Buying makeup duty free at the airport

Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all, going abroad next week and really want to buy some makeup duty free. How much percent do you get off the item? I've heard that they add in airport tax and crap like that, so it's not just simply 20% off. Also does anyone know if MAC still do those look in a box travel sets? (cant remember what they're called but it's a box filled with about 5 products and sold for much less than you would pay separately and they only do it at airports).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the retailer. I got some Benefit stuff at Mcr Airport a couple of months ago and most items were around £2-£3 less than in store.

L'Oreal I didn't think seemed much cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seems much cheaper to me :confused:
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found make-up cheaper at the airport, I usually try and get my products from Debenhams when they have their 70% off sale online.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God, I love duty free make up!
    They have fantastic sets of products like a trio of Dior addict lipsticks, and two Estee Lauder gel eyeliners, twelve Lancome juicy tubes etc.

MAC isn't really that discounted, unfortunately. I can't remember if MAC had "Look in a box" the last time I went... I do know what you're talking about. I was traveling around Christmas time so all the limited edition stuff was out - they were awesome, by the way!

Anyway, it just depends on what brand of make up you're thinking of buying. Personally, I always get the "sets" or the "grouped" products and I'll mostly buy high-end designer make up in duty free. I would purchase MAC, Loreal, Clinique etc in a regular department store since it ends up being the roughly the same price and duty free never seems to have much variety.

OH, PERFUMES ARE THE BOMB THOUGH! If you're liking any perfumes at the moment, check the price before you leave and then see the duty free price.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I always stock up on perfumes at duty free, you can save a decent amount.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, so you can only get duty free if they come in box sets then? When you say MAC isn't that discounted, is there any discount at all?
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, so you can only get duty free if they come in box sets then? When you say MAC isn't that discounted, is there any discount at all?

No no no, you can get individual items too! I just personally prefer the sets because that makes more sense to me.

There IS a discount on MAC but to be honest, I don't remember it to be more than like, £1 less maybe?
    I bought a few lipstics at £13.50 when it's £14.00 retail. Not the biggest discount ever, eh?

I recommend you browse the MAC website, make a mental note of the prices of the items you like and then compare the duty free prices. I'm sure you'll find some good discounts!

Have a great trip!
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much Sweh :)