Cherie's Latin...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
.... isn't actually that bad at all! So I don't know why the PTB keep on going on about it. The Rumba was universally praised, there was a big mistake at the beginning of the PD, but apart from that, it was good - those lines she was hitting were fabulous. The Salsa really wasn't that great, but it's not really a proper 'Latin' dance anyway (since James prob had little idea how to choreograph/teach it anyway).

And from yesterday, the Cha-Cha is looking pretty good too. So hopefully people will stop generalising and appreciate that Cherie is a pretty good all-round dancer!

Comments

• XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I am a Cherie fan but even I admit, her salsa was not good at all. :( The cha cha looks better so hopefully she'll up her game this week. She needs to prove she is an all-rounder at this stage in the competition.
  • MutintaMutinta Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Her salsa was pretty terrible (and I say that as a fan of hers) but it didn't help that the routine was overly complicated and even James was getting lost.

However her rumba was amazing and paso wasn't that bad at all (the mistake threw her I think). Looking at the cha cha training, I don't think it'll be a disaster like the salsa and there was good hip action etc.

She does need to nail latin though if she has any hope of making the final. You can't excel at one discipline and not be up to scratch at the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's much more nervous about the Latin, having started off on a bad run with the paso that they didn't have much time to perfect, and then doing the salsa, which is really a 'boobs out and work it' dance - not exactly Cherie's style!

However, if James keeps the overall tone of the cha-cha (music, moves etc) in keeping with Cherie's sophisticated style, there's no reason why it shouldn't work out for them. There's certainly nothing wrong with her performance ability or technique, it's just a question of getting the mental block out the way.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    her Latin is certainly not as good as her Ballroom, the slow Rumba was good but the cha from what we saw she definitely needs to work on her action and let go a bit more will be interesting to see how it goes on Saturday hopefully she will nail it
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope she can do well at the cha cha, but rhumba apart, her Latins so far have been awful. Her salsa was horrific and really horrible to watch, I was watching from behind a cushion! :o

I have to say her cha cha is looking much better, if she can just relax into it, she'll be fine, I don't think she'll score anywhere near what she does in ballroom, but I think she'll be ok. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Another Cherie fan here and I have to say her Salsa was pretty awful and to give her credit, she'd be the first one to admit it.

I didn't think her Paso was that bad really - I've rewatched it a lot and that slip aside, I thought it was a good routine. And the rumba was gorgeous :)

The cha cha is looking good but I hope her nerves dont get to her - she has to nail it this weekend because she wont get much further without being good at the fast Latin. As a fan, that is hard to admit and I just wish her lots of luck for Saturday. I hope she comes out and wows everyone :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    I am a Cherie fan but even I admit, her salsa was not good at all.
    Her salsa was awful - possibly the worst we've seen on SCD this season. She was damn lucky to get 26 for it - in fact, she was overmarked.

However, a slow cha-cha might be OK - she can use some of her Rumba work in that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    DavidJames wrote: »
    Her salsa was awful - possibly the worst we've seen on SCD this season. She was damn lucky to get 26 for it - in fact, she was overmarked.

However, a slow cha-cha might be OK - she can use some of her Rumba work in that.

I rewatched the training last night and I must say, I didn't think that the cha cha they were practicing looked all that slow :)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutinta wrote: »
    She does need to nail latin though if she has any hope of making the final. You can't excel at one discipline and not be up to scratch at the other.

Oh, I dunno. Matt Dawson managed it.;)
    Forum Member
    Her salsa was awful - possibly the worst we've seen on SCD this season.

Has John not done a salsa yet? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week I think will be the crunch time for Cherie. She needs to pull off a good performance in her cha cha, or she will be relegated to "ballroom only" and she has very few of them left. One of which is the quickstep, which might also prove a sticking point.

She could probably do a slower cha cha without too much trouble but her arms need to improve. If they are anything like they were in the salsa, then dear God! But the cha cha works so much better at speed, so I'm not sure a slower one will wow people. I reckon it will be jive that could prove to be the biggest stumbling block but I'm trying not to presume until we see the dance on Saturday!

