Your Best & Worst T Baker Stories

Comments

• chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't disagree with much of your list, Meglosmurmurs. (Can I call you Meggie?)
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't disagree with much of your list, Meglosmurmurs. (Can I call you Meggie?)

Sure. ;)
    Although I'm a guy, does Meggie sound masculine enough? lol
  • robdxrobdx Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Cant believe how many people dislike Revenge of the Cybermen, except for tomb its the best cybermen story ever, Tom at his best, and by far Harrys best story him and SJ are a fantastic double act. Kellman is a good villian. To me its the 2nd best tom story after genessis with some of the best lines.....
    Whos the homicidal maniac??
    Harry sulivan is an imbecile!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Why do all of you dislike it so much????
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robdx wrote: »
    Cant believe how many people dislike Revenge of the Cybermen, except for tomb its the best cybermen story ever
    Except for all of the other sixties Cyber stories and also Earthshock, The Five Doctors and Attack, of course.
    Tom at his best, and by far Harrys best story him and SJ are a fantastic double act. Kellman is a good villian. To me its the 2nd best tom story after genessis with some of the best lines.....

Because the Vogans are tiresome and silly, its all very slow and rather dull, and the Cybermen are a shadow of their former selves, mainly.
  • smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except for all of the other sixties Cyber stories and also Earthshock, The Five Doctors and Attack, of course.

Because the Vogans are tiresome and silly, its all very slow and rather dull, and the Cybermen are a shadow of their former selves, mainly.

Think Revenge is far superior to Attack and Silver Nemesis, but other than that I agree. Though, I think it's a far from awful story, it's pretty hard to make a bad Cyberman story IMO!!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant believe how many people dislike Revenge of the Cybermen, except for tomb its the best cybermen story ever, Tom at his best, and by far Harrys best story him and SJ are a fantastic double act. Kellman is a good villian. To me its the 2nd best tom story after genessis with some of the best lines.....

I think you've summed it up for me Tony but I also hate the horrid incidental music, I don't believe it was Dudley Simpson who did this one, was it?

I also hate the fact the CyberLeader has an ordinary, oh and South African accent that has barely been treated to make it sound remotely like a Cyberman and not only that the Cybermen are supposed to emotionless and here we have one who gets riled by The Doctor.

You try and slip Revenge of The Cybermen into any other Tom Baker Season it would simply be so out place. In comparison to the next two Seasons alone it is truly dreadful.

Compared to all the other Cybermen it really doesn't ...compare, Eathshock and Attack are far superior stories and even Silver Nemesis is more entertaining !

The only good things I like about it is the by-play betwen the regulars, like at the very beginning, The Doctor and Harry when the rocks fell and The Doctor and Sarah in the end as they head towards the biggest Bang in history........:D
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kellman is a great, great baddie, and episode one is very atmospheric ... but so much of Revenge isn't terribly good.

The Vogans. The music. The Cybermen. The Cybermats. Maybe it's also hindered by being the first story on VHS, so the first "old" story that a lot of us got the chance to see. Familiarity breeds contempt. And the Cybermen are rarely any good at choosing scripts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Best

The Sunmakers
    Robots of Death
    Talons Of Weng Chiang
    Terror of the Zygons
    Pyramids of Mars
    Genesis of the Daleks
    City of Death
    Deadly Assassin
    Horror of Fang Rock
    Seeds of Doom
    The Ribos Operation
    The Stones of Blood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Best T Baker

1 Genesis of the Daleks
    2 Android Invasion
    3 Deadly Assassin
    4 Robots of Death
    5 Sontaran Experiment

Worst T Baker

1 Horns of Nimon
    2 Horror of Fang Rock
    3 Logopolis
    4 Underworld
    5 The Invisable Enemy

Companions

Best

1 Sarah
    2 Leela
    3 K.9
    4 Harry
    5 Romana 2 and Adric ( IDK why people hate these 2 so much

Worst
    1 Nyssa (Plain and Boring)
    2 Romana 1 (The Charactor is Alright but Key to time is just pants.

3rd and 4th and 7th doctors are all my best:)

6th Doctor Second Best

9th the worst
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'Robot' is absolutely awful.

Some of the stories in his final season were pretty weak.

Revenge of the Cybermen is rubbish.

Horror of Fang Rock is oddly overrated, and whilst not amongst the worst Baker era stories, it is probably one of Tom Baker's worst performances.

