Options

Little Things About Doctor Who You Like

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title suggests, this thread is just for people to post things about Doctor Who they like and maybe didn't even notice at first. If you want, I suppose they can be from Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures as well.

For instance, I like how the title 'The Waters of Mars' is a callback to 'The Fires of Pompeii' because both concern the Doctor debating about whether or not he can change time (though I've no idea if that's intentional!)

Anyone else have something they'd like to add? :)

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I liked how this little speech about standing on an alien world from "An Unearthly Child":

"If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cry of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?"

Was reflected in one brief shot as the War Doctor stood in the Gallifreyan desert in the 50th Special.

:)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    I like that it is not tethered to any format, and when its at it's best isn't tethered to any particular location either. It has the potential to be anything or tell almost any story, and whilst some episodes may repeat similar themes, no two episodes are the same.

Mostly though, I like the doctor.He's hero and anti hero at the same time, he tries to be good but he's not perfect and has a bit of darkness about him, although he mostly tries to suppress it. It is this unique character that makes the show what it is. He has a distinct personality that shines through in all his forms, despite the small changes to the outer layer personality. The doctor needs a companion, but they come and go. He is the star of the show who's adventures have been followed for 51 years and for me, episodes are stronger when he is given the focus he deserves.

Also, regeneration. I can't think of a more successful plot device that has done so well to keep a show going. In any other show, a change in the lead actor would prompt annoyance at least, or signal the imminent death of the show at worst, but in doctor who, with one genius plot device, audiences are not only fine with the change of lead actor, they actually expect it to happen every so often.