Options

Manchester NHS Trust warns against dangerous E-cigs

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HQuvKZcwZNs/Up3mfl6T9OI/AAAAAAAAAJg/JX0sQLr216Y/s1600/Smokefreemanchester.jpg

I gather this stance will soon become common across the entire NHS.

Stick to your pharma approved patches and the advice of the health experts eh.

Comments

• Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Or stick with real cigs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It does say that if they are found to be safe, they will be licensed in 2016. I know that the testing for that sort of thing takes a long time.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    It does say that if they are found to be safe, they will be licensed in 2016. I know that the testing for that sort of thing takes a long time.

Yes, and likely available through pharmacists and approved outlets only, in standardised form, flavourless, much more expensive, and with highly reduced nicotine content.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    What does "found to be safe" actually mean? It sounds like a way of saying "Nanny is going to decide whether she will let you have it or not because you aren't able to decide for yourself."

(I don't smoke or use e-cigs, btw.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The mark of death in a street in Greater Manchester is how many dodgy-looking e-cig shops have sprung up on it. They're like charity shops in more southerly places.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of money on leaflets.
    A lot of may's and a lot of no proof either way. What a load of crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll points 2&4 also apply to the inhalers that are currently recommended by the NHS.

Why do I have the suspicion that Niquitin, Nicorett etc are at the back of this.
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indeed, ecigs not lining the pockets of the right people. i expect more horror stories and scare tactics to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using e-cigs indoors undermines the smokefree message, I found particularly amusing. They don't produce smoke.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Using e-cigs indoors undermines the smokefree message, I found particularly amusing. They don't produce smoke.

The NHS is very foolish doing this... having people using the e-cig outside is going to cost them in extra accidents and people suffering from the cold while most e-cig users will just decide to go back to the **** :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    e-cigs & chargers exploding - should not be left to charge unattended or charged overnight, think that applies to most electrical devices used today such as mobile phones, tablets etc..

Children who have never smoked cigarettes can be come addicted to nicotine by using e-cigs..likewise children who have never smoked e-cigs can become addicted to nicotine by smoking cigarettes. Besides that nicotine is supposed to be a fairly harmless on it's own, other than the addiction, in other words it isn't really any more harmful than caffeine, again which is also addictive.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    e-cigs & chargers exploding - should not be left to charge unattended or charged overnight, think that applies to most electrical devices used today such as mobile phones, tablets etc..

Mine charges via a USB socket on the pc so can't see how they're likely to explode in a way to be of danger.
  • Options
    marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need some bloody willpower, no fake cigarettes. I know people who have given up from willpower alone. I fail to understand how anyone can get addicted to cigarettes.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    People need some bloody willpower, no fake cigarettes. I know people who have given up from willpower alone. I fail to understand how anyone can get addicted to cigarettes.

Because you crave it
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Maybe because nicotine is highly addictive...

Bit of a daft statement to make to be honest.
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on my own. Just suddenly stopped one day. Now they make me feel ill....just the smell of them. Awful.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Hardly damning evidence is it? It just says they 'may' do this and 'aren't proven' to do other things. Wow.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Errrr, because they are addictive.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

You fail to understand how anyone can get addicted to one of the most addictive things on the planet?

Wow.