Annoying neighbour/ Driveway

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
So a quick breakdown of the situation. Myself and my partner own our house, have two cars and a driveway with a dropped kurb and the room for one car. Usually (99% of the time) i park on the driveway, my partner parks across the driveway.

Today my partner has gone to help a friend out and i gave him a lift there. So he reversed his car slightly to give me the room to get out, and i took him out, returned home parked on driveway. We didnt bother moving his car as i would be going back out to fetch him soon anyway.

Just looked out the window and my very petty next door neighbours boyfriend has parked his car right across the driveway blocking me in. I assume this is some kind of attempt at revenge becasue my partners car is about half a cars length across his house.

Just to set the scene a little. Next door have no driveway or dropped kerb just a normal fence and small wooden gate nd footpath to there door etc.. There is also about 2 car lengths worth of space directly in front of there house in which to park and pretty much an entire street as its not a busy road for parked cars.

So obviously if i need to go out i will go ask very nicely if he would be so kind as to move his car. But, if they refuse, or have gone out, or just plain old ignore me, is there an offence being commited here and can anything be done about it?

Hope i got all the info in there, sorry for the long post and thankyou in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an offence to block a dropped kerb?

Yes, it is {unless you give your explict consent};

"Traffic Management Act 2004 updates - It is illegal to block a dropped curb driveway wether there is a car on it or not unless you have permission of the resident.

86Prohibition of parking at dropped footways etc. E+W.(1)In a special enforcement area a vehicle must not be parked on the carriageway adjacent to a footway, cycle track or verge where—.
    (a)the footway, cycle track or verge has been lowered to meet the level of the carriageway for the purpose of—.
    (i)assisting pedestrians crossing the carriageway,.
    (ii)assisting cyclists entering or leaving the carriageway, or.
    (iii)assisting vehicles entering or leaving the carriageway across the footway, cycle track or verge; or.
    (b)the carriageway has, for a purpose within paragraph (a)(i) to (iii), been raised to meet the level of the footway, cycle track or verge..
    This is subject to the following exceptions.
    (2)The first exception is where the vehicle is parked wholly within a designated parking place or any other part of the carriageway where parking is specifically authorised..
    A “designated parking place” means a parking place designated by order under section 6, 9, 32(1)(b) or 45 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c. 27).
    (3)The second exception is where the vehicle is parked outside residential premises by or with the consent (but not consent given for reward) of the occupier of the premises..
    This exception does not apply in the case of a shared driveway.
    (4)The third exception is where the vehicle is being used for fire brigade, ambulance or police purposes..
    (5)The fourth exception is where—.
    (a)the vehicle is being used for the purposes of delivering goods to, or collecting goods from, any premises, or is being loaded from or unloaded to any premises,.
    (b)the delivery, collection, loading or unloading cannot reasonably be carried out in relation to those premises
    "
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I tried our good friend google but i was getting conflicting answers. Some were saying illegal and some were saying a civil matter so nothing can really be done!! whatever it is its down right inconsiderate!
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politely ask the boyfriend to move his car so that you can get out. If he refuses, telephone you local police station (not 999) and explain that you are being prevented from getting your car out. I am positive it is an offence, but do give him the chance to move it
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a one-off event so far? Is it worth getting worked up over? Just go ask nicely you don't need a lawyer just yet.
    Forum Member
    Oh of course! I'm not a confrontational person at all and ill have my 4 month old with me so I defo won't be looking for trouble. To be honest I'm hoping he's gone by the time I need to go out!
    Forum Member
    Haha. I'm not getting a lawyer yet! It's kind of a one off he's not a very nice man and is quite petty so I'm expecting to get ignored when I knock to be honest! The neighbour on the other side of him had to get CCTV installed because of trouble he was causing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a quick breakdown of the situation. Myself and my partner own our house, have two cars and a driveway with a dropped kurb and the room for one car. Usually (99% of the time) i park on the driveway, my partner parks across the driveway.

Today my partner has gone to help a friend out and i gave him a lift there. So he reversed his car slightly to give me the room to get out, and i took him out, returned home parked on driveway. We didnt bother moving his car as i would be going back out to fetch him soon anyway.

Just looked out the window and my very petty next door neighbours boyfriend has parked his car right across the driveway blocking me in. I assume this is some kind of attempt at revenge becasue my partners car is about half a cars length across his house.

Just to set the scene a little. Next door have no driveway or dropped kerb just a normal fence and small wooden gate nd footpath to there door etc.. There is also about 2 car lengths worth of space directly in front of there house in which to park and pretty much an entire street as its not a busy road for parked cars.

So obviously if i need to go out i will go ask very nicely if he would be so kind as to move his car. But, if they refuse, or have gone out, or just plain old ignore me, is there an offence being commited here and can anything be done about it?

Hope i got all the info in there, sorry for the long post and thankyou in advance!

A couple of years ago there was an incident in my road where one neighbour parked behind another neighbour in a communal parking area - blocking them in.

The blocked in neighbour called the police - and the police told the neighbour who was blocking the other to move their car and not to park in such a way as to block in other drivers again.

I think you will find it is an offence to refuse to move the car when it is preventing someone else from getting out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaye2 wrote: »
    I think you will find it is an offence to refuse to move the car when it is preventing someone else from getting out.

It definitely is, as it could cause problems in an emergency.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    This is a one-off event so far? Is it worth getting worked up over? Just go ask nicely you don't need a lawyer just yet.

the problem is it gets out of hand very quickly , we from time to time have a similar problem , pulled the young cock about it the other week , his response ' stop being an arsehole ' sometimes you dont stand a chance , he wants me to react so he gets the high ground , there is more than one way to skin a cat though ......