Options

Kestrel FM sold to Celador

2»

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who does unlimited data plans and how much do they cost?

Three have an AYCE plan on PAYG and contract and T-Mobile have 'The Full Monty.'

Prices vary, so worth checking their websites for prices.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Graculus wrote: »
    Another blow for local community radio. We've already lost the old locally distincitve ILR stations to the generic Heart brand, where there is next to no local content any more. And now, what was our community station in Haslemere (Delta) then became Kestrel (there's not really much affinity between Haslemere and Basingstoke), and now it'll be even less relevant locally.

But will it.

I mean, honestly - what's the most important thing for local content? News! Well, Breeze will still provide that. And an events guide. Celador have committed themselves to providing this kind of hybrid of ultra local news and information within a wider network.

The harsh reality is that a stand alone station like Delta simply wasn't commercially viable in today's business environment. I would question if it ever was, being propped up by County Sound.

On balance, I think I'd rather have The Breeze or Jack FM if The only other option would be to close down.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On balance, I think I'd rather have The Breeze or Jack FM if The only other option would be to close down.
    I have to say I reckon Jack FM is a pretty good product - and it often has more local relevance in practice than stations with local live programming. Having a DJ sitting in a local studio does not equal local relevance if he/she isn't talking about anything of local relevance - especially if it means the station can't spare the time/money to spend on anything else local. Better in some ways to spend the money on local news and gathering local information - which Jack does. I appreciate that it's not what everyone wants from local radio, but it does seem to work.

I can't really comment on Breeze since I've never listened to it (I figured it wasn't aimed at me). Kestrel I've listened to passing through North Hampshire once or twice, but not enough to know if it's good on local content.

I have to say I think there's a chance they could go for Jack on some of these licences. Jack is currently on air in Swindon, I noticed last time I passed through on the M4.
  • Options
    MarkyTheMonkeyMarkyTheMonkey Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    He [Phillip Hatto] did leave for a while but yes he does know the area well. I remember he used to own a record shop in Basingstoke in the early to mid Nineties and while talking to him he said that he used to occasionally broadcast on Jazz FM at the time.

The shop was WEM, World of Entertainment & Music. Phillip Hatto also broadcast on some pirate radio station way way back.

Personally I cannot stand listening to the man... but hey, we are all different. :)
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Three have an AYCE plan on PAYG and contract and T-Mobile have 'The Full Monty.'

Prices vary, so worth checking their websites for prices.

Three network, all you can eat internet for £15
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Graculus wrote: »
    It may be the future - it certainly isn't the present.
    I hear the same bilge about internet radio being the answer to everything so often, it gets boring. Decent reception is far from universal. I need a receiver of some sort in any mobile device (outwith the home, where I can use broadband). And why deprive people of radio who cannot afford a fancy phone with mobile boradband?

These days you don't need a fancy phone for the internet as it's on most of them anyway.
  • Options
    clivea2003clivea2003 Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    James30 wrote: »
    Three network, all you can eat internet for £15

giffgaff, £10 cant be beaten
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Anything happening with this? I heard David Brown read news a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    some geezersome geezer Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    The Breeze - Jan 2013
  • Options
    jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Kestrel FM in Basingstoke changes its name to The Breeze on Sunday 16th December.

They are running trailers now on the name change.