Options

How do they film it and what goes on in the studio?

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
For example we have just seen Janette with Jake waiting to see if they get through to the ifnal and now here she is performing to Paloma Faith.

I know it is all edited for the telly, but at what point would the guests in the audience see Paloma Faith perform?

Comments

• Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the guest singer is filmed before the live show on saturday night
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    the guest singer is filmed before the live show on saturday night

Cheers for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For example we have just seen Janette with Jake waiting to see if they get through to the ifnal and now here she is performing to Paloma Faith.

I know it is all edited for the telly, but at what point would the guests in the audience see Paloma Faith perform?

And why not use one of the eliminated female pros for the dance instead?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why not use one of the eliminated female pros for the dance instead?
    Because they go and tear ligaments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Not every single one of them.

Aliona, Natalie, Joanne and Iveta are all still available to dance.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I thought Aliajz danced with Joanne in the pro dances.
  • Options
    Debz_LynnDebz_Lynn Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Aliajz has done Steve, but his usual partner is his girlfriend, Janette.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Debz_Lynn wrote: »
    Aliajz has done Steve

There's a fan-fiction in the making.
  • Options
    Debz_LynnDebz_Lynn Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Lol! Well spotted, and lucky Steve :P
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Janette's not his usual partner, in fact she and Aljaz rarely dance together (they were particularly excited about the Halloween week pro dance where they did dance together) except for the odd dance to guest artists that's usually vaguely a Rumba, and the odd bit of partner swapping in pro dances. Janette is too short to be a suitable dance partner for Aljaz really, and they didn't dance together when they were in Burn the Floor either. They do showdances together in the off-season, but presumably not any involving ballroom!

There are no fixed pro partnerships this year, and Janette is more often than not the spare who disappears halfway through a pro dance.

As for Janette being Ola's replacement instead of any other female pro, my guess is what we saw tonight was something that was already in Janette and Aljaz's repertoire, so required little rehearsal time and didn't involve anyone having to learn a new routine.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It has even been known for the guest artist to be recorded the week before broadcast or even during the week before broadcast if they aren't available on the night.
  • Options
    martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pro dance routine perfomed on last week's results show (splashing around with the water) was, I thought, filmed on a separate day. I thought some of the pros had tweeted about filming it.

That routine is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5S5seec5I

As the camera pans around there are some brief shots which do include an audience. At 2 mins 10 secs you seem to be able to see almost the entire audience on the right side, and at 2mins 15 secs you can see the audience on the left side.

I don't know if that audience was people brought in just for that performance, or artificially generated some way (perhaps merging images of the live audience from another show, though they do seem to be clapping in tune).

There was a lot of cheering and clapping throughout the performance. I don't know if that was real or synthesised.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It has even been known for the guest artist to be recorded the week before broadcast or even during the week before broadcast if they aren't available on the night.

Yes, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett was filmed a couple of weeks previous to when it was broadcast, IIRC.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some earlier dances had CGI use so would have been filmed the week before. The show I saw had the correct studio guests but there was no Sunday night opening sequence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    martyboy wrote: »
    As the camera pans around there are some brief shots which do include an audience. At 2 mins 10 secs you seem to be able to see almost the entire audience on the right side, and at 2mins 15 secs you can see the audience on the left side.

I don't know if that audience was people brought in just for that performance, or artificially generated some way (perhaps merging images of the live audience from another show, though they do seem to be clapping in tune).

Worked at the beeb in the distant past, and sometimes what would happen with things like this when a segment is being filmed mid-week, they'd send an email around to staff in the same building saying audience wanted, and people who fancied a bit of a show in the lunch break or whatever would turn up and fill the seats. You can always rustle up an audience from somewhere!
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

actually I don't believe she is, Aljaz is dancing with Joanne during Strictly, I don't think Janette has a partner as there is an odd number of male pros

I don't think they danced together when they did Burn The Floor either but someone who saw the show might need to clarify that
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    actually I don't believe she is, Aljaz is dancing with Joanne during Strictly, I don't think Janette has a partner as there is an odd number of male pros

I don't think they danced together when they did Burn The Floor either but someone who saw the show might need to clarify that

None of them have fixed partners this year, quite a few of the pros have mentioned in interviews that there's a lot more swapping around compared to previous years.

And I think Janette has said herself she didn't dance with Aljaz on Burn the Floor (there really is too much of a height difference). Kevin and Karen didn't initially dance together either - Aljaz and Karen said a few weeks ago when their pro challenge was shown that they used to dance together on BTF!