to be trapped as a disembodied data ghost stuck in computer for the rest of eternity.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »

Danny went back after he burned - so I imagine the others did, too. Lost to the aether now, though.

If only The Doctor would have tried to use his Time Lord technology to re-power the other Time Lord technology....

"The Twelfth Doctor, mad with power, proclaims that 'JUST THIS ONCE, EVERYBODY, EVERYWHERE LIVES' as every man, woman and child who ever lived is brought back to life with freshly fabricated bodies..."

No, that wasn't really an option, was it, come to think of it ^_^
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope not Amy and Rory deserve to rest in peace with the rest of their family including River/Melody. River deserved better then to be trapped as a disembodied data ghost stuck in computer for the rest of eternity.

The beings in the Library, nethersphere and Matrix are digital copies of the orignals.

Some of which are then downloaded back into their original bodies (or brand new bodies as with The Master).

If you beleive in Souls and Life after death then what is stored in the Computers isn't the essence/soul of the original person just a digital copy of their mind/personality. The Soul will have moved on elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    If you beleive in Souls and Life after death then what is stored in the Computers isn't the essence/soul of the original person just a digital copy of their mind/personality. The Soul will have moved on elsewhere.
    Does that matter much to the personality inhabiting the simulated body?

"I think, therefore I am."