about to watch how i met your mother from start

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the quality of the show never dips, there are episodes that aren't as great...
    Isn't that somewhat contradictory?

To the OP: How I Met Your Mother seems to have a devoted fanbase but I've never understood the appeal. It's a bunch of unlikeable, wise-cracking characters in extremely unlikely situations, and it soon gets repetitive and tiresome. Find a better way to spend the 72 hours.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »

To the OP: How I Met Your Mother seems to have a devoted fanbase but I've never understood the appeal. It's a bunch of unlikeable, wise-cracking characters in extremely unlikely situations, and it soon gets repetitive and tiresome. Find a better way to spend the 72 hours.

Yes, because I didn't explain what I meant xD Overall the quality never dips but like any other show, they suffer filler episodes, Normally around two or three a season that aren't up too par with the rest... But overall I'd say the quality stays consistent season too season.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »

I never understood the appeal of Friends. That featured a bunch of unlikeable, wise-cracking characters in extremely unlikely situations, and it soon gets repetitive and tiresome.

Yes, HIMYM is unrealistic but you have to remember that it is told from the perspective of 25 years in the future. As has been shown on multiple occasions Future Ted is an unreliable narrator who exaggerates, misses things out and gets things in the wrong order - just as any of us would when telling a story from years ago.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why I've never been able to get into it. I've watched it occasionally when repeated on E4 and the odd moment makes me laugh but the majority of the characters just grate on me.

But then I don't know whether it's the characters or just the actors. Alyson Hannigan's nasal voice is grating, Ted is so bloody annoying, Barney's unfunny and I don't think Segel's a good actor at all.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    How is that constructive? The OP was asking about the quality of later seasons, not whether he/she should start watching or not.

The OP clearly has never seen HIMYM and I therefore gave him my advice on not to waste his time with the show.

Why don't you go quote every one else's comments who didn't answer OPS question about the quality of later seasons..
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I have to retract my previous post because I caught some of this show today and realised I had it mixed up with something else. I'm not a huge fan of HIMYM but I've seen a couple of episodes and it's watchable. However, the show that I really can'tt stand is the one similar to this, but it has the annoying guy in it with the longish blond hair (he plays the same role in everything he is in) and he has an Indian assistant who he is racist to. It's one of the shittiest programs I have evr seen.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to retract my previous post because I caught some of this show today and realised I had it mixed up with something else. I'm not a huge fan of HIMYM but I've seen a couple of episodes and it's watchable. However, the show that I really can'tt stand is the one similar to this, but it has the annoying guy in it with the longish blond hair (he plays the same role in everything he is in) and he has an Indian assistant who he is racist to. It's one of the shittiest programs I have evr seen.

No idea what you're on about
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    The OP clearly has never seen HIMYM and I therefore gave him my advice on not to waste his time with the show.

Why don't you go quote every one else's comments who didn't answer OPS question about the quality of later seasons..

The OP didn't ask for advice on whether he/she should watch.

I responded to you because you gave the first answer, I didn't plan on responding to every other person who ignored what the OP asked.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rules of Engagement?
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be Rules of Engagement, and you will be happy because it's now been cancelled. I like the show but it's not my favourite sitcom.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like How i met your mother but i do have some problems with it. It has too many cutaways for one thing, sometimes i would just like them to get on with the episode rather than they constantly cutaway.

I also hate Robin, she does my head in, she's just an actress who shouldn't be doing comedies in my opinion, she's not funny. Basically she is like every character in friends apart from Ross. Yeah i don't like Friends, it's crap :p

Other than that i think it's a good show, it's not amazing but it's worth a watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love it, and it's definitely one to watch from the beginning (mostly because of the continuity and in jokes). I love Friends, but I probably actually prefer HIMYM more! I care about the characters more...

It is slightly less consistent in the later seasons, and I wasn't too sure about the current season until the latest two episodes, but I've not once thought about giving up on it.
    Forum Member
    The OP didn't ask for advice on whether he/she should watch.

I responded to you because you gave the first answer, I didn't plan on responding to every other person who ignored what the OP asked.

Do you know how a forum works?

The OP also didn't ask about what the characters are like, what characters people like and don't like or to talk about other similar shows like BBT and 2 Broke Girls.. But people still wrote about it. As it all relates to the topic the OP was talking about.. HIMYM.

Just like some people advised him not to watch it and others advised him to watch and stick it out.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    That would be Rules of Engagement, and you will be happy because it's now been cancelled. I like the show but it's not my favourite sitcom.

I've only seen it once, and it wasn't that good and doesn't look great from its adverts. Rules Of Engagement stars Patrick Warburton (Puddy in Seinfeld) if people are interested
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    just fiinished season 2 im loving it so far wedding episode was so funny:D

i love all the in jokes and the way they connect jokes to future or past episodes very impressive for a sitcom.
    Most sitcoms jokes are contained to that episode and never mentioned again HIMYM probly really benifits from a marathon watch

hoping the rest is just as good now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know how a forum works?

The OP also didn't ask about what the characters are like, what characters people like and don't like or to talk about other similar shows like BBT and 2 Broke Girls.. But people still wrote about it. As it all relates to the topic the OP was talking about.. HIMYM.

Just like some people advised him not to watch it and others advised him to watch and stick it out.