Best: There's so many classics it seems pointless to list them but i will say i love the Key to time stories. I think it's seriously underrated.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    1) The Seeds of Doom
    2)The City of Death
    3) The Talons of Weng Chiang
    4) The Ark in Space
    5) The Stones of Blood
    Worst
    1) The Armageddon Factor
    2) Logopolis
    3) Power of Kroll
    4) The Invasion of Time
    5) Destiny of the Daleks
    Don't hat Logopolis that much, it's just that it's a bad closing for IMO the best doctor ever
    4)
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    1)The Ark in Space
    2) Terror of the Zygons
    3)Genesis of the Daleks
    4) Planet of Evil
    5)The Robots of Death

Worst
    1)Warriors Gate (dull as dish water)
    2)The Sun Makers (no notable enemy at all)
    3)The Invasion of Time (cobbled together)
    4)Underworld (that bad I can't even remember it)
    5)The Leisure Hive (just for that bizarre opening scene that dragged on - oh and how dare they change the title sequence!)
  • MarblepeteMarblepete Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Best:

1) Talons of Weng Chiang
    2) Terror of the Zygons
    3) Horror of Fang Rock
    4) The Seeds Of Doom
    5) The Masque of Mandragora

Worst:

1) Underworld
    2) The Sunmakers
    3) The Invisible Enemy
    4) The Pirate Planet
    5) The Horns of Nimon
    Forum Member
    Best: There's so many classics it seems pointless to list them but i will say i love the Key to time stories. I think it's seriously underrated.[/QUOTE]

I actully like the Key to time now and changed my mind about companions

1 Sarah and Leela
    2 Romana 1 and K9

Worst
    Everything else but I do like Adric, Nysaa and Tegan in the Davidson era.
    Romana 2 is just a female version of tom baker especially in Destiny of the Daleks.
    Forum Member
    Best 5
    1) Talons of Weng-Chiang
    2) Genesis of the Daleks
    3) The Android Invasion/The Sontaran Experiment
    4) The Stones of Blood
    5) Revenge of the Cybermen

Worst 2
    1) Seeds of Doom
    2) The Ribos Operation

Companions

I like Sarah, Leela, Romana 1 and K9 all the same.
    Romana 2 is alright but I like the original.
    Others are Really Boring.

I dont count Tegan of a Fourth Doctor companion really.
    I liked her in Davidson era.

To me Scarves and Jelly Babies and Floppy Hats made Tom the most Doctor Whoish Dr who.
    Forum Member
    Exactly!
    Revenge of the Cybermen is the 5th best of Tom
    I like Tomb, Invasion and Revenge the best out of the cybermen
    Attack is rubbish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    interesting lists.
    was tom baker the peak of classic who ... or is that just rose-tinted spectacles on my part (i.e. thats what was mostly on when i was a kid). There are great episodes i've only seen later that i missed back then.

city of deaths' cabbage-head reveal is my earliest memory of a terrifying who-cliffhanger :)
    Forum Member
    Ok before I go and say my order I havent seen the following stories...

The Invisable Enemy, Image of Fendahl, The Sun Makers and Underworld

Ok now my order

1 The Deadly Assassin

2 The Seeds of Doom

3 The Talons Weng Chiang

4 The Android Invasion

5 The City of Death

6 The Invasion of Time

7 Genesis of the Daleks

8 Shada

9 The Ribos Operation

10 The Creature from the Pit

11 The Stones of Blood

12 The Androids of Tara

13 Revenge of the Cybermen

14 Ark in Space

15 The Hand of Fear

16 Meglos

17 Terror of the Zygons

18 State of Decay

Seasons

Season 12

1 Genesis of the Daleks
    2 Revenge of the Cybermen
    3 The Ark in Space
    4 The Sontaran Experiment
    5 Robot

Season 13

1 The Seeds of Doom
    2 The Android Invasion
    3 Terror of the Zygons
    4 The Brain of Morbius
    5 Pyramids of Mars
    6 Planet of Evil

Season 14

1 The Deadly Assassin
    2 The Talons of Weng Chiang
    3 The Hand of Fear
    4 The Robots of Death
    5 The Face of Evil
    6 The Masque of Mandragora

Season 15

1 Invasion of Time
    2 Horror Fang Rock
    MORE TO SEE...

Season 16 ( Key to Time

1 The Ribos Operation
    2 The Stones of Blood
    3 The Androids of Tara
    4 The Armgeddon Factor
    5 The Power of Kroll
    6 The Pirate Planet

Season 17

1 The City of Death
    2 Shada
    3 The Creature from the Pit
    4 The Horns of Nimon
    5 Destiny of the Daleks
    6 The Nightmare of Eden

Season 18

1 Meglos
    2 State of Decay
    3 The Keeper of Traken
    4 Full Circle
    5 Warriors Gate
    6 The Leisure Hive
    7 Logoplis

WORST

1 Logopolis - Bogged Down by Scientific Gobboldigooc and Geeky and not a fitting ending to Tom. Hes not Heroic he just looks incongorous to the new cast around him.
    2 The Pirate Planet - The Captain is over the top and I usually like silly but I hate this its just Hammy.
    3 The Leisure Hive - Nothing but Flash
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, a Bakkersby list. Excellent.