I tend to ignore the salsa anyway, because it's not a proper Latin dance, in the dancesport sense. And especially as none of the pros are salsa-trained. So maybe the Cha Cha will be a whole different story.
    Forum Member
    And especially as none of the pros are salsa-trained.

I noticed James looked very uncomfortable during their performance of the salsa. That can't have done much for Cherie's confidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed James looked very uncomfortable during their performance of the salsa. That can't have done much for Cherie's confidence.

Definitely. He did say it was such complicated choreography that even he had to really think about what he was doing. I remember Darren also seeming very wary of it back in SCD4 with Emma. I think the pros either launch themselves into it (Karen style) or else step very far away!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely. He did say it was such complicated choreography that even he had to really think about what he was doing. I remember Darren also seeming very wary of it back in SCD4 with Emma. I think the pros either launch themselves into it (Karen style) or else step very far away!

I don't think Salsa should really be included in SCD, as some pros are obviously a lot more experienced in it than others (e.g. Brian was fantastic, Darren hasn't produced a single Salsa [out of three] which I've liked), whereas with true DanceSport dances, it's a lot more even.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Oh, I dunno. Matt Dawson managed it.;)

.... as did Mark Ramprakash...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I have just watched her cha cha training as I missed it last night,and I think she looks a very good. Her salsa training looked very awkward and she didnt look comfortable at all from start to finish. I think she will pull off a great cha cha at the weekend and then her confidence will be on a high for the rest of the latin dances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Cherie fan I agree that her salsa was not very good. However like others, I think it would be unfair to leap to conclusions since the salsa is unlike any other of the dances being much freer in movement and also earthier (not Cherie). Her cha cha on ITT looked a normal speed and looked promising. I wouldn't want her and James to do a slow cha cha since that would leave some unfinished business as far as some viewers are concerned. It's one of James' favourite dances (unlike the salsa which he obviously didn't enjoy) and so that will help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cami_27 wrote: »
    I don't think Salsa should really be included in SCD, as some pros are obviously a lot more experienced in it than others (e.g. Brian was fantastic, Darren hasn't produced a single Salsa [out of three] which I've liked), whereas with true DanceSport dances, it's a lot more even.

I quite agree. It does create an uneven playing field. Though in a way I don't mind that the Argentine Tango is there. I guess salsa is not one of my favourite dance styles anyway. Personally, I'd rather see a lindyhop or other swing style dance. It might be similar to a jive, but then the salsa is a bit of mish-mash!
  • bridgertonbridgerton Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cherie looks quite good at the Cha Cha when compared to her attempte at the Salsa. The choreography looks amusing and perhaps overall, since James is more comfortable with this dance, she's picked up on that and is too.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope her cha cha goes well :)

I still can't understand how James/Richard Marcel thought she could manage that fast handy choreography for her salsa though. Unless she was great in training and it was just a blip.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has John not done a salsa yet? :p

My thoughts exactly! :D

Personally I think Cherie has only danced one bad Latin - the Salsa and although she made mistakes she was still better than Jessie!

Her Rumba was great and her Paso was not nearly as bad as people make out and I honestly believe if she hadn't messed up at the start she would have really nailed it.

I didn't think her Cha Cha training looked slow - it looked good and she has said she has stopped analysing every step (and writing it all down) and just going with the flow.

I wish her well on Saturday but even if she does pull it off, I doubt that will silence her critics on here.
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latin is more about attitude than lines. Her Paso was pathetically limp, and should have been much better (she is an actress after all!!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Cheri does slow and elegant well, but fast and hot.......no.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latin is more about attitude than lines. Her Paso was pathetically limp, and should have been much better (she is an actress after all!!).

So you would give her no credit for the fact she was thrown completely by such a bad mistake right at the start even though all the judges (and several of the pros on ITT) thought she recovered well to produce great lines?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you would give her no credit for the fact she was thrown completely by such a bad mistake right at the start even though all the judges (and several of the pros on ITT) thought she recovered well to produce great lines?

Would Jodie have got that consideration....? or even Rachel......:confused::confused: