Options

Chilled bread and ketchup

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
My in-laws keep their bread and tomato/brown sauce in the refrigerator and wondered if anyone else found this just plain wrong or are we in the minority by not doing this?

I know it says keep refrigerated but chilled bread is hard and tastes stale and what's the point in going to all the trouble of rustling up a nice hot bacon sarney then slapping it between two slices of chilled bread and covering it in ice cold sauce.

Comments

• Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Bread becomes stale quicker in the fridge - I believe ketchup and brown sauce should be stored, once opened, in the fridge tho' - like mayo.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Bread goes in the bread bin.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    If I have a loaf which I don't intend to eat immediately I'll put it in he fridge to keep it fresher. Then it goes in the bread bin when I'm using it.

Tomato sauce and salad cream get kept in the fridge, though I doubt it makes much difference really.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Bread becomes stale quicker in the fridge - I believe ketchup and brown sauce should be stored, once opened, in the fridge tho' - like mayo.

If you go by what the bottles say, ketchup should be stored in the fridge, and brown sauce in the cupboard, which is what we do, because we are sheep.:D

Bread, should NEVER be stored in the fridge. As Utopian Girl says, it goes stale much faster (because it dries out much faster in the cool air). It does, however, freeze very well.
  • Options
    wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    I always freeze my bread and then defrost/toast it as required. ketchup/brown sauce goes in the fridge.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    If I have a loaf which I don't intend to eat immediately I'll put it in he fridge to keep it fresher. Then it goes in the bread bin when I'm using it.

Keeping it in the fridge makes it go stale much quicker than at room temperature. If you want to keep it longer put it in the freezer - slice it first if needed.

Mould will grow faster though at room temperature so the best place to store it does depend upon the type of bread.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I keep the ketchup, brown sauce, salad cream, mayo, jam in the fridge, but not bread though as it seems to dry it out.

Don't know how I survived my childhood though as my Mum never stored the sauces in the fridge and still doesn't to this day and no harm came to us then.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I never keep ketchup in the fridge and I've never had a problem. Bread on the other hand goes in the freezer because I don't eat it often.
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never put bread in fridge, although I will put potato cakes in fridge once iv opened them. Brown sauce and ketchup I keep in the cupboard and mayo and salad cream in the fridge.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I never keep anything that is preserved or pickled in the fridge - so products with sugar and vinegar should be fine. The same goes for other sauces such as mayo, salad cream etc. but more likely because of chemical stabalisers.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ketchup in the fridge, bread in cupboard and we don't have brown sauce :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We keep both in the fridge. But apparently bread goes stale quicker in the fridge. My mother is adamant that we're not getting a bread bin as it 'takes up space'.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got round to using up the last of my HP sauce that's been in the cupboard for what must be almost 2 years and it's just as good as the day it was openend. Ketchup does tend to go tarty and a bit vinegary after about 6 months but usually it's used up well before then and even so it's still.perfectly edible. Never had a problem with leaving red or brown sauce out at room temperature. Bread does go off quicker when left out but even in summer I've found it lasts at least a week and is a lot softer than when it's out in the fridge. The key is to buy fresh locally produced bread which is fresher and lasts longer. Warburtons seems to be stale the minute you open it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I've just got round to using up the last of my HP sauce that's been in the cupboard for what must be almost 2 years and it's just as good as the day it was openend. Ketchup does tend to go tarty and a bit vinegary after about 6 months but usually it's used up well before then and even so it's still.perfectly edible. Never had a problem with leaving red or brown sauce out at room temperature. Bread does go off quicker when left out but even in summer I've found it lasts at least a week and is a lot softer than when it's out in the fridge. The key is to buy fresh locally produced bread which is fresher and lasts longer. Warburtons seems to be stale the minute you open it.

The opposite is true. Fresh hand made loaves often last far less time than mass produced because they simply don't ha e the same preservatives in them.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ketchup in the fridge, brown sauce and bread in the cupboard.

Hinze Ketchup had all the artificial stuff taken out a few years back, so they now recommend it 's kept in the fridge
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't eat enough bread to keep it anywhere other than the freezer and then defrost the slices as needed.
    Ketchup in my house stays in the fridge once opened.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    abibble wrote: »
    We keep both in the fridge. But apparently bread goes stale quicker in the fridge. My mother is adamant that we're not getting a bread bin as it 'takes up space'.

You don't really need a bread bin. Wrapping the loaf in a paper bag and putting it in a cupboard works just as well. Better than storing in the fridge!
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of people keeping bread in their fridge before, seems alien to me.
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bread in the bread-bin but ketchup and all sauces in the fridge.

Bread's fine in the fridge if it's just for toast as it keeps longer.