Louisa's Cha-Cha - URGH!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curly wrote:
    No. According to her website she's been dancing since the age of 3. I would imagine that makes her a semi-pro at least!!
    QUOTE]

There is no such definition as 'semi-pro'.

The definition of a pro dancer is 'a dancer who teaches, performs, or competes for a living'

Since she does none of these, she is not a pro dancer. She is experienced yes, as are a lot of young actresses who have gone through stage school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gritty wrote:
    Thess, help me. What was going on about her being 'nearly' professional. It was mentioned by everyone last week. Are they talking about the potential to get a job in musical theatre or the basic talent to work like a professional ballroom dancer (surely not).

I so enjoyed Louisa on Saturday, she looked like a young girl having fun which was infectious. But I agree with much of the criticism above about the actual dances.

Hi Gritty.

Simply put, Louisa has had some dance training. In her bio she says she has been dancing since the age of three and she lists some styles that she can 'perform'

A lot of people believe that this gives her an unfair advantage. I say that it does not follow that you are going to be a great dancer simply because you take classes each week! A friend of mine took classes every week for nine years and she was still hopeless!

Anyway, I am inclined to believe that she had been a bit fast and loose with her assessment of her own ability on her bio!
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Thess wrote:
    Anyway, I am inclined to believe that she had been a bit fast and loose with her assessment of her own ability on her bio!

Or indeed her manager!

As one who had acted in the past, and has indeed taken associated dance lessons, I can vouch that the sort of dancing you are taught in no way prepares you for the rigours of ballroom and latin (apart from teaching you to count in fours). The one time I had to jive on stage, it was 1-2-3, 1-2-3, backstep, repeat ad nauseum!

And by the way, did Chris Parker not go to drama school? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Thess wrote:
    Excuse me ... "pro?" I think you mean 'celeb!'

Oops, I had a little hiccup with my keyboard and I turned Louisa into a "pro" instead of a "celeb". My deepest apologies to all those I have upset by this aawful mistake. How could I be so stupid !!!
    It is such fun reading all your posts trying to decide if Louisa is a "pro" or not. Oh she had sooo much dance experience before SCD. She went to acting school.
    So did Jill Halfpenny, and was'nt she a winner. Maybe its all a fix. Come to think of it, Emma has had some dance training too. It is all getting worse.
    Must finish because my lovely Louisa is in ITT now. Byeeee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Jill said that she had danced until she was 12 or 13 - as have loads of little girls.
  • CurlyCurly Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Thess wrote:
    Curly wrote:
    No. According to her website she's been dancing since the age of 3. I would imagine that makes her a semi-pro at least!!
    QUOTE]

There is no such definition as 'semi-pro'.

The definition of a pro dancer is 'a dancer who teaches, performs, or competes for a living'

Since she does none of these, she is not a pro dancer. She is experienced yes, as are a lot of young actresses who have gone through stage school.

So you agree that she is experienced then? Doesn't that give her an advantage over most of the others?

Not a very level playing field is it? Hope Mark wins it now!!
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    ritab wrote:
    Oh great another Louisa/Vincent hate thread started... Last one was Whats the problem with Vincent. ..

For the record, the 'What's the problem with Vincent' thread was actually defending him. I like him and Louisa. Perhaps you didn't read it.
  • killingtimekillingtime Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Curly wrote:
    Thess wrote:

So you agree that she is experienced then? Doesn't that give her an advantage over most of the others?

Not a very level playing field is it? Hope Mark wins it now!!

They all have strengths that are an advantage to them in one way or another.

Mark and Matt are used to the pressures and stress associated with competitive sports and gruling training schedules. They haven't had previous formal dance training but they are used to using their bodies and physicality in their respective sports. They should also be used to dealing with and coping with public criticism.

Emma is used to performing on stage in front of huge live and TV audiences so she should be affected by nerves the least of the four. She's also had experience of dancing and interacting with proffesional dancers on video shoots, stage and TV plus the stage school training.

Louisa as you say has had some stage school dance training so should have a good basic understanding of movement but she's had no real experience of live performance before. The steps and choreography which she's being asked to tackle and perform every week though more than compensates for that in my opinion when you compare it to some of the others so any advantage to my mind is pretty much evened out in that respect.