Pearlers:

City of Death
    Pyramids of Mars
    Talons of Weng Chiang
    The Deadly Assassin
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Robots of Death
    The Brain of Morbius
    Key to Time season (I'm cheating with this one because I love most of the stories in that season, but would only mark them all at 4 out 5. No stone-cold classic)

I'm not going to give reasons. The quality of them speaks for itself.

Howlers:

Robot!!!!!!! (It's God-awful)
    Revenge of the Cybermen (not exactly the Cybermen's finest hour)
    Destiny of the Daleks (how could a Douglas Adams era serial be so boring?)
    The Leisure Hive (tachywhatnow?)

Those are the only ones i can think of that are really terrible.

Logopolis - Bogged Down by Scientific Gobboldigooc and Geeky and not a fitting ending to Tom. Hes not Heroic he just looks incongorous to the new cast around him.

Although Logopolis is an okay serial, and quite interesting in parts, I have to agree it deserves an honourary place in the 'worst of' list just because it was such a 'f*** you' to the show's leading man of seven years. It was a disgracefully non-descript way to write him out to be honest. And surrounded by strangers in his regeneration scene too.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Tom Baker being my favourite Doctor its easy to pick my least favourite, Underworld. If it wasn't a 4th Doctor story I doubt I would have stuck it. Very hard going.
    My favourite story changes from
    Genesis of The Daleks, Terror of The Zygons and City of Death.
    The rest vary from great to good for me.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best: Talons...

A perfect serial that summed up not only the very best of the era but also Doctor Who in general. Wonderfully bizarre and it never gets dull however many times I watch it. Writing, acting, production is all top notch and Baker was immense throughout.

The Worst: Logopolis

I have been beaten to the punch by Tom T and Robert on this but I have to agree. While there are worse stories generally in his era this deserves its place for totally failing to give Baker the send off he deserved.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best

1) City Of Death
    2) Shada (film that exists plus Tom Baker's commentary)
    3) Logopolis
    4) The Deadly Assassin
    5) The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    6) The Pyramids Of Mars

Worst

1) The Horns Of Nimon
    2) The Creature From The Pit
    3) The Invasion of Time
    4) The Nightmare Of Eden
    5) Robot
    6) Meglos
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to do something different, and say what my favourite individual episodes are.

1. Terror Of The Zygons: ep 1 - Classic Who always did atmospheric, mysterious first episodes like no other show, and this is the best of the bunch for me. Tense and foreboding, the characters you meet are off-kilter somehow once you get over the cliched Scottish nonsense. And what a reveal, and cliffhanger!

2. Robots Of Death: ep 2 - "Do that again and I'll cripple you", "A simple no would have been sufficient", "You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain" - an eminently quotable episode. It also ratchets up the paranoia, and the bit when Poul says he'd call for a robot and realises the Doctor might be right is chilling, even though we knew it all along.

3. City Of Death: ep 2 - also stupidly quotable, it's the timey-wimey stuff I love here. The cliffhanger is a genuine game-changer, and a definite WTF! moment. Suddenly all bets are off.

4. Genesis Of The Daleks: ep 5 - while generally I find this story a little padded, it does contain two of the finest moments of Dr. Who, the twinned genocide questions. While the more famous one comes in episode 6 ("Have I that right?"), I love the Doctor-Davros version in this episode, where Davros shows his true ranting colours. Shocking cliffhanger though.

5. Logopolis: ep 4 - this was a tough choice, but I've chosen this just for my 9 year old self and the passing of my favourite Classic Doctor. I thought the Watcher was a really good idea, suitably enigmatic (i.e. not explained in the slightest), and the old friends and foes regeneration was inspired.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Best:

1) Ark In Space
    2) Talons of Weng-Chiang
    3) Terror Of The Zygons
    4) Genesis Of The Daleks
    5) Pyramids Of Mars

And there are loads of others good enough to make the top 5. It was very close.

Worst:

1) Creature From The Pit
    2) The Horns Of Nimon
    3) Underworld
    4) The Invasion Of Time
    5) Nightmare Of Eden

And there are loads of others bad enough to make the bottom 5. It was very close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always feel as though I should put The Horns of Nimon in both lists, it's a guilty pleasure.

I could watch this on a loop for an hour or two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRUqJSCOyZ4

Or the remix... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98MxxpzIoyg