Options

9 Hours of Cartoons on BBC One Today!

fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know its Christmas Eve, but do we really need the main channel to show 9 hours of cartoons!

why dont they limit it to 2 animated movies a day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous, they already have dedicated kids channels, why fill up the main channel with even more childrens programmes?
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Saves paying actors.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have been 9 hours of Bargain Hunt instead!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't show films on the childrens channels.

The films/animations are aimed at a family audience

Christmas is acknowledged as a time for children so it is not at all unusual to show programmes of interest to children during the daytime/early evening.
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    They don't show films on the childrens channels.
    Oh yes they do. But it's certainly odd to describe a few animated movies as "9 hours of cartoons", no question.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Imagine if BBC ONE were showing 9 hours of "cartoons" today.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antbox wrote: »
    Oh yes they do.
    If they show feature films (80mins+{) then my mistake (no children now).
    But it's certainly odd to describe a few animated movies as "9 hours of cartoons", no question.
    Indeed, but it does give opportunity for another rather unjustified whinge against the BBC.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I just had to look at the listings and the "cartoons" look to be a nice selection of films, Wall-E (which is great, and as much fun if not more for adults than kids*), The curse of the were rabbit, gruffalo and shrek.
    Cartoons isn't even the right description for at least one of them (which is stop motion animation), although as has been said "cartoon" tends to invoke 5-30 minute shorts, rather than what are in fact animated feature films.

All told I'd say quite a nice family set of films for the run up to Christmas, and it's nice to see Wall-e on FTA TV.

*I suspect adults will get some of the more subtle references/jokes/commentary more than the kids.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like cartoons, better than some of the dross they put on, those endless antiques shows or cookery.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they figure that a lot of people will be out doing last minute shopping so why bother putting on something that they might want to watch.

I wonder how many hours of soap operas and period dross, sorry flagship dramas, they have tomorrow when they have a captive audience?
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    They're showing Wall-E and Toy Story 3, two fine moves for any age. You don't have to watch.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes a change from hours and hours of property makeover and antique programmes which seems to be BBC's staple output these days.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »
    I know its Christmas Eve, but do we really need the main channel to show 9 hours of cartoons!

why dont they limit it to 2 animated movies a day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

More animated Looney Tunes on DS, it's criminal (see handle of thread starter), maybe they are the original Road Runner and jealous of proper animation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    More animated Looney Tunes on DS, it's criminal (see handle of thread starter), maybe they are the original Road Runner and jealous of proper animation?

Oh come on, he's either innocent or at least 'armless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    There are other channels that aren't showing animated films/cartoons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are other channels that aren't showing animated films/cartoons.

OK, thanks.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Bother. I saw the thread and hoped I could get home to settle down to a few hours of Tom & Jerry and Foghorn Leghorn, and it turns out to be decent quality family-friendly films. Ah well... :)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I hate to see Disney titles dismissed as cartoons for kids. They're really not. The whole family can enjoy these together.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    OK, thanks.

I have watched 27 cartoons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have watched 27 cartoons.

Haha, stop it now!! :D:D
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to think that Foghorn Leghorn could ever be only for kids.

Guys, it is a WORKING day. I booked it off.
    But we had a shift planned for 10am to 6pm at work....and as I say it is a Working Day, not a bank holiday. But it is a day children are not at school. so why not allow the BBC to show films with them in mind.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I hate to think that Foghorn Leghorn could ever be only for kids.

I agree wholeheatedly with you there.

And I say that as someone who bought the Looney Tunes golden collection, not to mention the other few hundred animated films in my collection :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it some of us never really grow out of the cartoons that we grew up with. :D
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bring back bargain hunt