Would you be less concerned about immigration if we had a gated town for them.

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
For example we use Ipswich as immigrant town and wall it off with massive unassailable fences. So none may leave with out a special pass. Then any immigrants looking to move to the UK we would go ok fine off to Ipswich with you.

It could become like a mini china and create an manufacturing industry and that could complete with the cheap items made in china. It could be a win win for the immigrants who get housing and UK TV. Where England would become a world player in the manufacturing Industry. Also I think people in the UK would not be concerned with immigrant crimes or polish dentists as it would all be self- contained.

Constructive thoughts please?

Comments

• WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've been reading too many dystopian novels or something.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The problem with using Ipswich in this "Escape from New York" scenario is that most immigrants arrive from the South East, so some will escape into the countryside en route, and we would have to employ Blade Runner type agents to track them down and "retire" them. Might be better to wall off the Ramsgate peninsula and put them all there.
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask yourself would you be happy to live there? You sound like a small minded pretty individual who sees all immigrants as a problem and are sub human. They are normal people like you and me looking for a better life treating them like scum dealt won't help.
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Sounds like you've been reading too many dystopian novels or something.

I saw Divergent recently but obviously that is just a movie. Just wondered if we could create something which was a win for all involved and put the UK public's minds at ease.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Stick all the anti-immigration lot behind a fence with their own kind and let the rest of us carry on with our lives
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The problem with using Ipswich in this "Escape from New York" scenario is that most immigrants arrive from the South East, so some will escape into the countryside en route, and we would have to employ Blade Runner type agents to track them down and "retire" them. Might be better to wall off the Ramsgate peninsula and put them all there.

Ipswich was just a suggestion but of course other towns may be more practicable. We may well need special Blade Runner type agents but think "retiring" them is extreme as a simple non-lethal dart could be used.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness this didn't happen when all the Angles, Celts & Saxons were coming here all those years ago, otherwise the country would be an humongous mass of gates & fences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    Ask yourself would you be happy to live there? You sound like a small minded pretty individual who sees all immigrants as a problem and are sub human. They are normal people like you and me looking for a better life treating them like scum dealt won't help.

No it would not be a bad place to live at all. It would be better than the life they are escaping from for sure. As mentioned it would be their own free choice and of course we could have a website showing all details before they agree to enter.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit like the old Russian union to me.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    For example we use Ipswich as immigrant town and wall it off with massive unassailable fences. So none may leave with out a special pass. Then any immigrants looking to move to the UK we would go ok fine off to Ipswich with you.

It could become like a mini china and create an manufacturing industry and that could complete with the cheap items made in china. It could be a win win for the immigrants who get housing and UK TV. Where England would become a world player in the manufacturing Industry. Also I think people in the UK would not be concerned with immigrant crimes or polish dentists as it would all be self- contained.

This just has to be a wind up, isn't it? :confused:

PLEASE tell me it's a wind up!!
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a concentration camp. I understand they were set up as mini factories as well. Maybe they could get us all to wear yellow stars or crescents as well.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness this didn't happen when all the Angles, Celts & Saxons were coming here all those years ago, otherwise the country would be an humongous mass of gates & fences.

Most towns from that era were walled and had huge gates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just has to be a wind up, isn't it? :confused:

PLEASE tell me it's a wind up!!

Immigration is very much a big concern for many in the UK hence the rise of UKIP. Which is why I wanted to look at alternative solutions to nigel farage who i think is an extremist.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

One problem i could see straight away, is the millions of uk workers in manufacturing industries lossing thier jobs, because the buisness would all shut shop up else were and start the buisness in these towns were they can get cheap labour, so increase the profit for themselves and shareholders. Just forces wages down even more. Buisness dont bother about the workforce or the country, only profit counts at any human cost
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    no.. but immigration cant continue like it is so we need some solution..maybe all new asylum seekers and migrants can be relocated...ushered to parts of the world that have less population and need hard working enthusiastic people.. parts of south america seem underpopulated..like patagonia..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Sounds like a concentration camp. I understand they were set up as mini factories as well. Maybe they could get us all to wear yellow stars or crescents as well.

Don't be silly it would be nothing like that and it would be a free choice to enter not forced. Of course people could where what ever they wanted there would be no fashion restrictions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    One problem i could see straight away, is the millions of uk workers in manufacturing industries lossing thier jobs, because the buisness would all shut shop up else were and start the buisness in these towns were they can get cheap labour, so increase the profit for themselves and shareholders. Just forces wages down even more. Buisness dont bother about the workforce or the country, only profit counts at any human cost

No, UK businesses could not utilise the immigrant work force. There work would be provided by the government and all profits get ploughed back in to the UK economy and even used to support manufacturing Industries.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Stick all the anti-immigration lot behind a fence with their own kind and let the rest of us carry on with our lives

So that would be the whole of the UK then judging by the opinion polls?

Sounds fine by me.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Wilberforce will be spinning in his grave!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    No, UK businesses could not utilise the immigrant work force. There work would be provided by the government and all profits get ploughed back in to the UK economy and even used to support manufacturing Industries.
    So private buisness would either go bust or be taken over by the state as the state at the momment does not have a manufacturing Industries. You know they tried the same thing in prisons making the inmates do productive work and what was found was the companies got rid of workers on the outside factories, and moved the work to the prisons.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A town or city in the UK inhabited entirely by immigrants?

That's London isn't it?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that would be the whole of the UK then judging by the opinion polls?

Sounds fine by me.

The whole of the uk isn't racist. It would be a few hundred thousand losers living in a 1950s Aryan wonderland behind a fence
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Lives doing what and how are those who are anti immigration effecting it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    So private buisness would either go bust or be taken over by the state as the state at the momment does not have a manufacturing Industries.

Don't get the logic how they would go bust. The farming industry is subsidised by the government already this would be the same thing if needed. I don't think it would be an issue at all in fact the reverse.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be silly it would be nothing like that and it would be a free choice to enter not forced. Of course people could where what ever they wanted there would be no fashion restrictions.

Ok...so if you emigrated to another country and had the choice to live in a walled-off city or freely in another part of the country , what would YOU do?
This discussion has been closed.