Options

brightness or contrast?

On a 50Hz telly which is the most important setting, brightness or contrast? I read somewhere once that there are recommended settings for these two, i think they gave the settings as a percentage value??? What would be the best values to begin with?

Comments

• Options
    John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbie red wrote:
    On a 50Hz telly which is the most important setting, brightness or contrast? I read somewhere once that there are recommended settings for these two, i think they gave the settings as a percentage value??? What would be the best values to begin with?

They are what you want them to be to give a picture that you like.
    One mans meat and all that.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brightness sets the Black level - so set this first so that you can just about see the black in the picture is very very dark grey (compare this to say the black in a letter box top and bottom).
    If you set it too low you do not see details in the blacks ......

Contrast is like volume - so set it so that you do not crush out the whites .... Professionally you would use a light meter to set this !!!

Needless to say doing this you have all colour turned off/down.

Having got a nice B&W picture then wind up the colour .. but not too much - just enough to make it natural not colourful!!!!

It is amazing how a well adjusted picture makes viewing more enjoyable..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I have always done it.........some of the orange flesh tones I've seen on some people's TVs require an 'X' (or was it 'H') certificate - remember those?!

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I don't like it when the brightness control is set too high - black is grey and the picture looks washed out. Too much colour is bad too.
    In old TVs the brightness and contrast controls used to interact with each other, but they shouldn't now.

I agree with what has been posted above.

Find a suitable channel or adjust the TV settings so that you get a black border, eg. letter box.
    As an initial adjustment : set brightness to about 50% and contrast to about 75%. Turn the colour down.

Turn the brightness control up so that the black border is grey then turn back down just until it is solid black, but not too far.
    Once the brightness control has been set, do not adjust it again. Use the contrast control to make the picture brighter or darker. Depending on the TV the contrast should be set to about 75%.
    The colour adjustment will not work with signals from an RGB SCART input, so should (in most cases) give a good picture which can be used as a reference to set the colour control for analogue TV or from composite SCART inputs.
    Turn the colour back up, just enough - solid colours should not be patterned or bleed out from where they should be, and definately no orange faces.