Worst Product

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
The nominations for the worst-designed Apprentice product are:

- Secret Signals (S1)
- The Pooch Pouch (S3)
- Home Multi-Tone (S5)

I would actually say that they probably get worse as the series go on - no-one would ever buy the Home Multi-Tone.... the other two, perhaps......

Comments

• Options
    Mgar9Mgar9 Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Secret signals purely because the other choice (robots or something) was blatantly the better option to take
  • Options
    sveknusveknu Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    When I saw the title of this thread, the first two examples immediately came to mind. IMO, the "Pooch Pouch" takes the prize.
    Who wants to wear commando military gear when walking their dog?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol secret signals was hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I can't remember Secret Signals, I wonder whether that was from before I caught on to the show?

Can anyone recap for me please??
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Secret Signals was from series 1, task 2, where they had to design a children's game. Lindsay's team ended with two ideas, one about battling robots and the other cards with symbols on used to flash secret messages. She dithered about which one to pick, when through several votes and focus groups, all of whom preferred the robot, and then plumped for the Secret Signals at the last minute.

What the broadcast didn't make clear was that the robots could not be made to sell at the required price-point. Also, the basic concept of giving 10-year-olds a way to communicate in secret eg across a classroom, seemed OK to me. Lindsay's big mistake was dithering, and developing both ideas for too long, which effectively wasted half her resources.

I'd go with the Pooch Pouch as the worst product. The gym seemed to work OK, but the dog belt was pointless when we already have bags and rucksacks, and it looked like something Rambo would wear.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SS was never going to work when kids have phones! :rolleyes: Another one indulging in "consulting"

http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?id=69949
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pooch pouch gets my vote. What was Rory thinking?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pooch Pouch for sure...loved Tre's comment on it regarding how it wasn't the best idea to wear it in the "current climate" (after the terror attacks...since it looked very militant!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Secret Signals was from series 1, task 2, where they had to design a children's game. Lindsay's team ended with two ideas, one about battling robots and the other cards with symbols on used to flash secret messages. She dithered about which one to pick, when through several votes and focus groups, all of whom preferred the robot, and then plumped for the Secret Signals at the last minute.

What the broadcast didn't make clear was that the robots could not be made to sell at the required price-point. Also, the basic concept of giving 10-year-olds a way to communicate in secret eg across a classroom, seemed OK to me. Lindsay's big mistake was dithering, and developing both ideas for too long, which effectively wasted half her resources.

I'd go with the Pooch Pouch as the worst product. The gym seemed to work OK, but the dog belt was pointless when we already have bags and rucksacks, and it looked like something Rambo would wear.

Thanks for that! I definitely must not have been watching by that stage.
  • Options
    JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    It's definitely Pooch Pouch for me. Though, I've no doubt if they were targeting Los Angeles or Santa Barbara, they might have got a ton of orders. :D
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davemba wrote: »
    SS was never going to work when kids have phones! :rolleyes:
    It was aimed at kids who were too young for phones. It was to provide them with a kind of alternative. (It also allowed them a bit of creative artistry in that they could design their own symbols.)

We'll never know if it was wrong because it was judged by a panel of experts. It might have succeeded in the real world despite what the experts thought.
  • Options
    sveknusveknu Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    We'll never know if it was wrong because it was judged by a panel of experts. It might have succeeded in the real world despite what the experts thought.

Is that you, Lindsay?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pooch Pouch was a terrible idea. Secret Signals was an outdated and uninspiring idea, particularly in contrast to the other ideas floating around, but the dog thing was wrong on every level.