Options

Smoking / e-cigs

EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
Forum Member
Many people have now switched from ciggies to e-cigs, its a more socially acceptable and safer way to satisfy the nicotine addiction (atm)

Those who have, what would you now classify yourself as, a smoker or non smoker?? And to those who don't have that need to feed, how do you see the habit and its partakers.

Comments

• Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't be a smoker unless you smoke.

Feeding a nicotine addiction, whether it's by chewing gum or vaping doesn't constitute smoking.

You have to be burning something to smoke afaik
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Many people have now switched from ciggies to e-cigs, its a more socially acceptable and safer way to satisfy the nicotine addiction (atm)

Those who have, what would you now classify yourself as, a smoker or non smoker?? And to those who don't have that need to feed, how do you see the habit and its partakers.

I think 'well done'. It's great to see so many people ditch conventional cigarettes for e-cigs.

Also, many people use the adjective 'vaper', rather than smoker or non-smoker because it clearly is a limited term.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i see them as nicotine addicts who have just changed their method, a bit like a smackhead changing from tooting to pins [though the reasons are different].
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    You can't be a smoker unless you smoke.

Feeding a nicotine addiction, whether it's by chewing gum or vaping doesn't constitute smoking.

You have to be burning something to smoke afaik

So on a health or insurance form what would you tick, smoker or non smoker?
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see them as nicotine addicts who have just changed their method, a bit like a smackhead changing from tooting to pins [though the reasons are different].

Me too.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see them as nicotine addicts who have just changed their method, a bit like a smackhead changing from tooting to pins.

Me three

I'm not against e-cigs, they're cheaper and less harmful than real cigarettes you can't argue with that. But I'll call you an ex-smoker when you've quit nicotine, not while you'll be selling your body for a cigarette if you leave your e-cig at home by accident
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cross both out and write 'electronic-cig user' underneath. Let the insurer or health provider decide what they want to record based on the context they need the information for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Non smoker. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 2 years. I very much enjoy my ecig though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too.

And how do you see those that vape 0mg ecigs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    Non smoker. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 2 years. I very much enjoy my ecig though.

Well done! Its obviously a healthier option as far as we know, but aren't there still some health risks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They still have a habit they cannot kick.

Smoking is also about doing something with your hands or a prop to use in a stressful situation, something to concentrate on.

I'm not saying its a bad habit but some do look pretty silly. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done! Its obviously a healthier option as far as we know, but aren't there still some health risks?

Nothing proven or documented. Ecigs have been around for over 9 years. There's yet to be a death by vaping recorded. I don't have any concerns.
  • Options
    Forum Member

the same as clean junkies who bang up water [or anything] for the needle fix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They still have a habit they cannot kick.

Smoking is also about doing something with your hands or a prop to use in a stressful situation, something to concentrate on.

I'm not saying its a bad habit but some do look pretty silly. :blush:

You're right. It's like biting your nails or picking your cuticles. .. As for it looking silly. I don't really care how it looks to other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing proven or documented. Ecigs have been around for over 9 years. There's yet to be a death by vaping recorded. I don't have any concerns.

They used to think smoking was safe, and in fact a healthy thing to do. :o I would not be surprised if people were dying in another 20 odd years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, of course. Inhaling flavoured steam is just like shooting up with water.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People do that? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, of course. Inhaling flavoured steam is just like shooting up with water.....

they are addicts continuing the method without the substance, it`s no different, you asked what i think, there`s no need to be arsey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

yes they do.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if kids are taking up 'vaping' now rather than 'cigs' behind the bike sheds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They used to think smoking was safe, and in fact a healthy thing to do. :o I would not be surprised if people were dying in another 20 odd years.

The two main ingredients in ecig juice are found in many many foodstuffs - maybe you should worry about what you eat, and leave the unknown dangers of vaping to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are addicts continuing the method without the substance, it`s no different, you asked what i think, there`s no need to be arsey.

Not being arsey - just find your comparisons pretty ridiculous.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    ive never smoked but may get an e cig ..i want something that looks stylish and isnt cheap looking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not being arsey - just find your comparisons pretty ridiculous.

how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

I'm glad you asked lol. I've not heard this before?