I haven't been posting that long, but I think I know how the forums work. I know enough to believe that when someone asks about the quality of a show in it's later seasons, a simple "don't waste your time" is probably not the response they hoped for. I can't speak for the OP, but I would imagine that statement didn't really answer his/her question. If anything, it was confusing. It sounded like you don't like the show, but your next post indicated that you didn't really mean that, so what exactly was it suppose to mean? You like it, but you don't recommend it? :confused:
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I've only seen it once, and it wasn't that good and doesn't look great from its adverts. Rules Of Engagement stars Patrick Warburton (Puddy in Seinfeld) if people are interested

i thought it was an ok sitcom
    david spade brought it down about 10 pegs or so the guy is so annoying then the indian guy came in jesus christ so bad those two characters are

should have been just the two main couples

anyways its one of the lesser sitcoms to trow on when theres F all else to watch
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    i thought it was an ok sitcom
    david spade brought it down about 10 pegs or so the guy is so annoying then the indian guy came in jesus christ so bad those two characters are

should have been just the two main couples

anyways its one of the lesser sitcoms to trow on when theres F all else to watch

I like Timmy's character. I appreciate his sarcasm :p
    Forum Member
    i think the perfect example of a really bad dip in quality is that 70s shows 8th season

uggh even thinking about it is horrible
    season 7 was not the greatest either but at least all the characters are intact

friends remained the same all through its 10years sure the characters got more wacky but they never went into bizarre territory with the storys or replacing heads
    Forum Member
    I haven't been posting that long, but I think I know how the forums work. I know enough to believe that when someone asks about the quality of a show in it's later seasons, a simple "don't waste your time" is probably not the response they hoped for. I can't speak for the OP, but I would imagine that statement didn't really answer his/her question. If anything, it was confusing. It sounded like you don't like the show, but your next post indicated that you didn't really mean that, so what exactly was it suppose to mean? You like it, but you don't recommend it? :confused:

To be honest the answer the OP was hoping for is completely irrelevant. A lot of people post don't get answers they were 'hoping' for, it's how a FORUM WORKS. My second post actually answered OPs original question about the quality of seasons.

People can answer threads the way the want to and feel necessary, which is what i did. I gave him advice on the show and i'm not going to apologise for that. Weather my advice was helpful, wanted or taken in is completely irrelevant.

I used to really like the show, now i find it a bit of a drag and i'm only really sticking with it because i want to find out how it ends. Would i recommend it to anyone to start watching from the beginning, definitely not. Is this explanation good enough for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the answer the OP was hoping for is completely irrelevant. A lot of people post don't get answers they were 'hoping' for, it's how a FORUM WORKS. My second post actually answered OPs original question about the quality of seasons.

People can answer threads the way the want to and feel necessary, which is what i did. I gave him advice on the show and i'm not going to apologise for that. Weather my advice was helpful, wanted or taken in is completely irrelevant.

I used to really like the show, now i find it a bit of a drag and i'm only really sticking with it because i want to find out how it ends. Would i recommend it to anyone to start watching from the beginning, definitely not. Is this explanation good enough for you?

I just don't understand why you didn't say that in the first place. The OP just wanted to know about the quality dip. I don't see why it was hard to answer and I certainly don't get that this is how "a forum works". A person asks a question and people give them answers that don't really answer it :confused:
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I like How i met your mother but i do have some problems with it. It has too many cutaways for one thing, sometimes i would just like them to get on with the episode rather than they constantly cutaway.

I also hate Robin, she does my head in, she's just an actress who shouldn't be doing comedies in my opinion, she's not funny

The cutaways are OK here and there but I HAAAAATE those episodes where the story is told from the 3 different perspectives. I think its cheap because you see the same 10-20 seconds over and over throughout the show and its hard to imagine the children sitting and listening to to their dad ramble back and forth

I also hate Robin she loves herself waaaaaay too much in the later episodes
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand why you didn't say that in the first place. The OP just wanted to know about the quality dip. I don't see why it was hard to answer and I certainly don't get that this is how "a forum works". A person asks a question and people give them answers that don't really answer it :confused:

Why do you think i have to justify my reply to you?

OP asks a question about HIMYM and states he has never watched it before... I tell him not to waste his time in starting to watch the show. It's really really really not that hard to understand. Or would you like me to justify my answers to you a bit more? Just let me know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think i have to justify my reply to you?

OP asks a question about HIMYM and states he has never watched it before... I tell him not to waste his time in starting to watch the show. It's really really really not that hard to understand. Or would you like me to justify my answers to you a bit more? Just let me know...

The OP stated he was finally going to watch HIMYM, but he didn't ask if he should. He asked about the later seasons. That's really really not that hard to understand, You already said that the "quality has dipped massively" and you seemed to deny disliking the show, so I can only assume that you once liked it. The OP may like it too, even if the quality takes a dive in later seasons.
    Forum Member
    The OP stated he was finally going to watch HIMYM, but he didn't ask if he should. He asked about the later seasons. That's really really not that hard to understand, You already said that the "quality has dipped massively" and you seemed to deny disliking the show, so I can only assume that you once liked it. The OP may like it too, even if the quality takes a dive in later seasons.

I'm not finding it hard to understand. But like i said before, it's a forum.. People can answer however they like. I advised OP not to waste his time watching the show... Advice i wish someone gave to me before i started watching it. You clearly didn't like my first reply.. And i clearly don't care.